AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My draft philosophy has evolved, and so will my draft board formula.

There was a time that I thought that the best way to select players was to create a formula that factored in need (position) and "skill level" in equal parts.

After several years of seeing players who play the "right position" being over-drafted, while players who were taken despite the lack of immediate need excelling, I've modified my view.

The most imporant factor is college peformance. For all the weighing, measuring, timing nd interviewng, a player who consistently performs at a high level against quality competition in college has the highest probability of success in the NFL. It is funny how this is often forgotten when the "workout warriors" emerge.

The next two factors that must be considered are measurables and need. While some take too narrow a view of the measurements required for a given position (i.e. "an elite WR must be at least 6'0 and run a 4.40."), there are minimum qualifications that must be taken into consideration (i.e. I can't think of a single WR who was 5'10 and ran a 4.7 and succeeded in the NFL). Need is also a factor, though one should never pass up an "A" prospect simply because the team is "set" at the position (unless, perhaps, its a QB).

The final factors are health and character. While players with health issues and sketchy track records in college can turn things around in the NFL, these are red flags that have to be taken into consideration.

In the end, the goal is to acquire talent, then figure out how to use it, rather than shoe-horning players into positions of "need." That's how the great teams do it, and that's how I'm going to try to evaluate this year's draft.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: My draft philosophy has evolved, and so will my draft board formula.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There was a time that I thought that the best way to select players was to create a formula that factored in need (position) and "skill level" in equal parts.

After several years of seeing players who play the "right position" being over-drafted, while players who were taken despite the lack of immediate need excelling, I've modified my view.

The most imporant factor is college peformance. For all the weighing, measuring, timing nd interviewng, a player who consistently performs at a high level against quality competition in college has the highest probability of success in the NFL. It is funny how this is often forgotten when the "workout warriors" emerge.

The next two factors that must be considered are measurables and need. While some take too narrow a view of the measurements required for a given position (i.e. "an elite WR must be at least 6'0 and run a 4.40."), there are minimum qualifications that must be taken into consideration (pass up an "A" prospect simply because the team is "set" at the position (unless, perhaps, its a QB).

The final factors are health and character. While players with health issues and sketchy track records in college can turn things around in the NFL, these are red flags that have to be taken into consideration.

In the end, the goal is to acquire talent, then figure out how to use it, rather than shoe-horning players into positions of "need." That's how the great teams do it, and that's how I'm going to try to evaluate this year's draft.
    [/QUOTE] i.e. I can't think of a single WR who was 5'10 and ran a 4.7 and succeeded in the NFL). [/QUOTE]

Well, how about Danny Amendola? I believe he fits the parameters you have laid out. At any rate I do agree with your updated criteria for evaluating draft prospects.

I hope that the Rams are looking closely at changing/revising the way they draft players. Enough already with the Keystone Kops and Three Stooges approach..

WHAT SAY YE?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Well, how about Danny Amendola? I believe he fits the parameters you have laid out. At any rate I do agree with your updated criteria for evaluating draft prospects.
    Amendola ran a hair under 4.70. That said, his overall measurables are poor, and I would say he has been only a marginal success in the NFL.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Amendola ran a hair under 4.70. That said, his overall measurables are poor, and I would say he has been only a marginal success in the NFL.
    I agree. I am so hoping that Greg Salas comes to camp next year and takes the slot position for good. Danny can be 5th receiver/punt returner.

Amendola catching 85 passes next year probably means we struggled on offense again...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The "key" here is that this is the 1st thread without the word "FISHER" in it that I've seen in a dogs age. Nice job Av!

I've said it before about our scouts and whoever else is involved in player grading. Something is wrong with their ability to grade talent. Sure we've had some good draft picks but overall we've wasted a lot of picks. That goes for the majority of the free agents we have brought in as well. It's time to either retool our scouting team or retrain them.