Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My Dream Off-season at this Point

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: My Dream Off-season at this Point

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    My claim, and I will stick by this, is that if Jake Matthews played LT on another football team he would be rated as high if not higher than Joeckel. They both play very differently but Matthews has the higher ceiling.
    Joeckel's the more athletic. But I'd say Matthews is the meaner and nastier. He could start at RT from day 1. And I agree with you....he could probably start LT from day 1.

And who could argue against that bloodline?! Hey Jake, what does you dad do? Oh well, he's retired now, but he was only a 2 decade starter in the NFL. You know, 14 time Pro Bowler. No big deal.
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-19-2012 at 11:13 AM.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Joeckel's the more athletic. But I'd say Matthews is the meaner and nastier. He could start at RT from day 1. And I agree with you....he could probably start LT from day 1.

And who could argue against that bloodline?! Hey Jake, what does you dad do? Oh well, he's retired now, but he was only a 2 decade starter in the NFL. You know, 14 time Pro Bowler. No big deal.
    Jake Matthews: "Hey Chris... my dad used to beat up your dad!"
    Chris Long: "Nuh-uh!!!"
    Jake Matthews: "Yuh-huh!!!"
    lostsoul likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Chance Warmack RG
    Jake Matthews RT
    Bacarri Rambo S

Free Agent
    Jairus Byrd S
    bigdogg2834 likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Chance Warmack RG
    Jake Matthews RT
    Bacarri Rambo S

Free Agent
    Jairus Byrd S
    My question is, who does Warmack replace? Turner or Dahl?

IMO, Turner has been the superior player.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    My question is, who does Warmack replace? Turner or Dahl?

IMO, Turner has been the superior player.
    Dahl will be back for sure. He would replace Turner. Turner has shown he is valuable as a back up Center and Guard. We need depth on the O line, we can't afford to lose one guy and have to shuffle the line or have a huge drop off like this year.

Fisher on his show said he loves Dahl and the way he gets after it. The Rams run more to the right side due to Dahl. That could change with Warmack.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    Because at some point the Rams need to make a committment to the offensive side of the ball and in protecting Bradford.
    But it doesn't seem like there are good recievers this year. I'm more than happy to draft those offensive linemen though

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    But it doesn't seem like there are good recievers this year. I'm more than happy to draft those offensive linemen though
    there are plenty of good receivers this year. You also didn't want to grab one of the top receivers in free agency.

Having a great line isn't going to mean much when we still lack top playmakers. I think line has to be a priority but you've basically said we need to focus on the line in free agency and the draft. That would be a huge mistake imo. Sure we'd have a great line but with the same receiving corps and SJax a year older our offense isn't going to be much better, if any.

I just don't get how you and Rambos both think we should pass on pretty much all the playmaking talent and go in to next year with Amendola still our #1 receiver.

We need to either

1. Sign one of Bowe or Wallce

or

2. spend one of our first 3 picks drafting another wide receiver
    THOLTFAN81 and RockinRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    there are plenty of good receivers this year. You also didn't want to grab one of the top receivers in free agency.

Having a great line isn't going to mean much when we still lack top playmakers. I think line has to be a priority but you've basically said we need to focus on the line in free agency and the draft. That would be a huge mistake imo. Sure we'd have a great line but with the same receiving corps and SJax a year older our offense isn't going to be much better, if any.

I just don't get how you and Rambos both think we should pass on pretty much all the playmaking talent and go in to next year with Amendola still our #1 receiver.

We need to either

or

I have made it clear as to why I would pass on Wallace so I will not go there. As far as not upgrading this offense. I'm open to taking a receiver and or TE to help. You are making it sound as if I have not suggested your second option. Which is just not true I have. No one knows how the draft will fall and who will be there for us when we pick.

The bottom line it's about winning games and there clearly is a need to upgrade the O line.

How many passing TDs do we have 18 not great but not god awful.

How many rushing TD's do we have? Four and that is beyond god awful. That stat alone tells me why we did not make the playoffs this year. IF we had 14 rushing TDs that would have produced a few more wins. We have four rushing TD and one of those came on a fourth down run by Bradford. It's really the weakest thing about our offense.

When you look at the big picture and not just focus on the passing game it more then obvious we need to address the O line. With SJ, DR and Pead we have more then enough talent to have three TD's this late in the season.

Having a great line isn't going to mean much when we still lack top playmakers.
    Having a great O line is so important. Keeps your QB on the field,opens holes to score TD's in the redzone.

BY JEFF GORDON,
    OFFENSIVE LINE: Right tackle Barry Richardson allowed a sack just three plays into the game, playing turnstile for Brian Robison. On the second Rams possession, left tackle Rodger Saffold erased what would have been a 12-yard completion to Gibson for a first down on the Minnesota 32. The Rams had to punt . . . and a bleak tone was set for the day. Wells botched a center snap that the Vikings converted into a field goal. Bradford took four sacks and absorbed a beating. “Sam was under quite a bit of pressure,” coach Jeff Fisher said with an understatement. The line stacked up false-start penalties again, including two costly calls on their last possession of the first half. “Guys were flinching,” Fisher said. “We were . . . changing things at the line of scrimmage and that didn’t help us.” Oh, and right guard Harvey Dahl suffered a season-ending biceps tear amid all this failure. The line opened a few big rushing holes and afforded Bradford time to pile up some late yardage, but overall it failed.

Grade: F
    This O line needs to be fix.

Keep in mind my approach to the Rams is long term, we are building a team that can dominate for decades. If you build inside out and are successful the team will have great success.

I'm not saying that we don't need elite WR's on this team of course we do. What I'm saying is before we start building the structure lets make sure we have our foundation in place.

Having Wallace on the out side would be GREAT, having Bradford get knockout out for any period of time would be devastating.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-22-2012 at 02:56 PM.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

We need to either

or

You really do suck at reading. I have said post in and out I'm not interested in Wallace but I'm fine with Bowe. Learn to respect other peoples opinions.

Its all good anyway. Just because a random fan is interested or not interested in Wallace doesn't mean the Rams will follow that. At the end of the day the rams will pick who fits best. If they get Wallace, ill support him and hope he leads the league on receiving stats. Until then, no thanks, pass on Wallace.

*Disclaimer: In case you still can't read. No interest in Wallace does not mean, no interest in another playmaking reciever in FA or draft*
    Rambos likes this.

I have made it clear as to why I would pass on Wallace so I will not go there. As far as not upgrading this offense. I'm open to taking a receiver and or TE to help. You are making it sound as if I have not suggested your second option. Which is just not true I have. No one knows how the draft will fall and who will be there for us when we pick.

The bottom line it's about winning games and there clearly is a need to upgrade the O line.

How many passing TDs do we have 18 not great but not god awful.

How many rushing TD's do we have? Four and that is beyond god awful. That stat alone tells me why we did not make the playoffs this year. IF we had 14 rushing TDs that would have produced a few more wins. We have four rushing TD and one of those came on a fourth down run by Bradford. It's really the weakest thing about our offense.

When you look at the big picture and not just focus on the passing game it more then obvious we need to address the O line. With SJ, DR and Pead we have more then enough talent to have three TD's this late in the season.

Having a great O line is so important. Keeps your QB on the field,opens holes to score TD's in the redzone.

This O line needs to be fix.

Keep in mind my approach to the Rams is long term, we are building a team that can dominate for decades. If you build inside out and are successful the team will have great success.

I'm not saying that we don't need elite WR's on this team of course we do. What I'm saying is before we start building the structure lets make sure we have our foundation in place.

Having Wallace on the out side would be GREAT, having Bradford get knockout out for any period of time would be devastating.
    we only have a handful of rushing touchdowns because we have a mediocre running back. There I said it. I know we love to fawn over SJax and how he's been one of the few highlights of the last 5 years but at this point he is an average to low level running back.

If we get a guy who can hit the hole and hit it quickly(something Jackson didn't even do in his prime) we should pick up a lot more rushing td's.

I just don't see a reason why we can't upgrade all three positions in free agency and the draft and I don't find it necessary to spend two firsts on linemen(something they most likely won't do).

Either upgrade RT or LG in the first round but that's it. Even the best lines don't have a first or 2nd round pick at every position.

I just don't see Givens as a #1 receiver like you do. I don't see Wallace as a true #1 either but if you don't have that guy then having 3 or 4 very good receivers is almost as good an option.
    Last edited by mcpeepants232003; -12-23-2012 at 03:03 AM.

we only have a handful of rushing touchdowns because we have a mediocre running back. There I said it. I know we love to fawn over SJax and how he's been one of the few highlights of the last 5 years but at this point he is an average to low level running back.

If we get a guy who can hit the hole and hit it quickly(something Jackson didn't even do in his prime) we should pick up a lot more rushing td's.

I just don't see a reason why we can't upgrade all three positions in free agency and the draft and I don't find it necessary to spend two firsts on linemen(something they most likely won't do).

Either upgrade RT or LG in the first round but that's it. Even the best lines don't have a first or 2nd round pick at every position.

I just don't see Givens as a #1 receiver like you do. I don't see Wallace as a true #1 either but if you don't have that guy then having 3 or 4 very good receivers is almost as good an option.
    We don't even have a handful of rushing TDs it's a real issue along with the poor pass protection and a ton of per snap penalties.

We do have a guy that hits the hole about as quick as a RB can in DR, the issues is there just in not many holes to hit.

I'm not going to argue about SJ, scoring TD's has never been his strong suit.

All of us have ideas and wants as to what we would like to see the Rams do. Reality will set in and start to take shape quick after the season ends and free agency hits. Will the Rams go after a big time WR, we will find out soon.

If the Rams went after Wallace I would support that move. I just don't think they will.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-23-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams went after Wallace I would support that move. I just don't think they will.
    And for the record, neither do I. To be honest, I don't think they'll be willing to pony up the dough for one of the true impact FA receivers, even though I think the benefits of adding one to this offense would be huge.

My free agency plan would include heavy pursuit of a top veteran receiver, because to me, the strength of this draft's first round - where the Rams have two picks - is along the offensive line. So you can nab a very good OL prospect (or two, if you're inclined) for relatively cheap with those first round picks.

To me, you get more bang for your buck by going top FA receiver and a rookie 1st round OL than you do going top FA lineman and a rookie first-round receiver. You're going to have to shell out big bucks to get any of the top FA linemen, just like you would a receiver. But one could argue that you could find rookie prospect who could quickly become just as efficient in the first round of this class. I don't think you can say the same for the receiver talent, at least not as confidently. Maybe you can if you like these receivers more than I do, but that doesn't appear to be the consensus in the draft community from what I've read.

Plus, people love to point out the veteran free agent receiving busts to try and argue against signing a big free agent, but let's be sure not to ignore the fact that the Rams have a hole at left guard and needed to sign Scott Wells at center because two previous free agent offensive linemen underwhelmed to say the least when they came here (Bell and Brown).
    Rambos, THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.

^ I agree with everything you said Nick.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Barry Richardson is a starter on the Rams. There. Enough said.
    you go and get a young superstar tackle for Boudreau to groom.
    RockinRam likes this.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Your point on rushing TD is on point. The Rams need to improve in this area if they want to be more consistent. I do believe we could use a mauler guard like Womack. It will instantly upgrade the line.

Go Rams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast