• 1 Post By ManofGod
  • 1 Post By ManofGod
  • 2 Post By CRAZYHORNS
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: My Final Mock Draft

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

My Final Mock Draft

I have gone back and forth on who I want the Rams to draft. I feel on defense we need a SLB, FS, and possibly a SS to compete with Stewart if we dont bring back Mikell. On offense we had our top RB Jackson and three WRs leave from last year two of which Amendola and Gibson contributed a good bit the last few years. I would like to draft two WRs and one physcial RB to compliment Pead and Richardson. Offensive line should be better then last year since we should have Wells and Rok back at the start of the season and Long at LT with Saffold at RT. Having Wells, Rok, and Long healthy to start the season along with Dahl and Saffold should be a huge boost to the OL. We also know what we have now in Williams, Smith, and Barksdale as backups. After having signed Long and getting some of those other guys back I prefer to draft other postions this year early. This mock draft is assuming no trades and no signings of anyone that is not already on the roster.

Draft:

1 (16)Tavon Austin WR 5'9 175 4.34 40
    Would be agreat replacement for Amendola.

1 (22) Justin Hunter WR 6'4 200
    In the short term should replace Gibson long term more potential then Gibson.

2 Arthur Brown LB 6'1 240
    Should be able to replace McIntosh short term and a long term upgrade.

3 Baccari Rambo FS 6'0 220
    Upgrade over Dahl from day1.

4 Marcus Lattimore RB 5'11 220 or Christine Michael RB 5'10 220
    Powerfull inside runner would be a nice compliment to Pead and Richardson.

5 Shawn Williams SS 6'0 215
    I would like tosee Stewart get another shot and wouldn't mind seeing a competition of Williams and Stewart to replace the aging Mikell

6 Terry Hawthorne CB 6'0 195 4.44 40
    Depth at CB.

7 Roger Gaines OT 6'6 335 28 bench 36.28 arms
    IF and it is abig if an OL stays healthy then the reserves hardly ever see the field. I thinkif Saffold is on the roster we only have one position up for grabs in LG and wehave three younger players already that competing for it. Between Rok,Williams, and Smith one of them should be good enough to start. If an OL goes down we should have decent depthwith some of those players starting last year. Barksdale look like a decentbackup OT and Gaines is a big strong OT that is raw but has good potential todevelop into a RT. I would prefer to use picks this year on other holes and tryupgrading the OL more next year when Saffold might leave or if Dahl or Wells iscut.

Offense: (25)
    (10)
    QB (2) – Sam Bradford 6’4 230 24, Austin Davis 6'2 220 23
    RB (3) - Isaiah Pead 5'10 200 4.41 40, Daryl Richardson 5'11 200 4.38 40, Marcus Lattimore 5'11 220
    FB (1) –Terrance Ganaway 6'1 240 24 4.55

TE1 (4) – Jared Cook 6'5 250 25 4.49 40,Mike McNeill 6'4 235 24
    TE2 - Lance Kendricks 6’3 25025 4.50 40, Cory Harkey 6'4 260 22

(6)
    WR1 – Chris Givens 5'11 200 4.35 40, FA
    WR2 -
    Brian Quick 6'4 220, Austin Pettis 6’2 210 4.6 40
    WR3 -
    Tavon Austin 5'9 175 4.34 40, Justin Hunter 6'4 200

(9)
    LT – Jake Long 6'7 320 28, Joe Barksdale 6'5 330 24
    LG–Rokevious Watkins 6'4 340, Chris Williams OG/OT 6'6 320 27
    C –Scott Wells 6'2 300 32, Shelley Smith 6'4 305 25
    RG–Harvey Dahl 6’5 305 30, Shelley Smith 6'4 305 25
    RT - Rodger Saffold 6’5 325 23, Roger Gaines 6'6 335 28 bench 36.28 arms

Defense: (25)
    DL(9)
    DE(4) – Chris Long 6'3 275 27, Eugene Sims 6'6 250 26
    DT(5) –Kendall Langford 6'6 295 26, Jermelle Cudjo 6'2 310 25
    DT- Michael Brockers 6'5 325, Matt Conrath 6'7 290 (23), FA
    DE – Robert Quinn 6’4 270 4.57 40 21, William Hayes 6'3275 27

LB(6)
    SLB– Arthur Brown 6'1 240, FA
    MLB– James Laurinatis 6’2 245 25, Josh Hull 6'3 240 24
    WLB–
    Jo-Lonn Dunbar 6'0 230 27, Sammy Brown 6'2 245 22

DB (5)
    LCB –Cortland Finnegan 5'10 188 28
    RCB – Janoris Jenkins 5-10 195, FA
    NCB- Trumaine Johnson 6'2 205, Terry Hawthorne 6'0 195 4.44

S(5)
    FS – Baccari Rambo 6'0 220, Rodney McLeod FS/CB 5'11 185 22
    SS –Darian Stewart 5’11 215 23, Shawn Williams 6'0 215, Matt Daniels 6'1 210 22

Special Teams (3)
    P- Johnny Hekker 6'6 230
    K- Zuerlein Greg 6'0 190
    LS – Jake McQuaide 6'2 247 24
    KR/PR-Tavon Austin 5'9 175 4.34 40
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-11-2013 at 10:21 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: My Final Mock Draft

Hate it, sorry.

I want Rok Watkins to do well, I really really do, but I can't trust a late round pick who got hurt for the year 7 plays into his rookie season, when he wasn't even a starter then, to come in and start.

Second, you have us taking our 4th or 5th WR, who will see less than 5 snaps a game at #22. In terms of value, it's horrible, when we have holes at Safety, OLB, possibly nickel corner(based on Johnson's DUI), and the aforementioned OG. Don't mind the guy, just can't believe using that pick.

Lastly, I think the value's off a bit on Brown. I'v heard rumors of him sneaking into the 1st, which I doubt, but don't think he'll make it to us in the 2nd. This is nitpicky, though, any OLB could be the pick. I'd favor a Will, to be honest, as I think that Dunbar has big liabilities in coverage.
    ManofGod likes this.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Hate it, sorry.
    I want Rok Watkins to do well, I really really do, but I can't trust a late round pick who got hurt for the year 7 plays into his rookie season, when he wasn't even a starter then, to come in and start.
    Williams and Smith both looked good last year and they would be competing with Rok. They have said Rok has dedicated himslef more and showed glimpses of being a starter last year before injury. I am not that concerened with us being able to find a decent starting LG this year. Even though I think Rok has the potential to be a good starter possibly even this year I am not counting on him realizing it this year. The coaching staff seems to like both Williams and Smith. It would be hard for any rookie except maybe Warmack to come in and play better.

Second, you have us taking our 4th or 5th WR, who will see less than 5 snaps a game at #22.
    He would be at least the 4th WR IMO because I don't think very highly of Pettis. Although I like his potential there are no gaurantee that Quick will develop into a good starting WR this year and Austin could be used in the slot some. Hunter has the speed and ability that there is a chance he could outperform Quick this year. We could definetly use two good WRs out of this draft one of which can play some slot.

In terms of value, it's horrible, when we have holes at Safety, OLB, possibly nickel corner(based on Johnson's DUI),
    You mentioned we had holes at defensive positions. Those holes are much easier to fill then the lack of points that we have been scoring on offense. We lost our #2 and #3 WR. Austin and Hunter (SEC) have the chance to be #2 and #3 WR's this year. There only real competition on the team for that is Quick and though I like his potential I could easily see him getting outperformed. Pettis only had 261 yards (8.7 per catch) all of last year and Quick only had 151 yards. Pettis IMO is not very good.

As for safety holes Stewart was a starter two years ago and performed well then. I drafted Williams a SS in the 5th to compete with him. I think Fisher would be fine with a 5th round SS competing with Stewart for the starting position but if not they could still resign Mikell as well. FS would be much improved with Rambo over Craig Dahl I dont think anything else needs to be said about that.

You mention passing up a OLB at #22. We need a SLB and they just are not that valuable hince that is why Fisher filled the position with couple old vets in McIntosh and Hagan ast year. That is why a guy like Daryl Smith has not been getting much play from several teams.

As for a nickle/CB based on Johsons DUI as you put it. He will not receive any suspension since his first offense is a warning. Still however 3 of my 8 draft choices where DBs one of which was a CB. Fisher has also said he could use McLeod at CB some.

and the aforementioned OG. Don't mind the guy, just can't believe using that pick.
    At OG we have two guys in Williams and Smith (6 starts last year) that played G last year and the coaching staff liked. We have Rok who has dedicated his self this offseason and has good potential. Not to mention we have seen what Boudreau can do last year with all the different OL combinations. If we get more games this year out of Wells, Rok and Saffold who combined to miss 31 of 48 games along with the addition of Long we should have a much better OL.

Lastly, I think the value's off a bit on Brown. I'v heard rumors of him sneaking into the 1st, which I doubt, but don't think he'll make it to us in the 2nd. This is nitpicky, though, any OLB could be the pick. I'd favor a Will, to be honest, as I think that Dunbar has big liabilities in coverage.
    Walters has Brown picked after our second round pick and Draft Countdown has us selecting him with our second round pick. I think there is a good chance of him being there when we pick in the second round.

One final note you want four defensive positions or an offensive position with the #22 pick over WR. Our defense was good last year and our biggest improvements will come when we put more points on the board. You even talked about drafting a 4th CB at #22 when we have three good ones instead of a good WR.

Points, Points, and more Points that is what we need to take the next step.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-11-2013 at 11:33 PM.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Every year that "one guy" has a great combine and 'moves up" draft boards, but that does not translate to success in the NFL. Best case scenario he is the 2nd coming of Steve Smith, but that is a huge chance to take for us at #16 when we have so many other holes on our team. I say take OG at #16 and then #22 LB (Ogletree). I say we address WR in rounds 3 or 4.

I just cant' image why we would draft a player who may only be a slot WR his entire career at #16 when we have so many holes to fill.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -04-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    TekeRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Every year that "one guy" has a great combine and 'moves up" draft boards, but that does not translate to success in the NFL. Best case scenario he is the 2nd coming of Steve Smith, but that is a huge chance to take for us at #16 when we have so many other holes on our team. I say take OG at #16 and then #22 LB (Ogletree). I say we address WR in rounds 3 or 4.

I just cant' image why we would draft a player who may only be a slot WR his entire career at #16 when we have so many holes to fill.
    Here are some reasons:
    1. We no longer have Amendola.
    2. Field Position Punt Returner and Kick Returner
    3. We need points
    4. We need offense
    5. Speed
    6. Durability
    7. Production

Between kick and punt return field position and him playing WR he would have several yards year one.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Here are some reasons:
    3. We need points
    4. We need offense
    5. Speed
    6. Durability
    7. Production

Between kick and punt return field position and him playing WR he would have several yards year one.
    How many rushing TD's did the Rams have? I think you should reconsider your thoughts on passing on a guard when you look at the Rams run production and especailly thier production in the red zone with the run game.

Go Rams

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    How many rushing TD's did the Rams have? I think you should reconsider your thoughts on passing on a guard when you look at the Rams run production and especailly thier production in the red zone with the run game.

Go Rams
    We basically have 3 more offensive lineman than last year. Between Saffold, Wells, and Rok they only made 17 games last year combined. That is 31 games missed last year between them. If we get all of them back and we added Jake Long this will be a different OL. Not to mention Smith, Williams, and Barksdale performed well last year when called upon. Outside of Warmack there is no guard that you can say will play better in their first year then what we have. We only have three WR's on our roster and one is Pettis who I dont think is very good at all. Then we have Quick who has yet to prove he will reach his potential sooner rather than later. The only WR that produced a decent amount last year was Givens and he averaged 46 yards over 15 games. Heck all three WR's combined only had 1110 yards last year which averages out to be 69 yards per game over 16 games from all three WRs. We need to draft two WRs in the first three rounds this year IMO. We lost more yards in Gibson and Amendola leaving then we have in the three remaining WR's.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Sorry, just can't go WR, WR, with one a guy just like Quick. You only really need three good wide receivers if you have two good TE.
    Barry Waller

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Here are some reasons:
    3. We need points
    4. We need offense
    5. Speed
    6. Durability
    7. Production

Please check out this video from NFL.com they did a special today about the most overrated players in this years draft:

Tavon Austin, Star Lotulelei top NFL Draft's overrated prospects - NFL.com

In regards to your "reasons" to draft Austin, he is not a returner, his return numbers are not favorable at all. Patterson is actually a better option at both WR and KR/PR. Cook has the speed as well as the skill set to stretch the field, create matchup problems all over the field. One must question why we would draft basically the same player we already have in Givens.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

We basically have 3 more offensive lineman than last year. Between Saffold, Wells, and Rok they only made 17 games last year combined. That is 31 games missed last year between them. If we get all of them back and we added Jake Long this will be a different OL. Not to mention Smith, Williams, and Barksdale performed well last year when called upon. Outside of Warmack there is no guard that you can say will play better in their first year then what we have. We only have three WR's on our roster and one is Pettis who I dont think is very good at all. Then we have Quick who has yet to prove he will reach his potential sooner rather than later. The only WR that produced a decent amount last year was Givens and he averaged 46 yards over 15 games. Heck all three WR's combined only had 1110 yards last year which averages out to be 69 yards per game over 16 games from all three WRs. We need to draft two WRs in the first three rounds this year IMO. We lost more yards in Gibson and Amendola leaving then we have in the three remaining WR's.
    31 games missed between them even more reason to draft LIneman. Why would we want to count on Saffold when he has missed so many games. Warmack and Cooper are guards you can say will play better.

Notice you did not add Cook to your WR's total. Cook was paid WR money and everything I've seen rread indicates he will be playing alot at the slot.
    SWFCRAM and ManofGod like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I love Austin and I love Hunter, but I probably wouldn't draft them back to back.

No problems whatsoever drafting Austin at 16 if he were there, though it looks more and more like he won't be. Certainly not hung up on him being labeled a #1 WR or not. Number 1 playmaker is just as, if not more important IMO. Look no further than Wes Welker vs Brandon Lloyd last year if you need verification.

Absolutely couldn't care less, where his yards or TDs come from. Just care that they come. And I have never heard a coach say "we've got too many playmakers on this team", for those concerned about adding Austin to Cook in the slot.

However, there's a strong possibility that he won't be there at 16, and if he's not, Cordarelle Patterson is the second best option IMO. Very raw, but is unquestionably the next best playmaker in the draft.

And he would probably put those injury concerns of many posters on this board to rest because he's over 200 lbs. And we all know the bigger you are, the less chance you have of being injured.

If we're unable to secure Austin or Patterson, Justin Hunter would be my 3rd option at WR, but I'd hope to get him in the 2nd round.

Not high on drafting a Guard in the first round like a lot of posters suggest, because history has shown us time and time again that it is not necessary. And for that reason, I see it as a wasted pick. This draft for the Rams should be about playmakers at the top, whether it's offense or defense, IMO.

Contrary to popular belief on this board, the most important thing for an O-line is continuity, not 1st round Guards. From there they develop cohesiveness and from there, with good coaching, they become a good line. Add playmakers and stir.

The GSOT is the greatest example of that.

Like Lattimore in the 4th as long as he's fully recovered. Would also give DJ Swearinger some consideration in the 3rd.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-14-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    RamsSB99 likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

As everyone knows I am not as high as most of taking Austin in round 1, but it is very interesting if you can double up Austin and Hunter/Patterson/Allen since you are still getting your WR and you are still getting Austin as RB/joker....

This draft has so many possibilities every Rams fan can agree on one thing....CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!!
    RamsSB99 likes this.

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

There is no way Jeff Fisher takes a WR with 16 and 22.

The Rams expect Quick and Givens to improve this year, Pettis to play some slot and we will be playing a lot of 2 tight end sets. Tavon Austin or Patterson if available, after that I'd look to improve elsewhere.

I wouldnt even be surprised if we trade one of those and pick up more picks later on in the draft.

We will also pick up a DT at some point in the draft, can never have too many DT's.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Love Rambo in Round 3 and Lattimore in Round 4... But hate your 1st & 2nd rounders. Austin Too Small... Hunter Too Early & Brown I'll Pass...