• 1 Post By RealRam
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By lostsoul
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By ram1906

Thread: My final thoughts on Tavon Austin and the Draft

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

My final thoughts on Tavon Austin and the Draft

1. I do not believe in trading up for Austin.

2. The only time any team should trade up is if 1A-the team is in need of a franchise QB or 2B-when the team is one or two players away from a superbowl run.

3. If we trade up early with one of our first rounders, the only way i could personally justify that decision is if they trade back with their other to gain back the picks lost.

4. I was high on Austin at one point. very very high on him. But the kool-aid has been watered down. Personally i don't think he is #16 worthy, and trading up for him would be a mistake in my eyes.

5. At #16, id take Patterson over Austin. At #22 i would take Patterson over Austin. Starting part time slot wr's can be had later. People forget Cook will line up in the slot a lot.

6. Austin will not be a major part of our rb corp. He might get a couple touches a game but wont be used anywhere near the main RB he was against Oklahoma.

7. If we come out of round 1 and 2 with either Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, Woods, Hunter, Patton or Williams, i will be happy, and will be fine with taking another WR late in the draft.

8. If we draft Austin, i would hope we draft another WR in the 2nd.

9. I do not want a guard in the first round. But i can understand if we take Warmack if available. Cooper not so much.

10. If Richardson, Vaccarro, Austin and Patterson are available at #16, i'd take Richardson.

11. At #22 we are in the perfect position to take any WR that is considered a 1st/2nd rounder seeing as we pick right after teams that are in need of defense, and right before teams that are in need of some offense.

12. I will not be mad if we take a FS in the 2nd/3rd and a SS to compete with Stewart later in the draft.

13. None of us know what is going to happen.

14. Even if we move up for Austin, and draft a DE at #22, i will not scream the sky is falling. I will be confused a little, but i will be ok with it. Why? thats because...

15. I believe in Fishead, and know they know better then me and will do what is best for the team.

Here is to a great draft and a good future for our team. The Rams will do what is right, so lets enjoy this ride as we get better and stock up for 2014!!!!

GO RAMS!!!!!!

p.s. i am glad to be a member of this forum and am glad all of you are here as well. i have looked at many Rams forums and such, but this is the best one by far and am proud to of been a member for this long. Happy Draft day everyone!!!!!!!
    RealRam, Nick, MauiRam and 7 others like this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: My final thoughts on Tavon Austin and the Draft

Well that was a very good Av Jr list there Mr Tampa! lol I cant believe you dont' think Austin is 1st round talent. Sure he might not play every snap like power run sitations and the like but he can every part score between 6- Touchdowns a year which is what we need. If you ask me if the guy is a game changer he is worthy of a mid 1st round selection. Hope the weather is good there in the land of the sun! lol
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1. Agreed.

2. I don't know if those are the ONLY times, but I agree with the sentiment; it's not something one should make common practice.

3. That would make it easier to swallow, yes.

4. I'd be fine with him at #16, but I don't like the idea of trading up in general in the first round.

5. Fair point. I like Patterson and would feel better about him @ 22 (or Hopkins or Allen for that matter) than trading up for Austin.

6. Agreed.

7. Agreed, to an extent. I'm not as high on Woods or Williams as some here are, but they should be in the mix in the second round if the position hasn't been addressed.

8. I think that's a little overkill, to be honest.

9. I disagree; I think either guard would be very good choices in the first round.

10. Disagree.

11. Agreed.

12. Agreed.

13. Agreed.

14 & 15. To an extent, I agree.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

5. At #16, id take Patterson over Austin. At #22 i would take Patterson over Austin. Starting part time slot wr's can be had later. People forget Cook will line up in the slot a lot.

10. If Richardson, Vaccarro, Austin and Patterson are available at #16, i'd take Richardson.

11. At #22 we are in the perfect position to take any WR that is considered a 1st/2nd rounder seeing as we pick right after teams that are in need of defense, and right before teams that are in need of some offense.

Very good points.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I would add when they desperately need an offensive tackle, or a shutdown corner, or a great pass rushing end, and one is available, and maybe even a WR, and once in a while for other positions where a true superstar can be had, a Dickerson, a Faulk, etc.

It also depends on having extra picks to burn, like the Rams do in spades.
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I forgot to say, really tremendous work, especially from Israel !! I have many cousins there, one of whom is a sportswriter covering soccer.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, ans people may say that's unusual for me !!

Welcome to the Clan. I've been hooked since I met Dez online about 1999 or so. Keep up the good work.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    Barry Waller

citr92 is offline Registered User

anybody else like devonte holloman? OLB out of south carolina?

would be decent later round pick

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    7. If we come out of round 1 and 2 with either Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, Woods, Hunter, Patton or Williams, i will be happy, and will be fine with taking another WR late in the draft.

THIS. Woods, Hopkins, or Austin especially.
    citr92 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I agree with most things, except I'd be happy with Austin at 16 or even Cooper or Warmack at that spot.

I've been thinking about it, and maybe moving back from #16 would be a legit thing to do. From #16 to say 23-ish (Vikings?) so they can ensure Cordarrelle Patterson and we take their 2nd rounder. Then we can have #22 (DeAndre Hopkins), #23 (Johnathon Cyprien?), our 2nd rounder (Larry Warford), Vikes 2nd rounder (anything we want, CB, another S, OT, HB, OLB,).
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Well that was a very good Av Jr list there Mr Tampa! lol I cant believe you dont' think Austin is 1st round talent. Sure he might not play every snap like power run sitations and the like but he can every part score between 6- Touchdowns a year which is what we need. If you ask me if the guy is a game changer he is worthy of a mid 1st round selection. Hope the weather is good there in the land of the sun! lol
    lol why thank you. I wasn't trying to make a list like Av's, but it just happened. Guess Av's list was the part of the catalyst, the other was from watching videos on players last night and re watching some on Austin. If he works out great, i just don't see it right now. Its actually pretty cool over here still which is awesome. Hate the dang heat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    8. I think that's a little overkill, to be honest.
    True, might be overkill. But we still need outside wr's and if Patton or Hunter or Woods is available, id take them. maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I forgot to say, really tremendous work, especially from Israel !! I have many cousins there, one of whom is a sportswriter covering soccer.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, ans people may say that's unusual for me !!

Welcome to the Clan. I've been hooked since I met Dez online about 1999 or so. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for the kind words man!! Been on the site quite a few years but i will take a nice greeting any way i can get it thats cool you got some cousins over here, especially a sports writing one. Who does he cover if you dont mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    anybody else like devonte holloman? OLB out of south carolina?

would be decent later round pick
    I dont mind him, not in love with the pick, but as a late rounder its not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I agree with most things, except I'd be happy with Austin at 16 or even Cooper or Warmack at that spot.

I've been thinking about it, and maybe moving back from #16 would be a legit thing to do. From #16 to say 23-ish (Vikings?) so they can ensure Cordarrelle Patterson and we take their 2nd rounder. Then we can have #22 (DeAndre Hopkins), #23 (Johnathon Cyprien?), our 2nd rounder (Larry Warford), Vikes 2nd rounder (anything we want, CB, another S, OT, HB, OLB,).
    I could live with that. Still not high on taking a guard early. Would love to grab an OLB if with the other 2nd rounder if the value is there. Hopkins and Cyprien would be an awesome combo coming out of the first!!

ram1906 is offline Registered User

Here is my dream draft...and it doesn't include Austin
    1. Vaccaro- We have Stewart and no one at safety
    1a. Olgetree- this would shock most, but locking up a WLB for years would put our defense on point with the other teams in the west for the next 2 years. We would now have NO HOLES on defense.... Best D in the NFL!!! Defense wins championships
    2. Hopkins- Best hands of all the college receivers coming out
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    Here is my dream draft...and it doesn't include Austin
    1. Vaccaro- We have Stewart and no one at safety
    1a. Olgetree- this would shock most, but locking up a WLB for years would put our defense on point with the other teams in the west for the next 2 years. We would now have NO HOLES on defense.... Best D in the NFL!!! Defense wins championships
    2. Hopkins- Best hands of all the college receivers coming out
    I could live with this. Not sold on Vaccaro, but i dont think he is as bad as some people think either.
    Love the Ogletree and Hopkins picks. This would be a great 1st and 2nd round to start out our draft.