Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My First 2014 Draft Post: Pre-Season Watch List

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

My First 2014 Draft Post: Pre-Season Watch List

In 2014, the Rams will once again have two first round picks.

At this stage, it is impossible to know what the Rams will be looking for, but these positions are at the top of the list right now as potential targets (in no particular order):

RB: I think the odds are fairly good that, among the Rams many candidates, a No. 1 back will emerge from the current roster. If, however, that does not happen, RB could be a target.

OT: In 2013, Rodger Saffold will be playing his first season as a RT, and his last season under his rookie contract. The hope is that he will stay healthy, play well, and then re-sign for a reasonable price. If those three things don't happen, though, the Rams should have no trouble finding a potential starting RT in the draft.

DT: Kendall Langford will need to have a strong campaign in 2013 to show that he is worth his salary. If he does not, it will be very tempting to find a young DT in the draft to line up with Long, Quinn and Brockers.

OLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar is in the final year of his contract. I like the guy, and hope he's a long term solution. But, if he prices himself out of our market, there should be good options to replace him.

CB: Cortland Finnegan will be 30 when the 2014 draft rolls around. The Rams may wish to start looking for his replacement.

S: Safety is a big question mark going into 2013. It seems likely that the Rams will be looking to add aquire more talent at the position next year.

So... with these potential needs in mind, here is my current list of the top 15 prospects I'll be keeping my eye on during the 2013 college season:

1. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    2. Cyrus Kouandijo, OT, Alabama
    3. C.J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama
    4. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    5. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
    6. Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    7. Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
    8. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
    9. Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida
    10. Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
    11. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    12. Lachey Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    13. Tre Boston, S, North Carolina
    14. Craig Loston, S, LSU
    15. Antonio Andrews, RB, Western Kentucky
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -08-20-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: My First 2014 Draft Post: Pre-Season Watch List

HaHa Clinton-Dix > ... Next off-season will be a good one to need a S.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    The hope is that he (Saffold) will stay healthy, play well, and then re-sign for a reasonable price
    Sadly, if he completes steps 1 & 2, step 3 might be tough.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Sadly, if he completes steps 1 & 2, step 3 might be tough.
    True. That's why I'd caution fans not to get too attached to him, Dunbar or Langford. They are all targets for the "younger talent at a lower price" option next offseason.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

It's a good list, I'm hoping there's a ball hawking safety worth a 1st rounder in next year's draft.

I'd add guard to the list, both Shelly Smith and Chris Williams will be free agents potentially leaving a hole at LG. The Rams were looking at taking Larry Warford if Ogletree had been off the board at 30 this year so its not unreasonable to think they could target a guard in the lower first round if one takes their fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    It's a good list, I'm hoping there's a ball hawking safety worth a 1st rounder in next year's draft.

I'd add guard to the list, both Shelly Smith and Chris Williams will be free agents potentially leaving a hole at LG. The Rams were looking at taking Larry Warford if Ogletree had been off the board at 30 this year so its not unreasonable to think they could target a guard in the lower first round if one takes their fancy.
    That's a fair point. I guess I'm hoping that, between Dahl, Smith, Williams and Jones, the Rams have enough at the position for the next couple of years.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Great list. Some things that popped into my mind as I was reading it...

RB: The Rams have now spent three picks at the position. If for some reason this group is underwhelming in 2013 and the Rams feel reinforcements are needed, do they spend a fourth pick or look for some immediate help in free agency?

OT: You make a great case for the position, and I think you're spot on. The only thing I'd add is that a prospect with the versatility to play on the left side would be nice depending on how well Jake Long's health holds up.

DT: Absolutely, and I think this may be one of the Rams' top needs if in fact Langford doesn't impress. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams prioritize a three-technique style penetrator if Langford doesn't come along.

OLB: Good point on Dunbar, but with Laurinaitis and Ogletree looking like three-down candidates, a situational third man shouldn't be too hard to find.

CB: Agreed. I think Trumaine Johnson's progress is going to play a big role in what our need here truly is after this season.

S: Even if McDonald is what Fisher and company think he is, I don't think Darian Stewart or anyone else on the roster is the long-term answer beside him. I could see this being a Top Three need after the season for that reason.
    Randart likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Jake Matthews is replacing Joeckel on the left side this year; not sure which position he'll prefer in the pros but with his ability and potential, he will certainly be drafted like a LT.

If we can land Matthews, who is better than Joeckel in my opinion, and place him at RT, we will have an all-star line...especially when Barrett Jones eventually takes over either the LG or C position.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Jake Matthews is replacing Joeckel on the left side this year; not sure which position he'll prefer in the pros but with his ability and potential, he will certainly be drafted like a LT.

If we can land Matthews, who is better than Joeckel in my opinion, and place him at RT, we will have an all-star line...especially when Barrett Jones eventually takes over either the LG or C position.
    It's very early, but I'd count on needing a Top 10 pick to secure Matthews in next year's draft. Hope the Redskins bomb!

Right now, the only prediction I'd make with confidence about the Rams' draft picks is that they'll probably make a trade with one at least one of them (recent history certainly supports this conclusion).

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Right now, the only prediction I'd make with confidence about the Rams' draft picks is that they'll probably make a trade with one at least one of them (recent history certainly supports this conclusion).
    Most likely the case. Also, look for them to go offense then defense or defense then offense with first two picks. They won't take two from same side of the ball, imo.

WHAT SAY YE?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's very early, but I'd count on needing a Top 10 pick to secure Matthews in next year's draft. Hope the Redskins bomb!
    If Manziel (his personal adventures aside) can have a productive season, Matthews will definitely go Top 10. Here's to hoping the Redskins get blown out this season.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

How awesome would it be if the Deadskins choked badly and landed #1? We'd be able to trade out of #1 again and get a massive bundle for the second time. Especially considering how good this next draft is looking. Some great talents: Teddy Bridgewater, Jadeveon Clowney seem to be the race for the top pick at this point.

THE DREAM TEAM

Randart is online now Registered User

The LB/DE from UCLA is a beast guys Barr... heck of a player! Not sure he fits our scheme I think he would be great in a 3-4 scheme. But not sure yet... Also as an aside and I love your suggestions so far guys, we might need another QB at least as a viable back up. What if Johnny Football drops in the draft to bottom of 1st or top of second he would be a fun toy to have!

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    Also as an aside and I love your suggestions so far guys, we might need another QB at least as a viable back up. What if Johnny Football drops in the draft to bottom of 1st or top of second he would be a fun toy to have!
    citr92 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast