Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: My First 2014 Mock Draft

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

My First 2014 Mock Draft

1. Houston - Bridgewater -QB In the end, O'Brien gets his pick to lead his offense.
    2. Atlanta- Clowney -Rams trade with Snead's old pal again. Rams get Atlanta's 1 add 2 in 2014 AND 1st and 3rd in 2015.
    3. Jacksonvilole - Blake Bortles - Florida guy makes sense.
    4. Cleveland - Manziel - If McDaniels hired, he'll take a fiery QB like he likes. could also go Hundley if he comes out.
    5. Oakland - Hundley, or Manziel, whoever Cleveland passes on.
    6. Rams - Jake Matthews OT - Name guy they would t ake at #2, fills huge need, and connection with Fisher makes it easy.
    7. Tampa Bay - A. Barr De/LB Lovey gets his pass rusher
    8. Minnesota - Could deal up for a QB, and could surprise with McCarren if Carr isn't the next guy.
    9. Buffalo - Mack - DE/OLB - Local stud seems a great fiit, but could go OT as well.
    10. Detroit - Sammie Watkins WR - Great compliment to Megatron.
    11. Tennessee - Vic Beasley De - Almost seem sure to look DE, whoever rises by draft day, but a QB is always a possibility if one falls.
    12. NYG - CJ Mosely OLB By far BPA
    13. Rams - Mike Evans WR OR Darqueeze Dennard CB, or deal down.
    14. Chicago - G. Robinson OT
    15. Pittsburgh - Marquise Lee WR or OT Kouandjio
    16. Dallas- Probably a DL or OL
    17. Baltimore - WR Benjamin, Adams, Robinson
    18. NYJ - WR
    19. Miami - OT
    20. AZ - OL, TE
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Barry Waller

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: My First 2014 Mock Draft

Trading down and get a 2nd and future 1st and 3rd while grabbing Matthews and either Evans or Dennard?

Barry, I tip my hat to you, that would be amazing. I would personally choose Dennard, but either him or Evans would be good.

Call Snead and make it happen please!!!!

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Talk about best case scenario. We deal down for a fortune and still get the top OT in the draft? I'm not confident Matthews is there at 6, but I like the idea.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Like the deal down, but that seems a bit optimistic to me. Don't know if Atlanta will give up that much, but if they do, I'll send them a thank you card.

However, after the reading about the top prospects, I'm not sure Jake Mathews is the top OT.

Some seem to think he's destined for RT in the NFL because of his lack of athleticism, and his teammate (who's name slips my mind) is slated for LT in the NFL.

As far as I'm concerned, that changes everything as it relates to both prospects.

Secondly, If Kelvin Benjamin (assuming he declares) is there at 13, there is no other receiver I take over him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thanks for sharing, Barry!

Houston pick is pretty standard, Rams trading with the Falcons is great, Jacksonville taking a QB makes all the sense in the world, and I could easily see Cleveland with McDaniels taking Manziel.

I still think Hundley would benefit from another year of college ball, but I'm starting to think Hundley bolts given the talk of Mora going to Texas. If he does come out, he should be right up there with the other top QBs as you have him.

I'm a little confused about the Tampa pick of Anthony Barr. Yes, they need a pass rusher and he's the best one on the board. But does the Tampa scheme under Lovie Smith (and now Leslie Frasier as DC) allow for a Von Miller type role? Because that's how I think you'd have to use Barr in a 4-3; I don't see him as an every down 4-3 DE at the NFL level, and I wonder if the coaches of that scheme will be willing to toy with it enough to allow Barr to move around.

Detroit taking Sammy Watkins in the Top Ten after you said in another thread you weren't convinced he's even a Top 13 pick, interesting. Do you just like the fit, or is it something else?

I get that the Titans could be looking for DE help, but do you really think 6'2" 235 lbs Vic Beasley is that guy? He simply does not seem to have the size/bulk to project as a 4-3 DE, in my opinion.

You said in a separate topic just the other day that Cyrus Kouandjio would likely come off the board after Robinson and Lewan and you had him in the 20s. In this projection, you have him coming off the board @ 15 and don't mention Lewan. Any reason for this?

Baltimore going WR is a smart choice; their offense hasn't looked the same this year.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I like it and think it's doable for the Rams. The Falcons coach and FO are on the hot seat after last year. I have seen some having Clowney going to the Texans and the Rams to bolster already good fronts but the Falcon makes the most sense. As far as the compensation goes it seems high BUT don't most teams over pay when moving up to land the second player off the board? RG3 comes to mind.

Atlanta is no stranger to paying to get what they want.

The Atlanta Falcons selected Jones with the sixth overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. Atlanta had traded five draft picks to the Cleveland Browns to move up into their spot and take Jones, giving up their 27th, 59th, and 124th picks from the 2011 draft, and their first and fourth round picks from the 2012 draft.
    Anything is possible!

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Out Picks 3 through 5, only the raiders need a bookend LT. I see these teams trying to swing for the fences on a pick to stimulate their respective fanbases. If one of these 3 teams does pick a Mathews I could see it being the browns as their GM is a no nonsense, trenches kind of GM.

>>Detroit taking Sammy Watkins in the Top Ten after you said in another thread you weren't convinced he's even a Top 13 pick, interesting. Do you just like the fit, or is it something else? >.

Like the fit, and he fills a big need.

I see Matthews falling becaus I don't see ateam dealing way up for him with so many good OT there.

As I said, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Cleveland are pretty set at OT, and I don't see Oakland not going QB or Barr.

I would not deal down past #6, because Atlanta would be all over Matthews there.

They pass on him to get Clowney.

The cost I listed, by the way, was on the LOW side of the trade chart for that move. You subtract about 400 points or so for future picks. They always say a 2014 2 would be equal to a 2015 #1 in this chart system.

Atlanta has made huge moves before to get Julio Jones, and they moved up again last year with the Rams, from 30 to 22.

If Clowney is another Reggie White, who KNOWS what teams will pay to get him.

The only thing is, if the cost got too high, Houston would trade their pick, so it's a fine line, which is why I kept the cost on the low end of the chart. Don't see Snead trying to hold up his old team.

They could go Atlanta's 1,2, and 3 this year and the #1 in 2015 as well, but i don't see it being much less than that one I mentioned for Clowney.
    Barry Waller

"You said in a separate topic just the other day that Cyrus Kouandjio would likely come off the board after Robinson and Lewan and you had him in the 20s. In this projection, you have him coming off the board @ 15 and don't mention Lewan. Any reason for this?"

Yes, I see Pittsburgh going with a WR or DT, especially if Lee is there, BUT Kouandjio is a Steeler type OL.

Lewan really isn't in my opinion, as much a Steeler fit, and Kouanjio could move inside at first. Not Lewan.

As far as Tennessee and a DE, that was just a guess at who would be the top top De by then, could be one of the Mizzou guys, or Murphy. I'm sure they hope Mack falls.

By the time it gets to pick 15, it's all about who falls and who deals down, which will happen if a need guy isn't there for a team like Tennessee.
    Barry Waller

As far as the question on Barr, knowing Lovie Smith's defense, size is really not an issue to him at DE.

Tony Dungy used Mathis 6-2 235 and Freeney 6-1 268 with terrific results.

Barr is 6-4 250lb, and could easily gain some weight and strength as a pro. He looks far more a 4-3 guy to me than a 3-4 OLB, just like Quinn and Chris long did.

Robert Quinn was 6-4, 255lb out of college. Now he is 264 Nuf Said.
    Barry Waller

In chicago, Lovie had Mark Anderson 6-4, 255lb and Adewale Ogunleye DE 6-4 260 starting at DE.

Leonard Little, his stud here was 6-3 267lb

Wistrom was just 6-4 255 out of Nebraska. Also a guy some thought was a 3-4 OLB guy.
    Barry Waller

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Love the mock and the trade w/Atlanta would be super. I'd prefer Denard over Evans for us as Evans is a "kid" and Denard is a thumper who can also cover at CB which would be good given the WR's in our division. Too early to quibble about the picks as the Combine has yet to happen and the underclassmen have all yet to declare.

Go Rams!

Rambos is offline Registered User

The cost I listed, by the way, was on the LOW side of the trade chart for that move. You subtract about 400 points or so for future picks. They always say a 2014 2 would be equal to a 2015 #1 in this chart system.
    Just because the chart has a value does not mean that what the market will bear. Look at last year deal where the Raiders did not get full trade chart value. Miami sent the 12th and 42nd picks to Oakland for the 3rd pick. Per the chart that's 520 points short.

I get the numbers are close the way you laid it out but that seems high to me. If I had to give up the points on the chart to make that happen, I would send the Rams my 1,2,3,4 this year. To devalue future picks seems nuts. When you look at the 2600 points we are talking about came from the future. This 2nd pick valued at 2600 points today was valued at 260 points when the trade was made. Heck if that is how GMs see that trade then the Rams killed on that trade.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

At first I thought man this would be too hard to pass up. I'm looking at it as a Clowney fan. I think he's the best prospect coming out. Then I looked at it from Atlanta's view. They are in worse shape then us on the O-Line. If they made this trade they might select Matthews....But then the consolation prize could be Barr.... Man Im rambling.... lol This is good...