throwback week

onslaught11 Guest

My first attempt at the 2009 nfl draft

My speculation for the RAMS in FA.

1. I think the new HC will be installing a 3-4 defense and I think whatever defensive draft picks would be toward the 3-4 defense.

2. With the Spoon moving to the OLB position, that leaves Pisa out and he does not fit the 3-4. I think he will be traded for a 4th. That is probably the most we will get for him.

3. We resign Bartell and OJ.

4. We will not sign some big FA that want alot of money like Jordan Gross or Matt Birk. The Rams will not get in a bidding war with anyone. I think the most significant FA we will sign will be Channing Crowder MLB Miami.

Now for the draft:

1. Jason Smith OT Baylor - I consider Andre Smith but he has trouble against speed rusher and might be better for OG or RT. Oher is someone I might consider but I heard he looks good one play and sloppy the next. I question if he has the mentality to learn the NFL. There is a steep learning curve between college football and the pro. Monroe is someone I consider and he might be the choice but I believe this is the first healthy season in a while; might be a lingering injury.
    I went with J. Smith because about the only concern is weight and light on run blocking. A LT is pass blocking first then run. He can gain weight and I think he will shoot up the board.

2. Alex Mack OC Cal - He is the best C in the draft. Better than Unger. He would be a steal here.

3. Ron Brace NT BC - He is a huge guy who will take up 2 blocker. With him and Crowder in the middle, no RB is going anywhere in the middle.

4. Nic Harris SS OK - He is lb/ss tweener. I think he has enough speed to cover TE and big enough for run support.

4. (From Pisa) Worrell Williams ILB Cal - Value pick here. He is good when I see him play.

5. Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State - He is going to challenge Berlin for 3rd QB. He is a streaky guy; when he is on a roll; he is good; when not; it could be ugly. He is smart and should be a good game manager.

6. Jarrett Dillard WR Rice - Small guy but very productive. A very poor man's Desean Jackson. I think he could have an impact like Davon Bess has for Miami.

7. Brannon Southerland FB Georgia - Best pure blocking FB in the draft. I miss the "Hedge".

My philosophy is build thru draft and pick up young and cheap FA who has potential. The trenches is what win the games.

My 3-4 defense for next year:

DE - Ryan & Carriker
    NT - Ron Brace
    ILB - Crowder & Worrel Williams/Culberson
    OLB - Spoon and Long
    SS - Harris
    FS - OJ
    CB - Bartell & King/Wade/Hill/Craft (whoever wins this spot.)

Hybrid this and bring in Little and Adenyaju for sub in 4-3.
    Last edited by onslaught11; -01-09-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: My first attempt at the 2009 nfl draft

There is definitely some interesting stuff in here. I'm not sure how well Ryan would fit in at DE. Adeyanju would probably be a better fit there IMO.

I like the draft given the assumptions you made about the rest of the off-season. Not sold on Jason Smith as the best LT in the draft, but a lot can change between now and April.

onslaught11 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    There is definitely some interesting stuff in here. I'm not sure how well Ryan would fit in at DE. Adeyanju would probably be a better fit there IMO.

I like the draft given the assumptions you made about the rest of the off-season. Not sold on Jason Smith as the best LT in the draft, but a lot can change between now and April.

I can see Clifton Ryan as a 3-4 DE. He has the size for it and I believe he played DE at Mich State.

keith m. klink Guest

how can you change the defense from 4-3 to a 3-4 when we don't even have a coach , let alone,your plugging in FA's that have not even left there teams yet , trading Pisa for a 4th after signing him to a large contract , same as LITTLE . I didn't know that we start with having CULBERSON go to the middle behind a 4th rd rookie that we received from the TINO trade.

And the tweener ss/lb HARRIS , we got a few of those last year, and CHAMBERLIN is said to be making great strides and the coaches love him . lb/ss .