Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60
  1. #16
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    You know, it's funny. I was this close to putting one of these out on Saturday and then decided to wait until we got closer to Thanksgiving. Glad to see I did, because now we get to talk about yours instead!

    Round 1: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    Love it. Everything I'm reading is that his new strength coach and offensive line coach have really helped to polish him this year, meaning he made a wise decision to stay in school for his senior season. He and Smith, should Smith declare, really look to be the two guys we should have our eye on if we're looking OT at the top of round one. It sounds as if Eugene Monroe has slipped a little bit. Of course, all that can change.

    Round 2: Herman Johnson, OG, LSU
    Nice pick. Still a bit raw in terms of playing time but you've gotta love a massive guy like Johnson who also shows some good athleticism. This is a pick Steven Jackson would love, as you're giving him a guy up front who can really just knock the defensive lineman right out of their spot. A center might also be a good choice here or in the next round. I'd be amazing if we could get Alex Mack to slip to us here, but that doesn't look likely.

    Round 3: Scott McKillop, MLB, Pittsburgh
    Solid, solid pick. Even as a Big East rival, I can appreciate McKillop's tenacity. I think a lot regarding his stock is going to depend on his workouts. Right now he probably could go in the third or maybe even mid to late second round, but if he shows up at workouts and runs in the 4.8's and has some issues in agility drills, he may slip a bit. Looks to me like one of those guys who is a player and not an athlete, if that makes sense. Maybe I'm selling him a bit short. As with the second round, I'd think about looking center here if we haven't already. Two guys I like that may slip into the third are Jonathan Luigs and Antoine Caldwell.

    Round 4: Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
    Very intriguing selection, and this is a name that draft followers could become more familiar with as the offseason progresses. Brandstater is a guy who was a late move to quarterback - I don't believe he played it in high school - so he still has a lot to learn about the position. But he has a lot of things to like. Great size for the position, he has some mobility if need be, and I think he has a good arm. With strong offseason workouts, he could emerge as the top senior quarterback in this class.

    Round 5: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    Solid pick in the middle rounds. If his size turns out to be accurate, he could really help take on some blocks on defense. All-ACC honorable mention last year, I believe. Shows good ability to get into the backfield with 7.5 tackles for loss in 2007. I like the other DT out of Boston College as well, BJ Raji. He'll probably be going earlier though.

    Round 6: Antone Smith, RB, FSU
    He's had some problems staying healthy but seems to be getting the job done this season for Florida State. He's been one of the ACC's leaders in terms of getting points on the board. I like what we have right now in Pittman as a back-up to Jackson, but it couldn't hurt to look at more help in the backfield. What are your thoughts about looking at a late-round receiver as well?

    Round 7: Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida
    Not sure if he lasts until the seventh but he looks like a solid DB. May not have the speed to stay with pro receivers but he's made a number of interceptions and brings some special teams ability with him.


    Overall, job well done, Av!!


  2. #17
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,479
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Thanks, Nick!

    I think a WR late would be a decent idea, particularly if its a guy who can return kicks/punts as well.

    A SS would also be a consideration on Day 2.

    I'm sure I'll revise this many times, given how long it is until the draft. The one thing I doubt I'll change is the preference for taking an OT first and an interior lineman with the second or third pick.

  3. #18
    eric2810's Avatar
    eric2810 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    517
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    I'm curoious guys, but is their OT/OG depth coming this year? For example, is their any solid offensive lineman that we can find in the 2nd or 3rd round, one that can possibly start? I say this because last two years with the first pick we drafted Defensive Line, which were safe picks. I was wondering if the Rams go with the sexy pick in the first round ( Maulauga, Malcolm Jenkins etc.), and then draft lineman in the 2nd and third round. What do you guys think? As badly as we need a better offensive line, I do not want to see this same defense next year.

  4. #19
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    That's pretty well spot on. I Love the idea of McKillop as a prospect. He's all over the field.

    Only notable is the lack of a Strong Safety, and I'm assuming we'll be able to find one in free agency. Atari Bigby, please.

  5. #20
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    I'm curoious guys, but is their OT/OG depth coming this year? For example, is their any solid offensive lineman that we can find in the 2nd or 3rd round, one that can possibly start? I say this because last two years with the first pick we drafted Defensive Line, which were safe picks. I was wondering if the Rams go with the sexy pick in the first round ( Maulauga, Malcolm Jenkins etc.), and then draft lineman in the 2nd and third round. What do you guys think? As badly as we need a better offensive line, I do not want to see this same defense next year.
    It's one of those awkward situations where we have huge needs on both sides of the ball. It's going to be at least two or three offseason's worth of a rebuilding process. I love the idea of Maulauga as a prospect. Maybe even my preferred pick at this point.

    But god, it's hard to steer away from the OL. With so much money tied up in skill position players, not to mention the quarterback, I'd advocate improving the OL immediately above anything else-- so that we actually get our money's worth from everybody else. Another thing to consider is that if we actually put up points, the Defense won't have to concentrate primarily on stopping the run ALL DAY.

    What I believe is that the problem with the defense doesn't lie in the front four, but the linebacking corps. Nobody doubts Witherspoon's ability. But he's been getting manhandled as a middle linebacker. Tinoisamoa had a great game against the Cowboys, but that's about all he's done well in three seasons. God only knows who else is starting. But the point is that they're not hitting the gaps where the runner comes through, despite the fact that the DL is doing a fairly good job holding up at the point of scrimmage.

    To me, the secondary is something that can be placed on the backburner, at least for this offseason. Excluding, of course, the Strong Safety position. I'd like to see that filled in free agency, unless, by some stroke of luck, a Taylor Mays or the like falls to us in later rounds. Brown seems to be the best tackler on the team, Bartell has improved in leaps and bounds, and Atogwe simply must be re-signed. That's three of four starters that we really don't have to concern ourselves with immediately.

  6. #21
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    I'm not in love with the current secondary Bartell is solid, but what do we have after that Wade and King are raw wade being the more raw one. Brown and Craft both free agent aged vets who have definately lost a step. Tye Hill and manning Jr. both guys who show flashes once in a while and have been injury prone. Chavous is another guy who has lost a step. OJ is probably the best player in the secondary and creates a whole lot of turnovers forcing fumbles and picking off the ball.

    With that said I'm not extremely confident in lining those guys up against likes of Warner and Crew twice a year.

  7. #22
    eric2810's Avatar
    eric2810 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    517
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    It's one of those awkward situations where we have huge needs on both sides of the ball. It's going to be at least two or three offseason's worth of a rebuilding process. I love the idea of Maulauga as a prospect. Maybe even my preferred pick at this point.

    But god, it's hard to steer away from the OL. With so much money tied up in skill position players, not to mention the quarterback, I'd advocate improving the OL immediately above anything else-- so that we actually get our money's worth from everybody else. Another thing to consider is that if we actually put up points, the Defense won't have to concentrate primarily on stopping the run ALL DAY.

    What I believe is that the problem with the defense doesn't lie in the front four, but the linebacking corps. Nobody doubts Witherspoon's ability. But he's been getting manhandled as a middle linebacker. Tinoisamoa had a great game against the Cowboys, but that's about all he's done well in three seasons. God only knows who else is starting. But the point is that they're not hitting the gaps where the runner comes through, despite the fact that the DL is doing a fairly good job holding up at the point of scrimmage.

    To me, the secondary is something that can be placed on the backburner, at least for this offseason. Excluding, of course, the Strong Safety position. I'd like to see that filled in free agency, unless, by some stroke of luck, a Taylor Mays or the like falls to us in later rounds. Brown seems to be the best tackler on the team, Bartell has improved in leaps and bounds, and Atogwe simply must be re-signed. That's three of four starters that we really don't have to concern ourselves with immediately
    .
    Good point Bar-bq. As you said, we wont get consistant production out of our skilled players on offense unless we have a strong offensive line. Surely, this is why the Giants are so successful.

    Also, For Me, This upcoming draft all I ask for is for is the first round pick to live up to expectations for his given position, such as how Chris Long is doing thus far. Next, It would help greatly if we get a late round steal.

  8. #23
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    I'm curoious guys, but is their OT/OG depth coming this year? For example, is their any solid offensive lineman that we can find in the 2nd or 3rd round, one that can possibly start? I say this because last two years with the first pick we drafted Defensive Line, which were safe picks. I was wondering if the Rams go with the sexy pick in the first round ( Maulauga, Malcolm Jenkins etc.), and then draft lineman in the 2nd and third round. What do you guys think? As badly as we need a better offensive line, I do not want to see this same defense next year.

    Herman Johnson (G) is a great guard in my opinion, and he should also plug blitzes with his size. (6'7, 349lbs.) He should be available when we have our second round pick.

    Trevor Canfield (G) and Anthony Parker (G) are also talented guards that are going to go during the 3-4th round.
    ______________________________________________________________
    Jason Smith and Eben Britton are two talented tackles that will be in the second round.

    And as someone else mentioned, Johnathan Luigs and Antoine Caldwell (C) should be going at the 2-3 round, and they're very talented and should give us solidity at the o-line.

    If we decide to go with the 2-4 rounder o-linemen, then lets get
    MAUALAUGA!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #24
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Out of curiosity, what is the rationale for taking a guard in the 2nd round? It seems that with Bell and Incognito there, and Greco looking like he's going to be plugged in at guard as well, that we should try to fill some other holes on the line first. Admittedly, neither Bell nor Incognito is a world-beater by any stretch, but it also doesn't seem like they're the weak part of our OL, much less of our team.

  10. #25
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the rationale for taking a guard in the 2nd round? It seems that with Bell and Incognito there, and Greco looking like he's going to be plugged in at guard as well, that we should try to fill some other holes on the line first. Admittedly, neither Bell nor Incognito is a world-beater by any stretch, but it also doesn't seem like they're the weak part of our OL, much less of our team.
    I, too, am curious toward the status of Bell, and perhaps more importantly, Greco.

    What is he going to do? Where will he play? Is he Alex Barron's heir apparent?

    If so, that opens up one spot on the interior. But will 5th rounder Roy Scheuning get a shot there? Is Incognito the answer? He seems like the best lineman on the team at this point in time.

    I'd say the rationale is more toward taking a Center than it is toward taking a guard. Leckey is horrible, Romberg is ambivalent, Cogs couldn't hold down the spot, and Setterstrom is injured. All of that points toward the necessity for a prospect like Antoine Caldwell, or (Kool-Aid time!) Alex Mack in the early second.

  11. #26
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    The fine folks over at NFL Draft Countdown have us taking Malcolm Jenkins with our first round pick. Myself, the homer, absolutely loves the pick. Myself the Rams fan, however thinks we have more pressing needs on the front lines.

    Just thought I would mention this here, while we're all on the subject.

  12. #27
    eric2810's Avatar
    eric2810 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    517
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    If Alex Mack is available with our second pick I say we draft him without hesitation. He'll bring stability to our interior line.

  13. #28
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,524
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Too soon?

    Round 1: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    Round 2: Herman Johnson, OG, LSU
    Round 3: Scott McKillop, MLB, Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
    Round 5: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    Round 6: Antone Smith, RB, FSU
    Round 7: Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida
    AV, let me just say that you get a standing ovation for this, but if Andre Smith declares then I believe it's a toss up for which tackle is #1
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    To answer your question: In a word, NO!! I like the Oher pick but if Andre Smith, the OT from Alabama declares (and I fully expect him to), I would seriously consider him to be about equal to Oher and maybe even a better choice.

    At any rate, whoever we pick I just want to hear the word "franchise" somewhere in his name.

    WHAT SAY YE?
    Smith is a beast, but we still have to see if he comes out, either way both tackes are solid and ready to start RIGHT NOW which is what we need.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Nice cut there Av. We definitely must upgrade the MLB position. However, I think where Av has it filled is just fine. We don't need a worldbeater at MLB. We just need a bigger run stuffer in there, somebody who can shed a few tackles and play at the line. Moving Witherspoon to the outside spot, coupled with the aforementioned type of player in the middle, will do wonders for this defense ....

    In conclusions, we don't need a pro bowler in the middle, we just need a hard hitter who can make an impact at the point of attack ...
    Ah, now this is the Ininiti that I've grown to love, good to see you back fam.

  14. #29
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    AV, let me just say that you get a standing ovation for this, but if Andre Smith declares then I believe it's a toss up for which tackle is #1
    In which case, it becomes a battle as to who is more "NFL Ready", as opposed to the cliche'd workout (*cough*Godlike*cough*) warrior debacle, whereby picks are seemingly made according to "who has the best .40 time". My money is with the more experienced senior prospect, at this point in time.

  15. #30
    Rammed's Avatar
    Rammed is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

    Like your mock AV, makes me feel good thinking about the future for a change instead of this torture from weekend to weekend.
    Just nor sure on OG in the 2nd round.
    Why go for a guard early in the 2nd round? I agree with some of the posters about looking at center there.

    But my question is this high in the 2nd round why not go tackle again.
    Most of the second tier college tackle prospects translate to very good NFL guards. Why not take a chance on filling 2 gaps at once.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Trivia - Share What You Know
    By AlphaRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: -11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
  2. Gordo Live, Feb. 11
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -02-12-2008, 02:15 AM
  3. Postgame With Gordo: November 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
  4. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
  5. PaRamFan48 Chistmas '99
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -03-18-2006, 11:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •