Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    If Alex Mack is available with our second pick I say we draft him without hesitation. He'll bring stability to our interior line.
    Centre is definitely a pressing need, more so than guard.

We have Bell, Schuening, Greco, Cogs and Setterstrom to potentially fill the guard positions next year but we've no-one realistically at centre. With the 2009 draft being deep in this position, we should be able to draft a good centre in the second or even third round. It's just a question of deciding if we need a good centre or linebacker more.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Center will have to be addressed, no doubt. I think Incognito is a possibility, and there is also free agency (i.e. Matt Burk). As for loading up on guards, I don't think that is a bad thing. Nobody on the O line is playing so well that his job should be safe. I'd rather get in some top notch talent and let the chips fall. Don't forget, if Pace is done, we'll need two tackles. How about an O line of:

LT: Oher
    LG: Bell
    C: Birk
    RG: Johnson
    RT: Greco

That could work. In any event, this is a first draft. If there is likely to be good talent at center in the 2-3 round, perhaps that would be a better way to go. At this point, though, I like the idea of a 350 lb. mauler at OG.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    In which case, it becomes a battle as to who is more "NFL Ready", as opposed to the cliche'd workout (*cough*Godlike*cough*) warrior debacle, whereby picks are seemingly made according to "who has the best .40 time". My money is with the more experienced senior prospect, at this point in time.
    If we were to take this stance then it would be Michael Oher
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Like your mock AV, makes me feel good thinking about the future for a change instead of this torture from weekend to weekend.
    Just nor sure on OG in the 2nd round.
    Why go for a guard early in the 2nd round? I agree with some of the posters about looking at center there.

But my question is this high in the 2nd round why not go tackle again.
    Most of the second tier college tackle prospects translate to very good NFL guards. Why not take a chance on filling 2 gaps at once.
    OG, not yet, we still have to see what our 2 rookies do from this year, and Stets is coming back from injury so we'll have too many OG already.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Center will have to be addressed, no doubt. I think Incognito is a possibility, and there is also free agency (i.e. Matt Burk). As for loading up on guards, I don't think that is a bad thing. Nobody on the O line is playing so well that his job should be safe. I'd rather get in some top notch talent and let the chips fall. Don't forget, if Pace is done, we'll need two tackles. How about an O line of:

That could work. In any event, this is a first draft. If there is likely to be good talent at center in the 2-3 round, perhaps that would be a better way to go. At this point, though, I like the idea of a 350 lb. mauler at OG.
    Matt Birk is my dream, but we all know this is a pipe dream. He'll get offered $$$ from a contender, and may prefer a contender since he is nearing the end of his career.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Great mock AV. I think going with a LT in the 1st round is definately the best route to go down. Oher would be fantastic. If Smith declares then he would be a great choice too. I'm not so sure if we'd need to go with an OG in the 2nd though. I think we need to see what our two Guard prospects from last year's draft (Greco and Scheuning) can do first before we look after another. We have a lot of depth there too. If you ask me, we should give both Guard spots at least another season. A MLB, SS or C could be a better choice in the 2nd.

Another main point is to bring in a starting Center in one way or another. We should go after one IMO in FA. Someone like Matt Birk would obviously be out of this world, but I doubt we'd be an attractive team to him, especially with contenders out there. I'd be all for drafting one anywhere between round 2-4 if there's a good enough prospect. All I know, is we can't have Leckey starting for us next year. It's pretty obvious he's next to useless.

Just one thing that also crossed my mind: If we're going to take an elite prospect at LT like Oher or possibly Smith, what would that mean for Orlando Pace? (presuming he won't retire and would be healthy enough to still play). There's always the possiblity of playing whoever we draft at RT or even at LG until Pace retires but neither situation is ideal IMO. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Great mock Av! The O-line you said of Oher, Bell, Birk, Johnson, Greco just has such an awesome sound to it! I would love to see that! However, I read earlier that some want us to grab Bigby for SS and you just posted Birk at center. Both will be big money FA's, and I was wondering if you could grab just one, which would you prefer?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Is the kid from Fresno st. going to be the QB we build around? If not , we draft a QB no later than round 2 . Sorry fellas but Bulger won' be around when this team is back up to speed! And I'm sure we can get a better QB then the FS qb.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Just one thing that also crossed my mind: If we're going to take an elite prospect at LT like Oher or possibly Smith, what would that mean for Orlando Pace? (presuming he won't retire and would be healthy enough to still play). There's always the possiblity of playing whoever we draft at RT or even at LG until Pace retires but neither situation is ideal IMO. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I'd be very surprised to see Pace back on the team next year. This could be the 3rd season in a row he ends the season on IR and he just doesn't look like the Pace of old. His salary is too high for somebody who's not reliably healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Is the kid from Fresno st. going to be the QB we build around? If not , we draft a QB no later than round 2 . Sorry fellas but Bulger won' be around when this team is back up to speed! And I'm sure we can get a better QB then the FS qb.
    I just don't see a Peyton Manning in this draft. There are a couple of guys who probably will go in the first, but none of them are real Blue Chip prospects. I think Brandstater has a lot of good qualities, and could be a guy worth trying to develop.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

This is a possibility somewhat, but the problem is that Greco is, at this point in time, almost exclusively a guard. From what I've been able to read and gather he just doesn't have the speed or footwork to play Tackle in the NFL- even though he did in college. And we should remember what happened in the past when we tried to make Tackles out of guards like John St. Clair and Rex Tucker. Please....I couldn't take watching that horror show again.

Therefore since all indications are that Greco will remain at OG, do we really want to draft another one as a very high 2nd round pick?

WHAT SAY YE?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is crazytalk, but I'm loving what Graham Harrell is doing with Texas Tech. Something like 36 TD's to 5 INT's this season, Texas Tech coming off a four game stretch against top 25 seeded teams. Brandstater had better NFL measurables, but if you're looking for a real "clutch" QB in the third or fourth, it is my opinion that Harrell may be the man.

Obviously, some will note that his size is a real concern (I believe he stands at 6'2), but nonetheless, he's having a great collegiate season against some of the best teams in the nation. It will be interesting to see how he holds up against #5 Oklahoma this weekend- I believe Texas Tech has never beaten both Texas and the Sooners in the same season.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

For Johnson being being so massive, can he move on his feet well? Watching the second biggest offensive line in football on Monday, the Bills, they could not protect Edwards, And much of the pass rush was inside. My point is, even though he's Big Guard, can he move on his feet well? Oh and I noticed no Barron in that Lineup. The Alex Barron experiment should be over next year?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Pace might be done he is had a barrage of injuries the rams aren't ready to win. He saw his other future Pro bowl buddy Ogden leave last year I think he might do the same thing.

Thats why I think the Rams will do this Jordan Gross Carolina will not be able to hang on to him because they will sign gamble or Peppers to a big deal and whoever they don't sign will be franchised. The Rams should throw boatloads of money at him and even overpay for a franchise left tackle. The rams then could address defense with the first pick and RT with the second.

LT- Gross
    LG- Bell
    C- Vet to keep thing together (Brad Meester?)
    RG-Grecco
    RT- Rookie (Fenuki Tupou or Phil Loadholt)

I say you go that route regardless of Pace retiring because this will be the cleanest shot we will get at a Franchise LT and Pace won't be around or consitantly healthy much longer.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Thats why I think the Rams will do this Jordan Gross Carolina will not be able to hang on to him because they will sign gamble or Peppers to a big deal and whoever they don't sign will be franchised. The Rams should throw boatloads of money at him and even overpay for a franchise left tackle. The rams then could address defense with the first pick and RT with the second..
    I forgot completely about Gross. The Panthers already threw a boatload of money at Travelle Wharton (and another O-Lineman, I believe- are you sure Gross isn't locked up instead of franchised?) last offseason and they'll struggle to keep Gross due to the factors you mentioned already. That would be such a good route to pursue. That may even free us up to trade down a little to grab Laurinitis or Maualuga, assuming somebody wants an Oher, Jenkins, Crabtree (etc, this class is loaded at the top). With the extra picks, we could even look to get back into the first to steal Alex Mack.

Yet...

I think my keyboard is waterlogged, and my Madden franchise is getting jealous.

There have been many comments about drafting an OG early. My feeling is that, right now, nobody has a stranglehold on any interior line position. Bell, despite his contract, can't be guaranteed a starting job if he does not perform. I read elsewhere (from Randy Karraker) that Bell has inexplicably dropped to about 280 lbs. this year. That is way too small, particularly for a team that does not employ a zone blocking scheme.

If the Rams had Thomson, Incognito, Bell, Greco and Scheuning fighting for two spots (with Incognito potentially in the running for the center job), that would not be a bad thing.

Falconator Guest

I agree that if none of the QBs strike your fancy that offensive line would be the way to go. Michael Oher may have the most talent of the three (Oher, Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe) but I would take Andre Smith because I think he is dominant and has the least downside - I know Oher is a "nice story" from what he overcame but I would be somewhat concerned - supposedly has some kind of learning disability as well.

Also, while I know you guys are suffering on the offensive line, I would not think in good conscience you could not at least give the 2nd round pick to the defense - I mean - my goodness - your offense is worse than your defense.......40 points to the Jets in the 1st half? that cannot be ignored.....

1st - Andre Smith, OT-Alabama
    2nd - Brandon Spikes, MLB-Florida
    3rd - Dominque Johnson, CB-Jackson State

I think that would do you more good than hitting the offensive line twice early. Falcons turned their offensive line around with one new addition - Sam Baker - and a good O-Line coach(Boudreau - thanks again for firing him Rams )

Your defense needs an upgrade - a stout, playmaking MLB and a corner that can cover would make the defense a lot better = don't 'cha think?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast