Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: My First Attempt At A 2009 Rams Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Your defense needs an upgrade - a stout, playmaking MLB and a corner that can cover would make the defense a lot better = don't 'cha think?
    Nope. The Rams need more than just one addition to the O line. If the O line is fixed, the defense won't be on the field as much (or put in horrible field position by turnovers and 3 and outs).

As my mock indicates, there are some defensive needs as well which need to be addressed.

The O line is the biggest concern, by far.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Nope. The Rams need more than just one addition to the O line. If the O line is fixed, the defense won't be on the field as much (or put in horrible field position by turnovers and 3 and outs).

As my mock indicates, there are some defensive needs as well which need to be addressed.

The O line is the biggest concern, by far.
    Do these numbers mean anything to you, Avenger? 38, 41, 37, 31, 17, 14, 23, 34, 47, 35......

those are the scores of your opponents in the ten games played....out of those ten games, your defense held the opponents down low enough to win in only three of those games.......

while I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the Rams and I am sure you watch a lot more Rams games than I do - but NFL offenses have a hard time scoring more than 30+ in a game because the clock runs out on the 60 minutes - so, its almost like the opponents are playing against "air" - like the defense is not even there.........

By all means draft an offensive tackle in the 1st round, but you better fix that defense, too........you might be in denial on the "D"

I'm not saying the defense is fine as is, but there is no question that the O line is the first priority. The defense has had to play too many minutes with too many short fields to defend, and rarely has had the benefit of playing with a lead. The numbers you mention are skewed. The defense not good, but its not as bad as those numbers would suggest.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Falconator,

I'm with Av on this one. If you're claiming that our defense is a problem, you'll get no argument from any of us here.

But our offense seems to be as big of a problem. And one of the primary differences is that our offense could probably be decent with a few key additions. SJax, Bulger, Avery, and our other playmakers on offense will all see better results if we bulk up our OLine. If you plug in a tackle and a center to solidify our line, you might magically see Jackson a bit healthier, Bulger a bit more confident, and Avery catching some more of those deep bombs.

I think what it comes down to is that we're going to see better returns on offense than defense because we have the talent on offense that is just being underutilized right now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Do these numbers mean anything to you, Avenger? 38, 41, 37, 31, 17, 14, 23, 34, 47, 35......
    And three of those TDs were given up by the offense as well. Yet another sad stat in this sad sack of a year.........with our offense on the field we have scored 12 TDs and given up 3. An offense should do better than scoring 4:1 against the opposing defense, to say the least.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The fact that this is supposed to be an offensive team and the points we are putting up is just said. The O-line takes alot of the blame. If the o-line gets on track I think the whole team can get on track.

Post 1,000 wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Falconator Guest

"the board has spoken".....

I don't get to watch the Rams games - I watch the Falcons games and I am sure you guys are die-hards - so I will defer to your comments which seem to be overwhelming.

I still think you guys should go offensive line with your top ten pick and something else in 2nd round - but maybe your right. Its rare that you throw two rookies on an o-line in the same year but I'm sure its happened before. Don't you think it might be wise to maybe draft an offensive tackle and then go after a tackle or guard in free agency.......Obviously you have a lot of holes - so you would want to fill a few of them in free agency.

Free agent signings may alter a lot of this. Unfortunately, top FA O linemen are typically paid a premium price. Better to develop through the draft.

Round 1: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    Round 2: Herman Johnson, OG, LSU
    With AV's mock in mind, I couldn't help but watch the Ole Miss / LSU match up this weekend. And I must say, Oher and Johnson are two VERY different animals.

Oher looks extremely athletic; quick, agile, quiet feet, can get wide and into the 2nd level. A big powerful lineman that moves like a much smaller man. Very impressive LT prospect. However, as a question mark, I would like to see him against bigger bull rushers. Reminds me of Chris Williams.

Johnson on the other hand, seems like a grizzley bear in pads. The size of a boulder, but just as agile. He will clear a path in front of him, but I have to question his athleticism. Can he pull? Will he be able to get into the 2nd level? Reminds me of an OG version of Jeff Otah.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    "the board has spoken".....

I don't get to watch the Rams games - I watch the Falcons games and I am sure you guys are die-hards - so I will defer to your comments which seem to be overwhelming.

I still think you guys should go offensive line with your top ten pick and something else in 2nd round - but maybe your right. Its rare that you throw two rookies on an o-line in the same year but I'm sure its happened before. Don't you think it might be wise to maybe draft an offensive tackle and then go after a tackle or guard in free agency.......Obviously you have a lot of holes - so you would want to fill a few of them in free agency.
    D'Brickashaw and Mangold with the Jets a couple of years back, but they were both first round picks.

I agree with you though. Especially since we picked two offensive lineman last year who have yet to be worked into the lineup. Rather than essentially giving up on those players before they even get a chance, I think we need to pick up someone for the defense with our second pick.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Av, great thread. I'm a bit late to seeing your original post, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone in wanting McKillop for the Rams. Pitt defensive players usually do well in the NFL, courtesy of Dave Wannstedt, who knows how to prepare them. I'm seeing Derelle Revis whom we passed on in 2007 and thinking perhaps we should have taken him. History. I'm not upset with Carricker, he was a solid pick at the time.

I also like Brandstater at QB. He has the arm and size but is a few years away from starting, which is OK given our contractual commitment to Bulger. My fear is another Fresno State QB who fizzled, David Carr.

I don't know much about Herman Johnson at OG from LSU, but I've seen him ranked highly. What do you think about Max Unger from Oregon who can play Center and Guard? We may have to take more than one OT. I think we are so thin at that spot; a stud like Smith, Oher or Monroe or even Jason Smith from Baylor who's getting good ratings. is essential in round #1, but a later rounds guy may be necessary too.

Lastly, any thoughts on Nic Harris, Safety from Oklahoma? I think he's a SS, replacement for Chavous.

Can't believe we're back into this draft discussion so early before the season ends!

Go Rams (or perhaps not to improve our draft position)!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Only notable is the lack of a Strong Safety, and I'm assuming we'll be able to find one in free agency. Atari Bigby, please.[/quote]

I'm thinking Nic Harris in the 5-6 rounds. What say ye?

DRams is offline Registered User

I think the MLB is the way to go and build around him look at the dominant defenses out there with the focus on MLB like Chicago ( URLACKER) ( Ray Ray ) in Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by DRams View Post
    I think the MLB is the way to go and build around him look at the dominant defenses out there with the focus on MLB like Chicago ( URLACKER) ( Ray Ray ) in Baltimore.
    While I'm not opposed to the idea of a MLB, we shouldn't fall into the mindset that a great D is centered around the MLB. It's easy to think this way as defenses are quite literally centered around the MLB, but the top defenses in the league are the Steelers and Titans. Without looking it up, can the MLBs for the Steelers and Titans be identified? The answers are Farrior, Foote, and Tulloch.

Again, I'm not opposed to the notion, but the more talent a defense can put on the field, regardless of position, the better off they will be.

That's why I'm hoping in free agency and the draft, the idea of "BPA" outweighs the cherry-picking of a particular pre-ordained position.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Great job ! I would perfer Alex Mack Center @ Cal. in the 2nd round. With 3 possible franchise tackles coming out this year Monroe,Oher,& Andre Smith why not trade down a few picks and still get the Stud OT .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234