Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: "My gut tells me that..." (What do you see when you read between the lines.)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

"My gut tells me that..." (What do you see when you read between the lines.)

We are now firmly in the silly season. In the next two weeks, we'll read many "reports" about players rising and falling, teams' supposed preferences, trade rumors and the like.

At this point, all we can do is read between the lines and go with our gut feelings.

Here are a few that I have:

My gut tells me that:
    • The Rams are unlikely to take an offensive lineman in the first round, unless they trade back past the 15th pick.
    • Michael Floyd will continue to rise, but won't pass Justin Blackmon.
    • The Browns will NOT take Ryan Tannehill, but might trade back.
    • If the Browns don't trade down, they'll take Trent Richardson.
    • The Rams are willing to wait until Rounds 3 and 4 to address the LB and DT spots.
    • If the Rams don't take a WR in Round 1, and Reuben Randle is there at #33, the Rams will sprint to the podium to take him.
    • If a trade is going to be made that involves Tannehill, it will be Miami trading up to Minnesota's No. 3 spot.
    • If not, (and Tannehill is still there) the Rams' could field trade offers from Miami and Kansas City for the No. 6 pick, and could find it too tempting to pass up.
    • If the Rams don't take Trent Richardson, there is a very good chance they will take a RB in Round 3 or 4.
    I have no sources to cite. These are just my gut feelings.

Anyone want to add to this list?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: "My gut tells me that..." (What do you see when you read between the lines.)

The Rams are willing to wait until Rounds 3 and 4 to address the LB and DT spots.
    This is the one and only disagreement I have with your gut. My gut tells me the #33 pick is a DT.

Still, Thompson, Reyes (I know you're not a fan), or Worthy.......I think one of them is a Ram.
    Rambos likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: "My gut tells me that..." (What do you see when you read between the lines.)

If the Rams don't take a WR in Round 1, and Reuben Randle is there at #33, the Rams will sprint to the podium to take him.
    I agree that the Rams are high on Randle, but my gut tells me if Randle is there at #39 after taking Blackmon we take him.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

My gut tells me that if we take Blackmon at #6 we will take a RB at #33. We had one of the worst offenses in the history of the NFL last season. It's time to address that sooner than later.

My gut and BernieM also tell me that Greg Williams will not be our DC this season. You can take that to the bank!
    Last edited by laram0; -04-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    BarronWade likes this.

thillis is offline Registered User

I agree with you on the "silly season" of reporting. Some of this stuff is just insane. I read a report that suggested the only reason Fisher was interested in Blackmon was because he was wow'ed with his visit and that there number one choice was Melvin Ingram. The article went on to say that Fisher thought Ingram could play OLB for them and DE and DT in certain situations. I think Ingram is a great talent, but come on!

I also agree that if the Browns pass on Richardson then they are well... the Browns.

The other thing I think you hit on is Floyd rising but not passing Blackmon. Reminds me of those reporters who said Clausen was better option than Bradford in 2010.

general counsel is offline Registered User

My gut tells me its blackmon at 6 and either guard or defensive tackle at 33.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

My gut tells me that if Blackmon and Claiborne were both there at 6 through some miracle, Fisher would draft Claiborne. Of course my gut also tells me to forget about the possibility of them both being there at 6.

My gut tells me that Miami will trade into the 3rd spot and draft Ryan Tannehill. If that happens, the Browns take Richardson, the Bucs take Claiborne, and we'll be left with the option of Kahlil, Blackmon, or trade down. That would leave us in a tremendous position of strenth, almost as strong as the 2nd spot. Kahlil and Blackmon would undoubtedly attract plenty of attention, and likely garner a nice secondary lot, should we decide to trade down again.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-12-2012 at 01:24 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Fortuninerhater, that is a fascinating gut feel you have and i sure hope you are correct. If it happens, i love our options that you set out above. However, i think its a massive longshot for miami to give up major picks to move from 8 to 3 (you would think that would cost at least a #1 next year plus more) to take a guy that has played a grand total of 19 college games, i dont care how much upside he has. I think Tannehill is massively overated and a reach at 8, let alone trading up big time to get him.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

My gut tells me to get another beer........

and that Fisher does something outside the box at #6 (think Cox or something) if Richardson isn't there and he doesn't trade down.

If he trades down, I think he goes DL.

I thinks WR/OL @ #33 and #39 but not necessarily in that order.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -04-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Semper Fi!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

My sources are telling me that the Rams are going to finish with this draft in Rounds 1 and 2:

Justin Blackmon
    Jerel Worthy
    David Wilson

THE DREAM TEAM

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

My gut tells me Justin Blackmon is the #1 player on their board.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

My gut says the Rams trade down again.

I don't know if it was the 6th pick or the 33rd pick. I couldn't tell by the grumblings in the gut.

A Michael gets picked at the 11 spot Brockers or Floyd by Rams.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Fortuninerhater, that is a fascinating gut feel you have and i sure hope you are correct. If it happens, i love our options that you set out above. However, i think its a massive longshot for miami to give up major picks to move from 8 to 3 (you would think that would cost at least a #1 next year plus more) to take a guy that has played a grand total of 19 college games, i dont care how much upside he has. I think Tannehill is massively overated and a reach at 8, let alone trading up big time to get him.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yeah, I hope I'm right too.

I agree that is a pretty sizeable longshot, but stranger things have happened.

Tannehill overrated? Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't say that so loud...............I know that, and you know that, but that's exactly what we need to make this thing work, right?

So as far as I'm concerned, he's the greatest thing since Dan Marino.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

My gut feeling is that if the Rams draft Muhammad Sanu in the second round I'm going to be incredibly disappointed.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My gut is telling me that this thread uses the word "gut" more than any thread since Andy McCollum's off-season training thread.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast