Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

My Ideal Ram's Draft

I expect the Rams to trade down, but it's late and I dont feel like checking all of the deals that would have to go down, so for arguments sake let's just say we swapped firsts with Jacksonville for a third.

1st Round

DeMeco Ryans SLB

Despite seeing his stock drop, DeMeco has done nothing but been solid even sense the season ended. He ran a 4.65 at the combine and put up 23 reps of 225. He was highly productive in college from the SLB position and is a very solid tackler and intelligent player. He has extensive experience in the 3-4 and has played every LB position on the college level. DeMeco was also a star on special teams for Alabama. He is a guy who will not take a play off and a guy that you can build a defense around. Will step in from day one and be a playmaker.

Round 2

Max Jean-Gilles OG

This is more of a hope than anything else. Gilles is a monster blocker who was dominant in his time at Georiga. He could be entrenched as the starter at Guard from day one. He has great strength and is a powerful run blocker. Needs to improve his footwork a little bit, but is still a solid pass blocker.

Round 3

Roman Harper SS

Despite playing FS for the past two season, Harper is returning home to SS. Due to problems with depth at safety Harper was forced to move to FS at Alabama. He is a prototype SS though. He has great ball insticts and is a monster against the run. He could easily fill the hole left by Archuleta in the secodary and become a great safety very soon.

Round 3 (From Jacksonville)

Mark Anderson DE/OLB

Anderson is the tweener that Haslett is begging for. He has experience at OLB and DE. He has the speed to rush the passer and has great swim and spin moves to get around the Offensive Tackle. He needs to get stronger. He has great insticts, but sometimes has trouble shedidng blocks. Should provide solid depth at first and could be a good starter in 3 seasons.

Round 4

Skylar Green WR/RB

He's too good to pass up. There are questions at WR after this season with two guys up for FA. Skylar is a good fit here because he can fill the role of KR and PR while also providing solid depth at WR. He can probably play any position on offense and could see some playing time at RB as well.

Round 5

David Thomas TE

The need at TE has been ignored for too long. Thomas is a very good blocker and can play the H-Back role. He will challenge for a starting job in training camp.

Round 6

Will Blackmon CB/WR

A pure playmaker. Should be a solid NCB. He has experience at WR in case he is not able to play at CB. Has heart and determination and will find a place on the field.

Round 7

Kedric Golston DT

Should provide depth in the interior D-Line at the worst. He has a lot of potential and could develop into a monster in the middle of the line.

Round 7

Danny Baugher P

I know a lot of people are worried about taking a punter again. With this late of a pick though, I dont have a problem with it. He has a strong leg and should be a good punter. He's recovering from an injury right now, but he seems determined to get on the field and prove his worth. He is very consistent.

The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: My Ideal Ram's Draft

I don't see us drafting Alabama's defense, no matter how much you hope it happens.

raleigh_ram is offline Registered User

The tweener Hasslett is looker for goes by the name Lawson....Manny Lawson. Some might say he is a strech in the first round at the 11th pick, but I am not so sure. He could fill a huge hole for the D. Lawson may not have the weight for the DE position, but he, and probably will, put on some weight. He's only I would say 15 more pounds away from being in the DE weight area. He has enough speed and height to match up against any TE. I can picture him sacking, tackling, deflecting, and intercepting.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Wow, six SEC picks.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

The only thing I like is the Thomas pick

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Wow, six SEC picks.
    Yea I know. And every Alabama star on D. I only have One Hawkeye
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Wow, six SEC picks.
    lol. It was late and I was just naming off players that I hope would be selected. I dont really see a problem with an SEC heavy draft. Gilles, DeMeco, Harper, Anderson, Green, and Golston are all guys who have great potential and were very good in college. Seeing as how the SEC is built on strong defenses and power offenses, it seems a great place to look for the Rams road graders and defenseive players. It helps that this is a very strong SEC draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiguy
    I don't see us drafting Alabama's defense, no matter how much you hope it happens.
    I spend a lot of time researching stuff like this for my coaches. I watch a lot of tape on guys like guys in college trying to better some of the things that I do on the field. It has helped me to gain a better understanding as to the value of certain players. At their current level, this is where I see vertain players valuing out the best. This is my "Ideal" draft. There are 7 guys that could be drafted from Alabama; Ruddy Griffin, Charlie Peprah, Roman Harper, DeMeco Ryans, Mark Anderson, Freddie Roach, and Anthony Madsion. All were starters at some point last season. I have three guys going to St.Louis. All on defense, from the nation's best defenses the past two seasons. An attacking defense that closely resembles what Haslett ran in Pittsburgh with a lot of 3-4 looks and heavy blitzes. Out of the draft I just made, I could see 5 guys starting immediately for us. DeMeco and Harper are the two Bama players I see starting immediately. Anderson is a guy I see adding some more muscle and learning from Leonard Little. You dont have to like my mock, but to say I'm only going after Bama players is wrong. Try finding something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh_ram
    The tweener Hasslett is looker for goes by the name Lawson....Manny Lawson. Some might say he is a strech in the first round at the 11th pick, but I am not so sure. He could fill a huge hole for the D. Lawson may not have the weight for the DE position, but he, and probably will, put on some weight. He's only I would say 15 more pounds away from being in the DE weight area. He has enough speed and height to match up against any TE. I can picture him sacking, tackling, deflecting, and intercepting.
    I see him as a huge reach for a position that does not need to be addressed in the first. The position of a tweener guy is something that can be adressed in the third or fourth. In the first round, I believe Alabama needs a natural SLB, either Carpenter or Ryans. I have Ryans rated as the best SLB (I have Hawk rated as a MLB) so I see him landing in St.Louis if the situation occurs where the Rams trade down.
    Last edited by RamJackson39; -04-09-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I like the 2nd round pick of OG Max Jean-Giles

I know Stephen Jackson is lobbying for him too!

Manny all the way, but I trust that the coaches and front office will choose the player they feel are what's best for the team whether it be the players you have mentioned or Manny Lawson!!!! Go Rams!!!!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

We've had BIG problems stopping the run and we are undersized, so we are going to add Lawson to the mix as a DE?

I can only see him being a Rush type LB in a 3-4 formation. I doubt his coverage abilities at this point. Some teams may have the luxury of only using him as a DE in obvious passing situations for a couple years hoping he gains weight and gets stronger. If WE plug him in at DE, they are going to run right at him. NFL OTs will blow him out of the play.

MAybe I shouild be a little more specific why I think Manny would fill a huge hole. I think under Haslett's D Hargrove and Green will have no problem playing DE. MAnny could play SSOLB until he gains weight, which I beleive he will, and then he will be perfect tweener playing the 3-4 and 4-3. With Manny's height and speed, he could keep up with any TE, chase down most Backs, and Rush/Sack most QB's. Add some weight and his speed might decrease a little, and he'sthe perfect tweener.

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh_ram
    I think under Haslett's D Hargrove and Green will have no problem playing DE.
    Yikes, I disagree with that one. Neither Hargrove nor Green have the ideal strength or size to man the 3-4 defensive end position, IMO. In fact, I think Hargrove like Little would be a canidate to be a stand-up rushing outside linebacker when we shift to the 3-4, not a down end.

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh_ram
    Add some weight and his speed might decrease a little, and he'sthe perfect tweener.
    That's why you don't see Lawson as highly regarded, because there are legitimate concerns as to how much weight he'll be able to add onto his frame without losing the athletic qualities he brings to the table. The most he's ever weighed has been 247, and he's under 240 now.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about taking Skyler Green and Will Blackmon; the primary reason we'd want either of them is for special teams. Otherwise, we've got a pretty full depth chart at WR and CB. I'd go one or the other, but not both. I think Mark Anderson is an interesting possibility, but I'm not sold on Harper because I'm not convinced he's much better than the guys we have at safety. I'd rather take a DT or TE in that round, but having said that I do like the choice of David Thomas if we haven't taken a TE by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I'm not sure about taking Skyler Green and Will Blackmon; the primary reason we'd want either of them is for special teams. Otherwise, we've got a pretty full depth chart at WR and CB. I'd go one or the other, but not both. I think Mark Anderson is an interesting possibility, but I'm not sold on Harper because I'm not convinced he's much better than the guys we have at safety. I'd rather take a DT or TE in that round, but having said that I do like the choice of David Thomas if we haven't taken a TE by that point.
    I may be alone here, but I really like what Blackmon brings as a cover guy. He's got pretty good size and good hands. Taking him late, there is less of a risk. He's a boom or bust type of guy in my eyes.

I take Skylar because of his versatility. He can play RB, WR and is a very good KR. He's a playmaker.

Roman Harper is a ballhawk at safety. He started his career at Alabama at SS, but due to a depleted defense he was asked to move to FS. He still had the versatility to be a very effective player back there. He just has a history of being around the ball.

David Thomas is a guy I really like. I think it would be smart to wait and see if he will be available when we pick in the 5th. He would be a great H-Back. He's also a strong blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I dont really see a problem with an SEC heavy draft.
    If they're the best players on the board at need positions, I don't see much of a problem with it either, but I'm not convinced that will be the case. I don't think all that highly of Jean-Gilles, to be honest.

In the first round, I believe Alabama needs a natural SLB
    Freudian slip? LOL

I take Skylar because of his versatility. He can play RB, WR and is a very good KR. He's a playmaker.
    A playmaker who will probably be a slot guy and return man at best at the next level. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think in the fourth round, we could get either a receiver with more upside or a more talented player at another position, such as DT or CB.

Roman Harper is a ballhawk at safety. He started his career at Alabama at SS, but due to a depleted defense he was asked to move to FS. He still had the versatility to be a very effective player back there. He just has a history of being around the ball.
    That's all great, but it doesn't really show me where Harper is so much better than a guy like Atogwe. I tend to agree with Fleece in that he really isn't. So right off the bat we're spending a first day pick on a guy who would likely be a back-up when we could be spending it on a potential starter at DT or TE.

I think it would be smart to wait and see if he will be available when we pick in the 5th.
    It would be smart to not take a tight end earlier because we're waiting and seeing if someone is available in the fifth? That doesn't sound very smart to me. Let's say we wait, and then miss out on this guy. TE is a fairly big need on this team, at least in the top three. If we miss out on him, we'd really be limiting our options and would likely have to reach for someone of lesser talent just to ensure we even properly address the position and don't miss out again. Not a big fan of that strategy at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast