Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: My Ideal Ram's Draft

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh_ram
    MAybe I shouild be a little more specific why I think Manny would fill a huge hole. I think under Haslett's D Hargrove and Green will have no problem playing DE. MAnny could play SSOLB until he gains weight, which I beleive he will, and then he will be perfect tweener playing the 3-4 and 4-3. With Manny's height and speed, he could keep up with any TE, chase down most Backs, and Rush/Sack most QB's. Add some weight and his speed might decrease a little, and he'sthe perfect tweener.
    I disagree with the assessment that Manny's the perfect 'tweener. You'll have to correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen a lot of Wolfpack football, but from what I've read he has a lot of speed, but when NC State dropped a DE back into coverage, they dropped the heavier and slower Mario. Two explanations: 1) Mario can't pass rush as well as Manny or 2) Manny can't cover as well as Mario. And basically as a pass rusher, Manny has relied on his speed and not really shown a lot of other moves (i.e. spin, rip, swim). I read the transcript of a Combine interview where he admitted that he wished he had Freeney's spin move, but he just couldn't do it. He already put on 25 pounds before his senior year, and like Nick said he has never weighed more than 247. I'm not convinced he can bulk up that much more.

At the Senior Bowl, Ferguson pretty much kept him in check because when Manny can't fly around the tackle, he can't take on the block. To me he'd be a real boom or bust pick. He has natural gifts that could make him the next DeMarcus Ware or he could be a one dimensional player who can run but not cover, speed rush but not enough to get around NFL tackles. Ryans isn't a 'tweener type, but at least you know about what you're going to get from him.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I read that Manny Lawson is an INCREDIBLE athlete, but he doesn't have much lower body strength. Depending on his bone structure (they measure ankles at the combine) he may never develop good lower body strenth.

The reports also said Big OTs Engulfed and Mauled him in the running game. They also said that relies on straight line speed alone and he has to develop more moves.

Someone will take a shot at him because of his freakish numbers. Good teams usually have the luxury of taking guys that need time to develop. Lawson is hell on special teams. Teams like the Pats could justify him on that basis alone why they bring him along.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Good teams usually have the luxury of taking guys that need time to develop. Lawson is hell on special teams. Teams like the Pats could justify him on that basis alone why they bring him along.
    Maybe, maybe not. It's questionable as to how good of a team the Pats are anymore. They lost a number of pretty good players, and no longer have their clutch kicker. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a down year in 2006, but then again, they tend to find a way to pull out miracles when you think they're finally going to show they're human.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

If they're the best players on the board at need positions, I don't see much of a problem with it either, but I'm not convinced that will be the case. I don't think all that highly of Jean-Gilles, to be honest.
    I love Gilles. He's a road grader. I saw him dominate a lot of DTs and push them around like they were nothing. He needs to work on his footwork in pass protection, but he's already a great run blocker.

That's all great, but it doesn't really show me where Harper is so much better than a guy like Atogwe. I tend to agree with Fleece in that he really isn't. So right off the bat we're spending a first day pick on a guy who would likely be a back-up when we could be spending it on a potential starter at DT or TE.
    I believe that Harper is a better SS than Atogwe. I can see Atogwe splitting time at FS with Chavous.

A playmaker who will probably be a slot guy and return man at best at the next level. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think in the fourth round, we could get either a receiver with more upside or a more talented player at another position, such as DT or CB.
    I think Green has a lot of upseide. I saw a lot of LSU games the past few years and he has been a force everytime he's on the field.

It would be smart to not take a tight end earlier because we're waiting and seeing if someone is available in the fifth? That doesn't sound very smart to me. Let's say we wait, and then miss out on this guy. TE is a fairly big need on this team, at least in the top three. If we miss out on him, we'd really be limiting our options and would likely have to reach for someone of lesser talent just to ensure we even properly address the position and don't miss out again. Not a big fan of that strategy at all.
    Long weekend. I should have explained what I was saying better. Around the 4th round, see the TEs avaible. I dont see a guy like Thomas going until the late 5th. Maybe something has happened and TEs have flown off the shelf. Then yeah, you go with the guy there. Wait and see who's available first though. If there are two guys who should be there at the next pick, go after the guy who most likely wont be. A guy like Harper or Anderson probably wont be there in the next round.

I dont know how much sense that makes. I need to sleep.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Doesn't Jean-Giles have a weight problem?
    RamsFan16

It's only a problem when you cant fit into the stadium anymore. ;-)

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Haha. Seriously though I thought that I heard he has a weight problem and its making some scouts a little scared.
    RamsFan16

Haha. Seriously though I thought that I heard he has a weight problem and its making some scouts a little scared.
    It's not really a problem. He's got a lot of weight, but it's nothing that an offseason in the NFL wouldnt fix.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I spend a lot of time researching stuff like this for my coaches. I watch a lot of tape on guys like guys in college trying to better some of the things that I do on the field.
    Did the tapes from the Big 10 and Big 12 not arrive yet? Seriously, if you want to claim that this is based on knowledge other than some inflated sense of self-worth then you have to understand that their is football outside of the SEC. I'll grant you that you understand 'Bama and the SEC players pretty well, but if you want anyone to take you seriously as a draft prognosticator or whatnot, then you have to do better. RF16's fickleness and Iowa-worship can be explained by his age. What's your excuse, especially since you claim to be trying at it?

I have three guys going to St.Louis. All on defense, from the nation's best defenses the past two seasons.
    My alma mater had one of the best defenses in the nation. God forbid we draft any of those guys in the first or second round.

Out of the draft I just made, I could see 5 guys starting immediately for us. DeMeco and Harper are the two Bama players I see starting immediately.
    You're nuts. Has any team that was in the playoffs in the past three years gotten three new starters from the draft without multiple first and second round picks?

Try finding something else.
    Physician heal thyself.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I have heard that Gilles is pretty slow and lacks agility, and that probably is because of his massive bulk. Let me put it this way: Ngata, 338. Gilles, 355. Even at that weight, he has been very good, though. Other than when he is required to pull, he doesn't need to be terribly mobile at guard.

Did the tapes from the Big 10 and Big 12 not arrive yet? Seriously, if you want to claim that this is based on knowledge other than some inflated sense of self-worth then you have to understand that their is football outside of the SEC. I'll grant you that you understand 'Bama and the SEC players pretty well, but if you want anyone to take you seriously as a draft prognosticator or whatnot, then you have to do better. RF16's fickleness and Iowa-worship can be explained by his age. What's your excuse, especially since you claim to be trying at it?
    I watch the tapes my coaches give me. By the way, I'm 17. My coaches have sat down with me and watched tapoe of mostly TEs, guys like Pope, Davis, Lewis, Thomas, Klopfenstein; because I play that position on the team and have been unable to do any work outs because of a torn ACL. I had a lot of guys from the SEC, give me a break though dude; I did this mock at 3 in the morning and from what I saw when I got done; it had some pretty solid defenders in it.

My alma mater had one of the best defenses in the nation. God forbid we draft any of those guys in the first or second round.
    I dont really expect to see Ryans or Harper in a St.Louis uniform. The only Bama pkayer I expect to see in Blue and Gold is Mark Anderson. The thing is, Ryans grades out as a 1st round prospect. A few mocks had him going to Oakland before the Senior Bowl. Measurables are the gods of the offseason though and guys like Ernie SIms have found themselves rated very highly.

You're nuts. Has any team that was in the playoffs in the past three years gotten three new starters from the draft without multiple first and second round picks?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt St.Louis have at least 3 rookies starting in 01' on defense. Notice though, I didnt say they were all defenders starting. I see Gilles, DeMeco, Harper, Thomas, and Baugher as the new starters. That's only two new starting defenders.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Naw, there is a weight problem. But its the d-line's problem, they can't move his weight.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I believe that Harper is a better SS than Atogwe. I can see Atogwe splitting time at FS with Chavous.
    Well, neither of them would be beating out Chavous at SS, and I don't see Harper beating out Atogwe at FS, so again, not much of an upgrade over what we already have, which was the initial point that Golden was making, I believe.

I think Green has a lot of upseide. I saw a lot of LSU games the past few years and he has been a force everytime he's on the field.
    Just being a force in college football does not equate to great upside for the next level. The pinnacle I can see Skyler Green achieving would be an '02-'04 Antwaan Randle El, and I think that's being very VERY optimistic in itself.

Long weekend. I should have explained what I was saying better. Around the 4th round, see the TEs avaible. I dont see a guy like Thomas going until the late 5th. Maybe something has happened and TEs have flown off the shelf. Then yeah, you go with the guy there. Wait and see who's available first though. If there are two guys who should be there at the next pick, go after the guy who most likely wont be. A guy like Harper or Anderson probably wont be there in the next round.
    ...I didn't follow that any better the second time around, so I'll just let it drop. That said, I think it's a pretty risky strategy to wait until the fifth thinking you're going to get David Thomas there. If we have a chance to take a good TE prospect in the second or third, we shouldn't pass on it just because we believe we'll get Thomas in the fifth.

A few mocks had him going to Oakland before the Senior Bowl.
    A few? I don't know what mocks you were looking at. I've only seen him that high in one - Kiper's January mock, where he also had Anthony Fasano and Derek Hagan as first rounders. I don't think I personally ever projected him higher than 17, but I could be mistaken. I just don't think there was as much acclaim around Ryans as you say there was, nor do I think a few mocks should be the basis of the implication that Ryans was a consensus top pick.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I have heard that Gilles is pretty slow and lacks agility, and that probably is because of his massive bulk. Let me put it this way: Ngata, 338. Gilles, 355. Even at that weight, he has been very good, though. Other than when he is required to pull, he doesn't need to be terribly mobile at guard.
    Yay! We get an immobile guard who drops in pass protection but sucks oxygen when we execute a run play! :tongue:

Well, neither of them would be beating out Chavous at SS, and I don't see Harper beating out Atogwe at FS, so again, not much of an upgrade over what we already have, which was the initial point that Golden was making, I believe.
    I think he could be a very solid backup this season and could move into the starting role next season. He has better coverage skills than Arch and is a beast against the run. Not a huge upgrade, but over time he would develop into a solid SS for St.Louis.

Just being a force in college football does not equate to great upside for the next level. The pinnacle I can see Skyler Green achieving would be an '02-'04 Antwaan Randle El, and I think that's being very VERY optimistic in itself.
    I think we should just agree to disagree here. We obviously saw different things when watching Skylar play.

So, overall I take it my mock is hated. ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast