Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25
  • 2 Post By VegasRam
  • 1 Post By citr92

Thread: My Latest Dream Draft For Rams (subhect to 1000 changes by April)

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

My Latest Dream Draft For Rams (subhect to 1000 changes by April)

My early board looks strongest at OT anywhere in the top 7, and then STRONGLY WR in the mid round.

If the Rams go by their board, and don't deal down far, these two positions seem by far most likely, and mind you I am not a "take a wr for sure" guy, and I would not take Sammie Watkins, as what they need is a bigger guy that can catch in a crowd.

With Mike Evans, now Davonte Adams, and hopefully Kelvin Benjamin, available at #12 to #15, the Rams would be hard pressed to go another direction there. No safety or CB measures up as a prospect there. Next best is OT, but if you have taken one already....

Round two will be quite strog at CB, and some safety will fall as well that they might like.

If they can add another late 1 or early #2 in a deal down from #2 overall, to no further than6th or 7th, however, i look at a guard there, as it is a good year for them, and that's where the best will go.

So my dream draft is to trade down just a bit, and end up with Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, then David Yankey or Cyril Richardson, and finally Bradley Roby or L. Purifory or Darqueeze Dennard with the Rams second , to send them into Rd3 looking at Safety, QB, OLB, and DT.the rest of the draft.

If the top safety, Clinton-Dix is there when I took a guard, I consider him instead, and look for a guard in rd 3 or 4. I also look for safties all over the draft, and sign a reasonably priced free agent veteran for lots of competition there.

Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: My Latest Dream Draft For Rams (subhect to 1000 changes by April)

Barry, I don't understand why you'd include a first round WR in your dream draft for the Rams, considering that only a week or so ago in your "For All the WR Lovers" thread, you claimed that first round receivers don't help in the win column and that the best offenses in the league right now did not reach that status by by spending high picks at the receiver position.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Barry, I don't understand why you'd include a first round WR in your dream draft for the Rams, considering that only a week or so ago in your "For All the WR Lovers" thread, you claimed that first round receivers don't help in the win column and that the best offenses in the league right now did not reach that status by by spending high picks at the receiver position.
    .....busted

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Acouple things have happened since I posted that stuff about WR, which was valid.

However, this was before Davonte Adams and possibly Kelvin benjamin decided to come out, and also before i got to atch some highlights and games on Mike Evans.

I still would not take Lee or Watkins or Beckham, as good as they may be, because they are not a fit for what the Rams really need, a really big outside guy that is great in traffic a good blocker etc.

I have come to see Evans as this guy, and also Benjamin, who is a bit more raw. Same for Adams, coming off a monster year.

In addition, this scenario is after a deal down to add another high pick, which makes taking BPA that fits any need far easier.

When I was against looking WR in round one, I wanted to see how the guys already here progressed as the seson wound down.

I also thought they were in worse cap shape than I found to be true, which means Langford stays and the neeed for a DT is gone.

CB and safety would be big needs, but the talent pool is better in round two, or late round one, and certainly not at 12 to 16.

I am a BPA, when it also meets some need, even if not the prime need.

The way this is shaping up, about five receivers are going to go from 10 to 20, and as they work out, I bet they climb up the board, like the WR did last year. This year's bunch is way better.

Hopefully, Benjamin comes out, so you guarantee that Adams, Benjamin or Evans are there at 12, especially with a team needing a deep threat type possibly gong for Watkins before the bigger guys.

I may change my mind again, if a need appears or goes away, like if they could sign Saffold, which I doubt will happen, or they sign a starting FS as a free agent.

As I said before,a rookie WR isn't likely to make a huge difference in wins, BUT, this team is going to win, very soon and for awhile, even if they don't add anything, and kust keep what they have.

A big possession receiver with deep potential as well might not add a bunch of wins, but it could add one, and in the playoffs, could make a big impact.

It's just one more piece of a puzzle, and I cannot see them passing on this great group coming out, if all the underclassmen come out, not with at least one extra high pick, and probably at least one more by the time it is all said and done.
    Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Acouple things have happened since I posted that stuff about WR, which was valid.
    In the previous thread, you claimed that drafting a first round receiver was a mistake made by poor teams. In this thread, you've claimed that drafting a first round receiver represents your dream draft for the Rams because of the talent available this year.

I have no problem with people changing their mind based on new information. But you can't claim both of those opinions are valid, because they are entirely contradictory. If you've changed your mind since your previous opinion, then your previous post objecting to the use of first round picks on receivers is, in fact, no longer valid.

You simply can't have it both ways here.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

If the Rams were able to trade down from the 2nd pick and still end up with Jake Matthews I'd be ecstatic
    Randart likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    In the previous thread, you claimed that drafting a first round receiver was a mistake made by poor teams. In this thread, you've claimed that drafting a first round receiver represents your dream draft for the Rams because of the talent available this year. I have no problem with people changing their mind based on new information. But you can't claim both of those opinions are valid, because they are entirely contradictory. If you've changed your mind since your previous opinion, then your previous post objecting to the use of first round picks on receivers is, in fact, no longer valid. You simply can't have it both ways here.
    I thought AV was the lawyer. Also, how come you don't do the mock gambling.

And FWIW, you and Barry are (IMHO) the two most (football wise) intelligent posters on this site.

Happy New Year - which we're going into at 8-8.
    RamDez and Nick like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    If the Rams were able to trade down from the 2nd pick and still end up with Jake Matthews I'd be ecstatic
    and probably would have something else to go with the pick
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    and probably would have something else to go with the pick
    Hopefully another 1st rounder, either this year or next year.

Rambos is online now Registered User

So my dream draft is to trade down just a bit, and end up with Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, then David Yankey or Cyril Richardson, and finally Bradley Roby or L. Purifory or Darqueeze Dennard with the Rams second , to send them into Rd3 looking at Safety, QB, OLB, and DT.the rest of the draft.
    This works for me. Even with bailey coming on, still think we need to add a bigger WR. I still have hope for Quick but he did not do enough for us not to pass on a WR.