Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Mock

todd1 is offline Registered User

My Mock

1. Vernon Gholston (DE - Ohio St.) - can not pass on this ridiculous athlete. I've seen him compared to Merriman and Adalius Thomas. I'll take it. Also fills HUGE need.
    2. Reggie Smith (SS/CB - Oklahoma) - excellent versatility. Can help out at CB if Fakhir decides to burn a few. Also can eventually replace Chavous at SS.
    3. Will Franklin (WR - Mizzou) - speed merchant on the outside can fill the need for a deep threat. Admittedly a bit of a homer pick on my part, but he will go in this range.
    4. Jeremy Zuttah (OL - Rutgers) - again, Versatility! Can play all the OL spots. I've heard he may be an excellent Center prospect as well.
    5. Kevin O'Connell (QB San Diego St.) - intriguing developmental QB prospect. We've had some luck sith SDSU products, too.
    6. Gary Guyton (OLB - Georgia Tech) - LB depth with solid measurables.
    7. Tommy Blake (DE - TCU) - Excellent talent with serious off-field issues. But at round 7, why not?

I realize my draft takes a huge leap of faith with our o-line - hoping Pace can stay healthy, Barron finally gets it, etc. But we have so many holes, there is no way we can address them all in one draft.

Alternatives -

I was torn on Smith and James Hardy (WR - Indiana) at the top of the second round. I really like Hardy, he ran excellent times at the Combine at 6'6" and seems to fit Linehan's mold of receivers. I see him as a Plax Burress type. Not sure if Saunders would like the big WR, though.

If we were to go with Hardy in Round 2, it would alter the following picks. Maybe take Carl Nicks (OT - Neb) at the top of round 3 and hope Zbikowski (S- ND) falls to top of round 4.

Thoughts??

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: My Mock

I really like those first three. Will Franklins numbers dropped off his senior year, but thats because they had so many weapons. During that last year, all that did was improve his downfield blocking. He can catch, run, and block downfield...I'll take him.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I'm really liking Vernon Gholston over Chris Long. Besides it really looks like Miami is taking Chris. I would like to see us go OL or WR with our 2nd pick.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Great mock. Especially the first three picks. Especially with word that Brown might be out, Reggie Smith would actually be a better pick I think. I mean, sure we need OL help, but we can find a decent player in the 4th round as you chose.

I think we have our OL good, sure, it might not be perfect, but it's good. We can have a depth player in the 4th round. One day, he may be our starting center.

Will Franklin would be a good player. He may not be the best in the draft, but if he's available, he's definately worth getting.

Great mock. I'm glad you believe that DE is a priority instead of OL.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

If we go with a DE the 1st round. I think we take Branden Albert in the 2nd. My pick for a future pro bowler. I think he will be there and we would be crazy not to take him. Talk is he could and has played RT. In the 3rd WR.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

you started out strong but it was down hill after that

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smitheRAM View Post
    If we go with a DE the 1st round. I think we take Branden Albert in the 2nd. My pick for a future pro bowler. I think he will be there and we would be crazy not to take him. Talk is he could and has played RT. In the 3rd WR.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but Branden Albert's not making it out of the first round unless there something seriously wrong with him. At the very latest, he'll go to Pittsburgh who will instantly be able to put him into their lineup to replace Faneca. If Albert didn't play OG, he'd be a top 15 pick.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by todd1 View Post
    1. Vernon Gholston (DE - Ohio St.) - can not pass on this ridiculous athlete. I've seen him compared to Merriman and Adalius Thomas. I'll take it. Also fills HUGE need.
    Looks good, not much else to say. Gholston can make an immediate impact coming off the edge.

2. Reggie Smith (SS/CB - Oklahoma) - excellent versatility. Can help out at CB if Fakhir decides to burn a few. Also can eventually replace Chavous at SS.
    Intriguing pick. I can't recall seeing Smith brought up that much in discussions about the Rams, so credit for thinking outside the box. I'm not sure I'm completely sold, but intriguing nonetheless. I knew Smith had safety experience in college, but after taking a closer look, I was surprised to see that he'd actually started 20 games at strong safety.

3. Will Franklin (WR - Mizzou) - speed merchant on the outside can fill the need for a deep threat. Admittedly a bit of a homer pick on my part, but he will go in this range.
    Solid. I'm not sure if he'll be the best receiver available when we pick at the top of this round, but you're right in that he's projected to go somewhere around here. Ultimately the question with Franklin is will he ever take his game to the next level? He has the size/speed combo you look for, but never had the production you'd expect to see matched with that ability. So you have to wonder - will that continue in the pros, or will he be able to progress into something special?

4. Jeremy Zuttah (OL - Rutgers) - again, Versatility! Can play all the OL spots. I've heard he may be an excellent Center prospect as well.
    Not bad. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. I can't help but wonder if he's going to be a career back-up, that sixth man on the O-line that can fill in when needed but just can't seem to lock down a starting job of his own. It would worry me drafting him to play center, considering he has no actual experience there.

5. Kevin O'Connell (QB San Diego St.) - intriguing developmental QB prospect. We've had some luck sith SDSU products, too.
    Call me if he's there a round later. This just seems a bit too early for a guy who is going to need some serious time to develop. Seems like a great athlete though, especially for his size.

6. Gary Guyton (OLB - Georgia Tech) - LB depth with solid measurables.
    Decent late round pick. Has strong side experience and good size. Could develop into a solid two-down defender.

7. Tommy Blake (DE - TCU) - Excellent talent with serious off-field issues. But at round 7, why not?
    I'd stay away, even though this is probably good value in terms of risk versus reward. Blake is being treated for depression and social anxiety disorder, and you just don't know what you're going to get out of him. He showed up out of shape initially to offseason events and did not look impressive, but may have gained some ground back at his pro day. I understand the reasoning of why not take a flier on him this late, though.

I was torn on Smith and James Hardy (WR - Indiana) at the top of the second round. I really like Hardy, he ran excellent times at the Combine at 6'6" and seems to fit Linehan's mold of receivers. I see him as a Plax Burress type. Not sure if Saunders would like the big WR, though.
    I actually think Hardy has a good chance of going in the first round. Other receiver prospects like DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly, Mario Maningham, and Limas Sweed have failed to really lock up the top spot in this class. Meanwhile, guys like Hardy and Devin Thomas have been impressive in post-season workouts and have been climbing. I like the chances of one of those six being there for us at the top of round two, but I'm not sure it'll be Hardy.

keith m. klink Guest

I think you took a few diferant avenue's , but i actually kinda liked it , like NICK said ( a little outside the box .

My 1 big big pet peave this year is NO and i mean NO project players this year . there is no reason to bring a LINEHAN draftie in for some project timewhen he could be gone next year .
    so you have to make #4 , #5 and #7 the best player , no reaches, not projected/ great talent -too good to let go guy's . if we were stable i would say sure .

With your 4th rd pick , you can find a good CENTERS in SULLIVAN and maybe JUSTICE. You might find a TACKLE like GRECO or a G/T in COUSINS or even some GUARDS like YOUNG and SCHUENNING .

your 5th i agree with NICK . 1 round later and you picked 1 of the 4 qb''s that i liked this year ( FLACCO - AINGE - FLYNN - O'CONNELL .) a 6th with O'CONNELL and your right on .

And with this pick #7 , i would have gone for either another O-LINEMAN or YOU GOT IT DE'S . you hit on most of the things you could with this years grab , but the BLAKE issue just can't be worth a pick to me . THIS is all i'll say on this and you decide . LAWERANCE PHILLIPS - - BYRD -- .. no more POTENTIAL stars , NO MORE NO MORE we want players , proven players .

Hell ! if potential could be measured in a cup , i'd make a cake and give us all a piece .
    Last edited by keith m. klink; -03-17-2008 at 11:16 AM.

todd1 is offline Registered User

Nick,

If Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, or DeSean Jackson are there at #33, the Rams need to sprint that card to the podium. Especially Kelly and Jackson. I think Jackson could be exactly like the WR's Saunders had in Washington, particularly Santana Moss. I think people get way too caught up with size sometimes.

Reggie Smith was great in college, and I'm a big proponent of drafting versatility. That way, you're not handcuffed when other potential free agents or draft picks are available. It also pays off on the field, if you have a SS that could slide down and actually cover a slot receiver (as we saw Chavous attempt last year).

I too have the same concerns on Franklin. I would be hopeful, if he is a Ram, that he could learn the nuances of the position from Holt. Just curious, what other WR's do you see available at the top of round 3 that would be better values?

I was really impressed with Zuttah at the combine. He is very athletic and will probably end up as a C-G. If he did end up being the 6th lineman, a swing man, would that really be that bad from a 4th rounder? Off the top of my head, that would be a home run compared to past 4th rounders the Rams selected.

I would like to see a developmental QB. O'Connell may be a bit of a reach, but we all know QB's go a little earlier than they really should. What developmental QB's are you liking this year? You think the Rams would look at Dixon?

The Blake pick was a random shot in the dark, really. Pretty tough to project a 7th rounder. My reasoning is that yeah, he may wash out due to his mental problems. But what are the odds of any 7th rounder actually making the roster? Not practice squad, but Roster. May as well take a gamble at that point, IMO.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I still get a little nervous when thinking VG. Yes, he's a workout warrior. No doubt. And yes, he had huge games the past two years; especially against Michigan and Wisconsin in '07. However, in the 24 other games from his past two years, he only had 14.5 sacks and got shut out in half of those games (Compare shutouts: VG - 12; C.Long - 10). Don't get me wrong......not a bad number at all, but is that enough reason to draft a one-trick pony at #2? Maybe, but I'm just not sure yet.

And one more thing that concerns me about VG......over the past two years he's only had 23 run stops. He's had 40 assists to go with that, but only 23 times in 26 games has he taken on a runner and stopped him (Compare run stops: VG - 23; C.Long - 49).

I'm not going to go screaming into the night if he's the pick, but I'm not sold on his run stopping ability either.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-18-2008 at 09:38 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I still get a little nervous when thinking VG. Yes, he's a workout warrior. No doubt. And yes, he had huge games the past two years; especially against Michigan and Wisconsin in '07. However, in the 24 other games from his past two years, he only had 14.5 sacks and got shut out in half of those games (Compare shutouts: VG - 12; C.Long - 10). Don't get me wrong......not a bad number at all, but is that enough reason to draft a one-trick pony at #2? Maybe, but I'm just not sure yet.

And one more thing that concerns me about VG......over the past two years he's only had 23 run stops. He's had 40 assists to go with that, but only 23 times in 26 games has he taken on a runner and stopped him (Compare run stops: VG - 23; C.Long - 49).

I'm not going to go screaming into the night if he's the pick, but I'm not sold on his run stopping ability either.
    So if C. Long is gone, you would you prefer we take to address the need for a DE?

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    So if C. Long is gone, you would you prefer we take to address the need for a DE?
    Yea, yea, I know....the "Chris Long is gone" scenario. Well, IMO, I would take Jake Long and go DE in the 2nd. To answer the question, probably Lawrence Jackson or Quentin Groves. Maybe Calais Campbell, though he scares me more at 33 than VG at 2. Or wait until the 3rd and go with a Jason Jones or Kendall Langford.

But again, I wouldn't go into convulsions if VG were the pick at 2. He's a stud. He's just not as "clean" a pick as either of the Longs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yea, yea, I know....the "Chris Long is gone" scenario. Well, IMO, I would take Jake Long and go DE in the 2nd. To answer the question, probably Lawrence Jackson or Quentin Groves. Maybe Calais Campbell, though he scares me more at 33 than VG at 2. Or wait until the 3rd and go with a Jason Jones or Kendall Langford.

But again, I wouldn't go into convulsions if VG were the pick at 2. He's a stud. He's just not as "clean" a pick as either of the Longs.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by clean?

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by clean?
    I be glad to. Even better, I'll elaborate on what Mayock and Davis meant (as they describe the term) when they use the term. They use the term as a combination of "pro-ready" and "safe". That is to say, safe as in a lower bust probability; and pro-ready as in in a physical and mental situation to hit the ground running from day 1.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast