Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

My Mock Draft, if you can stand reading another

I know a lot of people may not like this, and it is not very likely that we would wait so long to address our offensive line. But I figured I would try something different than all the mock drafts I have seem on this message board, and this is the draft I would like the most.

DISCLAIMER: I strongly believe we should wait until next year to take a defensive tackle because of how good next year’s class will be with Suh, McCoy, Atkins, Oghobankahesena, Marsh, Austin, Jones, Jenkins, Granger, and Robinson all being possible first round talents. Also, I believe Ryan and Carriker still have a lot of room to improve (Carriker more than Ryan).

Round 1
    MLB Aaron Curry Wake Forest
    6’2 254
    I would be completely for drafting Eugene Monroe with this pick (Jason Smith, not so much) but I want to give Alex Barron a chance at Left Tackle this year and I think he can perform well. Aaron Curry should be a force in our defense for years to come, and will pair up well with our other talented players (Bartell, Long, Atogwe, Witherspoon, Carriker, Butler, and our second round pick…) I can’t believe I am actually getting excited about our defense.

Round 2
    OLB Clint Stintim Virginia
    6’3 253
    A dominant pass rushing force that can team up with his former Cavalier teammate Chris Long again. He would give us an extremely athletic linebacking core (or is it corps?).

Round 3
    RT Fenuki Tupou Oregon
    6’5 314
    Great size and good athleticism (5.20 forty at his pro day). NFLdraftscout gave him a 7.5 grade for run blocking, 7.3 for pass blocking, and 6.56 overall. Compare that to Jason Smith’s 6.5, 7.3, and 6.69 and the value we would be getting in the 3rd round seems pretty good. I am not saying Tupou is anywhere near as talented as Smith, or has the same upside, but I do think can be a very good right tackle. Because of this pick we can keep Bell at LG, where I think he will thrive with a great center alongside of him. Incognito and Grecco will fight over the RG spot in camp, and I believe Cogs will win, but Grecco would give our line much better depth with him, Goldberg, and Schuening.

Round 4
    SS Chris Clemons Clemson
    6’0 210

He may not be around at the top of the 4th round because of his 4.41 forty at the combine (best of all safeties), but if he is this would be a great pick in my opinion. Recorded at least 94 tackles his last three years at Clemson.

EDIT: Changed in a later post to CB Domonique Johnson, Jackson State

Round 5

WR Aaron Kelly Clemson again
    6’5 205
    He has very good size with good speed (4.49 forty). Declared for the 2008 draft as a junior after topping 1,000 yards and 10 TD’s, but eventually decided to stay for his senior season. His numbers suffered with Cullen Harper’s terrible senior season, so in turn his draft stock dropped. I believe he could be a good receiver in a few years. Adds versatility with his kick return ability

Round 6
    DE Phillip Hunt Houston
    6’1 260
    C-USA defensive player of the year, recorded 14 sacks his senior year. Has decent speed (4.68 forty) and showed a lot of versatility lining up at tackle, end, and linebacker at Houston.

OR

DT Roy Miller Texas
    6’1 310
    Ran a very good forty (4.98) for his size at the combine. He was voted 1st team All Big 12 as a senior with 5.5 sacks.

Round 7
    RB Devin Moore Wyoming
    5’9 192
    Honestly, when I was making this I didn’t really care about the 7th round pick at all. But when I saw that Devin Moore’s draft stock had slipped all the way to the 7th round I changed my mind. I remember back when he was projected as a mid round pick because of his amazing speed. Although he didn’t light it up at the combine or pro day (4.41 forty) that is still very good speed. And I have to believe he has even better speed than his forty number indicates if people were expecting him to run a low 4.3 and become the next Chris Johnson.
    Last edited by iStillBelieve; -03-21-2009 at 10:46 PM.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Re: My Mock Draft, if you can stand reading another

Just to point it out, it's Clint SINTIM not stintm lol. About rounds 1 and 2, I doubt that we will go for two linebackers in the first two rounds because OL is also a serious need right now and usually if you pick up a guy in the third round they don't make an immediate impact, which is what we need. IF we do go with what you say, we would have an amazing linebacker corps lol.

I don't see why we would need another safety since we just signed James Butler and Todd Johnson is a good back up.

I can't say much about the rest of the draft becuase I do not know who some of them are, but I do like the Devin Moore pick. His speed will help us out alot on special teams if he is put in at kick or punt returns. And it could also help as a backup running back. He kind of reminds me of Chris Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Just to point it out, it's Clint SINTIM not stintm lol. About rounds 1 and 2, I doubt that we will go for two linebackers in the first two rounds because OL is also a serious need right now and usually if you pick up a guy in the third round they don't make an immediate impact, which is what we need. IF we do go with what you say, we would have an amazing linebacker corps lol.

I don't see why we would need another safety since we just signed James Butler and Todd Johnson is a good back up.

I can't say much about the rest of the draft becuase I do not know who some of them are, but I do like the Devin Moore pick. His speed will help us out alot on special teams if he is put in at kick or punt returns. And it could also help as a backup running back. He kind of reminds me of Chris Johnson.
    Sorry about that, I guess it became muscle memory to type it Stintm because I remember you correcting me for spelling it wrong earlier.

I was under the impression that Todd Johnson was not a good backup, but if you say he is then maybe I was wrong. I think we should take Clemons because then we would not be forced to sign Atogwe to a long term deal, because even though he is a great play maker and I love him for that, he is weak in coverage. I just don't want to be put in a position where we have to overpay for him just to keep him in St. Louis.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

We wont take two LBs our 1st two picks.

Also it is becoming more and more clear that we are taking an OT in the 1st not Aarron Curry. Also i think the Patriots will take Clint Sintim in the 1st and trade the 34th pick for peppers so Sintim wont be there.

I just dont understand the pick of Clemons at all. Atogwe is our franchise guy and i think the Rams will try to sign him long term. Also if your afraid of him in coverage then look at our FS James Butler who can cover.

You also need a QB in there somewhere unless your thinking about getting an Undrafted rookie.

Also the only type of DT we are going to get is the "big sloppy guy" that Devaney is looking for. Roy Miller doesnt with that.

Also i am starting to buy into that get a NT next year a whole lot more. SO lets wait till next year and if we are in the top 5 again we take McCoy. Also yea AC and Ryan will improve but look at spags DL schemes we need a back-up that will come in and out of subs.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If you were shooting for something different, you have succeeded. It's not my cup of tea, but I really wouldn't be too unhappy with two real talents in Sintim and Curry, the same as i wouldn't be morbidly depressed with Curry and Hakeem Nicks or Curry and Ron Brace. It's just not what I'd shoot for in an ideal world.

Provided you have Sintim marked to play SLB?

Okay maybe I was wrong about the Clemons pick. I guess I will change it to a cornerback, but since it would be in the 4th round he shouldn't be expected to step in and play right away I will take a "project" in Domonique Johnson.

Although he only ran a 4.55 forty at the combine, he is much faster than that. At 6'2 200 pounds he has great size, and with the good speed that I assume he possesses, he has all the physical tools to play cornerback at the next level.

But after transferring from Mizzou to Jackson State after his sophomore year, he has played against much weaker competition. He recorded 10 interceptions the last two years, but I don't know how relavent that is in Div 1-AA. If Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie could make the transition to the NFL immediately, I think Johnson could become a very good cornerback with a year of learning proper technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Provided you have Sintim marked to play SLB?
    Yep

Stintim-Curry-Witherspoon

Yea, no not Johnson.

Remember Spags 4 pillars to build upon?

Character
    Faith
    Team First
    core values

from what i've read he has character issues and has clashed with coaches spags is not going to tolerate that.

"2009 Senior Bowl: Jackson State cornerback Domonique Johnson transferred from Missouri (where he was a sophomore starter before a knee injury) after coaches there questioned his dedication"

Is that the thing you read? Because I don't know if that is enough to rule somebody out as a draft pick, especially if it was over two years ago.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    We wont take two LBs our 1st two picks.
    Not to be rude, but where exactly did you get this information?

By my count we have to glaring needs at LB. If we go Curry, who imho is the best player in the draft, and if Laurinaitis falls to us, I could very well see us taking two LBs. As I've mentioned in multiple posts before, I would be pretty happy with two LB with our first 2 picks.
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -03-22-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

This is actually the first mock I've liked! The only beef I have is that I'd hope we address WR earlier. What can I say? I've got a man crush on Ramses Barden. Either way though, I'd love to see us be set at LB with strong young players.
    I really see Tupou making as much of an impact at RT as either Smith or Monroe would make at LT, so that plays out fine for me.
    The only other thought I have is the absence of a QB. It's going to have to be done sooner or later, as Gus Forgot won't be an answer to any problems that may arise.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Oghobankahesena ?

Seriously, that's one person's name?

I like the idea of emphasizing the needs on defense but I think LB in rd1 AND rd2 is not only unlikely, but unwise with only one proven starter at CB (Bartell).

Yes, I agree that Carriker can be a lot better but a bigger DT from the middle rounds, eg Knighton, will make a us better at pressuring the QB,stopping the run, and take pressure off both our LBs and secondary.We haven't re-signed Adeyanju and Glover is almost certainly gone. No matter how good Curry or Sintim are, they will not succeed if required to shed DT blocks head-on.

Two plus years of watching our O-line collapse and only a 2nd tier RT ? What makes you think this guy will be anything but a downgrade from Barron? Or that undersized Bell will really make the transition?

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    "2009 Senior Bowl: Jackson State cornerback Domonique Johnson transferred from Missouri (where he was a sophomore starter before a knee injury) after coaches there questioned his dedication"

Is that the thing you read? Because I don't know if that is enough to rule somebody out as a draft pick, especially if it was over two years ago.
    No thats thsts not the thing i read. I read Scott Wrights draft countdown thing:

you cannot copy and paste it but here is the link:
    Domonique Johnson | Jackson St. Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

I understand we cant put links but this particular thing cannot be copied and pasted.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Not to be rude, but where exactly did you get this information?

By my count we have to glaring needs at LB. If we go Curry, who imho is the best player in the draft, and if Laurinaitis falls to us, I could very well see us taking to LBs. As I've mentioned in multiple posts before, I would be pretty happy with two LB with our first 2 picks.
    Well the the thing is Spags is a defensive head coach so it is better to see what spags can do out of the guys we already have on defence. Cuz normally defensive minded head coaches fill there biggest offenses needs early.

A few examples from last year:

Tony Saprono dolphins: Jake LOng OT, Chad Henne QB
    Mike Smith Falcons: Matt Ryan QB
    John Harbaugh Ravens: Joe Flacco

Also we are learing a whole new different offensive scheme in the WCO. We also have a new offensive coordinator that will be calling the plays for the first time. So it would be great to give him a OL so his QB (Bulger) and his RB (Action Jackson) can make the plays that he (Shurmur) can formulate.

This is why if we dont get an OT in the 1st we get it in the 2nd or trade up and pick up William Beatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Oghobankahesena ?

Seriously, that's one person's name?
    Vince Oghobaase the DT from Duke, I didn't feel like looking up his name at the time so I just did the best I could from memory...the spelling was a bit of an exaggeration, but he is still a very talented player.
    Last edited by iStillBelieve; -03-22-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    This is why if we dont get an OT in the 1st we get it in the 2nd or trade up and pick up William Beatty.
    I wouldn't mind drafting Britton or Beatty in the 2nd round instead of Stintim, but the main point of my draft is I want to get a couple of dynamic linebackers that will make our front 7 that much more dominant. I think Tyrone McKenzie is a SAM and could be drafted in the 3rd round, so if we want to take Britton/Beatty in the second and then grab McKenzie in the 3rd that is fine with me.

I just don't feel like Beatty/Britton are that much better than Tupou.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast