rams_man13 Guest

My Mock Offseason

Let me know what you think, if this is possible, etc.

Resign:

- James Hall, DE (cheap, good rotational guy)
    - Gary Gibson, DT (good depth, cheap)
    - Clifton Ryan, DT (good DT, developing)
    - OJ Atogwe, FS (ballhawk in the secondary, one of our better D players)
    - Mark Setterstrom, OG (Decent backup on the OL)
    - Daniel Fells, TE (showed some flashes, looks like a good back-up)

Cut:
    - Alex Barron, LT (bust, will want LT money, hurts the team with drive killing mental mistakes)
    - Leonard Little, DE (older, will want starting DE money, time to move on)
    - Randy McMichael, TE (not a good TE anymore)
    - Marc Bulger, QB (he's old, expensive and can't be relied on anymore)

Free Agents:
    - Leon Washington, RB (good change of pace back, explosive, good in the return game, will come cheeper because of injury)
    - Tony Scheffler, TE (balanced TE who has excellent hands and decent blocking skills, feud with McDaniels will make him available from the Broncos)
    - Chad Pennington, QB (he's a one year stop gap to groom whatever QB we draft in the later rounds this year, he'll be cheap coming off surgery and should still have enough of a noodle arm to work in our west coast offense)
    - David Baas, OG (Big, run blocking RG to replace Richie)
    - Adam Terry, OT (Mammoth OT who will provide good depth/spot starting)
    - Thomas Howard, OLB (Great cover LB, will be dropped by the Raiders as a scapegoat for their struggles in stopping the run)
    - Derrick Johnson, MLB (I'm suggesting we move him to OLB where he dominated in college, I believe he's being misused right now)
    - Richard Marshall, CB (physical corner who supports the run, a traditional Spags guy)

Draft:

1.01- Ndamukong Suh, DT (Beast, BPA, Position of Need)
    2.01- Demaryius Thomas, WR (Ideal size, good speed and hands, WAS the Georgia Tech passing game)
    3.01- Greg Hardy, DE (Good size and speed, a solid pass rusher to work opposite Chris Long)
    4.01- Ciron Black, OT (Drops because he's not projected as a LT despite playing it all through college, dominant run blocker and instant RT starter)
    5.01- Dan LeFevour, QB (He's got a good chance to succeed at a cheap price, throw him in there and see if he can make something happen, if not, Jake Locker next year)

2010 St. Louis Rams Depth Chart:

QB- Chad Pennington, Dan LeFevour, Keith Null
    RB- Steven Jackson, Leon Washington, Chris Ogbonnaya
    FB- Mike Karney
    WR- Laurent Robinson, Donnie Avery, Demaryius Thomas, Brandon Gibson, Danny Amendola
    TE- Tony Scheffler, Daniel Fells, Billy Bajema
    LT- Jason Smith, Adam Terry, Adam Goldburg
    LB- Jacob Bell, Mark Setterstrom, Roger Allen III
    C- Jason Brown, Mark Setterstrom
    RG- David Baas, John Greco, Mark Setterstrom
    RT- Ciron Black, Adam Goldburg, Adam Terry

LE- Greg Hardy, James Hall, CJ Ah You
    DT- Clifton Ryan, Ndamukong Suh, Gary Gibson, Darell Scott
    RE- Chris Long, Adam Carricker, CJ Ah You
    WLB- Thomas Howard, Chris Chamberlain, KC Asiodu
    MLB- James Laurinaitis, David Vobora, Chris Chamberlain
    SLB- Derrick Johnson, Larry Grant, David Vobora
    CB- Ron Bartell, Richard Marshall, Bradley Fletcher, Quincy Butler, Justin King
    SS- James Butler, Clinton Hart
    FS- OJ Atogwe, Craig Dahl

KR- Leon Washington, Danny Amendola
    Punt R- Leon Washington
    Last edited by rams_man13; -01-26-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: My Mock Offseason

I like the resigns.

I love the free agency but honestly don't think we will be able to target and sign 7 players.

While not similar to my mock draft I wouldn't be unhappy with your picks. I like all of the players you picked but my only problem is with your expectations.

My rough rule of thumb....

Quarterbacks taken in the 1st round still need a year to develop under someone. Yes there have been exceptions but you can't bank on exceptions.

Quarterbacks taken in the later rounds take years to develop. LeFevour may turn out to be a great quarterback but odds are we wouldn't see him shine for 2 to 4 seasons.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Yeah that was pretty much what I was going to say. It would be a steal if he lasted until the 5th. But what if he didn't? what if the team at the bottom of the 4th picked him right before the Rams pick? Bulger has already been cut, so we'd be going into the season with Null as the starter. And how would starting LeFevour be any better than Null (for next year)? And no vet to help mentor them?

Sorry if that sounds critical, I do like the mock. Especially Thomas at 2, I'm really hoping for that. I think all of the above problems would be solved by keeping Bulger around or picking up a stopgap QB.

rams_man13 Guest
    I'm going to edit my post, I do agree with you guys about a veteran QB, but I don't think we keep Bulger at what he's currently making. I could be wrong but I believe that this is the first year that we actually save cap space by cutting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post

I love the free agency but honestly don't think we will be able to target and sign 7 players.
    I don't see why we can't grab these guys. It's not like I stacked that section with Brandon Marshall, Julius Peppers and Vincent Jackson, I think all those guys are likely to not get re-signed (for various reasons) and would look good and fit into the Horns.

I think the biggest "maybe" with respect to availability in that group will be Richard Marshall, and that depends on what the Panthers do about Matt Moore, Thomas Davis and Julius Peppers who should all be expecting big pay days.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Yeah that was pretty much what I was going to say. It would be a steal if he lasted until the 5th. But what if he didn't? what if the team at the bottom of the 4th picked him right before the Rams pick? Bulger has already been cut, so we'd be going into the season with Null as the starter. And how would starting LeFevour be any better than Null (for next year)? And no vet to help mentor them?

Sorry if that sounds critical, I do like the mock. Especially Thomas at 2, I'm really hoping for that. I think all of the above problems would be solved by keeping Bulger around or picking up a stopgap QB.
    I think Thomas is going to make a great WR1 in this league, he just looks so impressive in an offense that has very little room for a passing game. I expect him at WR1 the year after next, Robinson at WR2 and Avery using his speed in the slot to give us a great group of WR's.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-21-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I like it but we definitely need another QB so either keeping Bulger or signing a free agent QB would be best. Otherwise, great job.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_man13 View Post
    I don't see why we can't grab these guys. It's not like I stacked that section with Brandon Marshall, Julius Peppers and Vincent Jackson, I think all those guys are likely to not get re-signed (for various reasons) and would look good and fit into the Horns.

I think the biggest "maybe" with respect to availability in that group will be Richard Marshall, and that depends on what the Panthers do about Matt Moore, Thomas Davis and Julius Peppers who should all be expecting big pay days.

I hope your right.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Good job Rams man13, but I see Hardy, Black and LeFevour all being taken one round ahead of where you are projecting them.

However, stranger things than that occur every year, so I certainly hopethat you are right!!

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

2.01- Demaryius Thomas, WR
    3.01- Greg Hardy, DE
    4.01- Ciron Black, OT
    5.01- Dan LeFevour, QB
    I applaud the effort, but I doubt any of these guys are available at those spots.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rams_man13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I applaud the effort, but I doubt any of these guys are available at those spots.

Fair enough, these issues always come up as to what ranking site to use for who will be available. I'll site my source here: NFLDraftScout.com

I used the "Projected Round"
    Last edited by Nick; -01-21-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Read the rules please, no links!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Who's Kirk Morrison, and where did Thomas Howard go?

sakl18 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Who's Kirk Morrison, and where did Thomas Howard go?
    Kirk Morrison is the current starting MLB for the Raiders, and he will be resigned. I'm guessing he was a typo for Thomas Howard.

rams_man13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sakl18 View Post
    Kirk Morrison is the current starting MLB for the Raiders, and he will be resigned. I'm guessing he was a typo for Thomas Howard.

Yes indeed, sorry, that is my fault.