QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

My mock offseason! - First time, never have done this - Critique easy please :)

I think what I have put together is very realistic! I have never done this before. I have done quite a bit of research though and I really like this plan I put together. I am not a draft buff like others, so I only addressed our first, 2nd and 3rd round pick! I really don’t know players below that. I don’t want to just guess and try to make it look good

Please take in three factors:

-I am not good with the salary cap stuff, I still worked some numbers and I think this should work. (If you include the usual restructuring and cuts we have all been talking about).
    -This assumes Cleveland trades us 1.4 and 1.22 for our 1.2.
    -That Mike Adams and Zach Brown fall to the spots we have. I think Mike Adams will actually fall to 1.22, not sure about Zach Brown to 2.1 though!

Ok first let us address Free Agents:
    RB/FB – LeRon Mc’lain (sp?) – Not only can he play FB (which is needed in Fishers system), he can help be that back up to S-Jax
    DT – Jason Jones and Aubrayo Franklin – I think we can afford both and will be a good upgrade and solidify our D-line. Think about those guys taking up the space in the middle and we have our versions of Mathis and Freeney on the ends!
    CB – Cortland Finnegan – Enough said, this will be a perfect fit and automatic #1 CB!
    WR – Colston/V-Jax/D-Bowe/Resign Lloyd – This is where I’m not sure about the salary cap situation. Can we fit this guy if we restructure and cut enough! I put this last because only if we have cap room after the 4 moves above then do this. Also Resigning Lloyd is only if we can’t afford signing one of the other 3!
    Please let me know if you guys think the above is viable with our capspace??

Draft
    Trade 1.2 for 1.4 and 1.22
    1.4 – Justin Blackmon – WR – I want him as a Ram, I want him as a Ram, I want him as a Ram, and it would be a good thing if the Rams can get him? J
    1.22 – Mike Adams – OT – I think this guy will be perfect for us. I know there are people not behind this guy at all!
    2.1 – Zach Brown – OLB – Good OLB that I think will translate well in the NFL. Laurnitis and Brown will be a great LB combination for years to come! We will add another to this combo maybe next off season?
    3.2 – Chris Polk – RB – I am not sure if he will be available here, but if he is why not??! McClain can concentrate completely on FB duties while Polk can mature in the NFL as a back up Steven Jackson. 3rd down back? I also remember AV having Doug Martin, If Polk isn’t available Doug Martin??.
    Draft potential Center, OG, and other positions with rest of picks: to build depth or future!

Offensive starters for 2012
    QB – Bradford
    HB – Jackson … Polk/McClain back up
    FB – McClain
    TE – Lance Kendricks/Illini Mike

WR1 – Colston
    SlotWR – Amendola
    WR2 – Blackmon.

OL (LT to RT) – Saffold, Smith, Brown, Dahl, Adams (Depending on training camp of course. Especially the Adams/Saffold positions)

Defense starters 2012
    DE – Chris Long
    DT – Aubrayo Franklin, Jason Jones
    DE – Robert Quinn

SLB – Chamberlain/Poppinga
    MLB – Laurnitis
    WLB – Zach Brown

CB1 – Cortland Finnegan
    CB2 – Ron Bartell/Fletcher (if we get more cap room if we release Bartell)
    FS – Quintin Mikell
    SS – Stewart/Dahl
    So what do you guys think? Please let me know. Don’t forget to tell me if the FA is possible with our cap situation!

Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -02-13-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Re: My mock offseason! - First time, never have done this - Critique easy please :)

If we can nab one of those #1 receivers, that would be a coup in itself. I like your draft, but not being a mock draft expert myself, phrases that include 'grain of salt' come to mind.

I've tried to be more informed this offseason, looking at players clan rammers talk about. Polk looks real good but if we miss out on Blackmon, i hope we pick up Trent Richardson (reminds me of Steven Jackson).

summary: draft approved

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: My mock offseason! - First time, never have done this - Critique easy please :)

" A league source tells the Detroit Free Press the Lions could be "one of the key teams interested" in free agent CB Cortland Finnegan if he makes it to the open market.Finnegan is reportedly seeking a five- to six-year deal worth at least $10 million annually. There's been no indication the Titans plan to use the franchise tag on their No. 1 cornerback. The Lions have shown a keen interest in Titans defenders since hiring coach Jim Schwartz, also signing DE Kyle Vanden Bosch and MLB Stephen Tulloch away from Schwartz's former team. According to the Free Press, the Rams, Cowboys, Raiders, *****, Falcons, Bucs and Jaguars are other teams who could "make a play" for Finnegan "

That in itself would take up all our cap space, if we didn't create any. Not to mention one of those big 3 WR's would be around $7 million if not more. I doubt we could pull it off, otherwise the draft is nice!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Make it happen OG!!!!!!!!!!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    " A league source tells the Detroit Free Press the Lions could be "one of the key teams interested" in free agent CB Cortland Finnegan if he makes it to the open market.Finnegan is reportedly seeking a five- to six-year deal worth at least $10 million annually. There's been no indication the Titans plan to use the franchise tag on their No. 1 cornerback. The Lions have shown a keen interest in Titans defenders since hiring coach Jim Schwartz, also signing DE Kyle Vanden Bosch and MLB Stephen Tulloch away from Schwartz's former team. According to the Free Press, the Rams, Cowboys, Raiders, *****, Falcons, Bucs and Jaguars are other teams who could "make a play" for Finnegan "

That in itself would take up all our cap space, if we didn't create any. Not to mention one of those big 3 WR's would be around $7 million if not more. I doubt we could pull it off, otherwise the draft is nice!
    Exactly what I've been trying to tell people... We have about $10M in cap room now. We have a ton of holes, not just in depth but in actual people under contract. Such as, every outside linebacker on our roster last year is not under contract right now. That doesn't lead to big time aquisitions, even with extending Long, and redoing Sam's contract. Besides, who ever wins th FA super bowl in March and then the real one in February? Giants, nope. Packers, nope. Saints, nope. Pittsburgh, nope. Giants, nope. Colts, nope. See where I'm going here?

That said, OG, I very much like parts of your offseason. I pined for McClain last offseason and do again. He's a tweener who can carry the load if Jax goes down and can hurt people for him when he's in. Pair the two of them and a rookie and I'm happy. Great job.

Jason Jones is one of the few good tackles who are available. It's funny, but there are a lot of quality DE's out there, but very few DT's who are free this year. My bet is that we get at most one of starting quality from free agency, and it won't be Jones. Besides. We don't need an undersized DT who plays more DE. We need a stout run stuffer who will take up a couple blockers or else he'll pound the QB into dust. That frees up Long and Quinn. I've suggested Franklin and will continue to do so. Otherwise, if we could get Pouha(NYJ), Soliai(MIA), or Bryant(SEA), I'd be ecstatic, but they may all actually come more expensive that Franklin.

As for receivers, I'm going to assume that we grab a new one though the draft. Whether it's Blackmon or Floyd or whomever. They'll start outside. Lloyd is gone. NE needs receivers, he wants McD. Book it, even though I'd re-sign him with no issue. He seems to have found 'it'. As for the other side, some have said Manningham. Not after his Super Bowl. Some say VJax or DJax. No way in hell. And so, we turn to New Orleans. I'll take whichever guy they can't re-sign. Be it Colston or Meachem. Put me down. The question is, with a bit of a glut in talented receivers, where will the market price be? Don't be surprised about Harry Douglas or Eric Weems getting looked at, as our new GM was able to look at the Atlanta receivers very closely, and Douglas did well in covering up for an injured Julio Jones.

Finally we get to OLB. That's actually one of my top priorities, given that we don't have anyone under contract at the position. You list Poppinga/Chamberlain. Well, both are UFA's. I'd try to go after Seattle's Hawthorne if possible, and maybe even Anthony Spencer from Dallas. Otherwise, we need to draft one high definitely, and go after one of the Titans' backups. I also like Phil Wheeler from the Colts. He did ok in a bad situation this year and hope he could be a good Will backer.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Exactly what I've been trying to tell people... We have about $10M in cap room now. We have a ton of holes, not just in depth but in actual people under contract. Such as, every outside linebacker on our roster last year is not under contract right now. That doesn't lead to big time aquisitions, even with extending Long, and redoing Sam's contract. Besides, who ever wins th FA super bowl in March and then the real one in February? Giants, nope. Packers, nope. Saints, nope. Pittsburgh, nope. Giants, nope. Colts, nope. See where I'm going here?

That said, OG, I very much like parts of your offseason. I pined for McClain last offseason and do again. He's a tweener who can carry the load if Jax goes down and can hurt people for him when he's in. Pair the two of them and a rookie and I'm happy. Great job.

Jason Jones is one of the few good tackles who are available. It's funny, but there are a lot of quality DE's out there, but very few DT's who are free this year. My bet is that we get at most one of starting quality from free agency, and it won't be Jones. Besides. We don't need an undersized DT who plays more DE. We need a stout run stuffer who will take up a couple blockers or else he'll pound the QB into dust. That frees up Long and Quinn. I've suggested Franklin and will continue to do so. Otherwise, if we could get Pouha(NYJ), Soliai(MIA), or Bryant(SEA), I'd be ecstatic, but they may all actually come more expensive that Franklin.

As for receivers, I'm going to assume that we grab a new one though the draft. Whether it's Blackmon or Floyd or whomever. They'll start outside. Lloyd is gone. NE needs receivers, he wants McD. Book it, even though I'd re-sign him with no issue. He seems to have found 'it'. As for the other side, some have said Manningham. Not after his Super Bowl. Some say VJax or DJax. No way in hell. And so, we turn to New Orleans. I'll take whichever guy they can't re-sign. Be it Colston or Meachem. Put me down. The question is, with a bit of a glut in talented receivers, where will the market price be? Don't be surprised about Harry Douglas or Eric Weems getting looked at, as our new GM was able to look at the Atlanta receivers very closely, and Douglas did well in covering up for an injured Julio Jones.

Finally we get to OLB. That's actually one of my top priorities, given that we don't have anyone under contract at the position. You list Poppinga/Chamberlain. Well, both are UFA's. I'd try to go after Seattle's Hawthorne if possible, and maybe even Anthony Spencer from Dallas. Otherwise, we need to draft one high definitely, and go after one of the Titans' backups. I also like Phil Wheeler from the Colts. He did ok in a bad situation this year and hope he could be a good Will backer.
    Very good assesment, nice read.

I agree that the cap space we have is a little tricky, and in the end less than what it seems. If it means we get all the others if we don't get one of those Wide Receivers, put me down for it. We will save that for the next offseason as long as we draft Blackmon and pair him wiht harry Douglas, Meachem or Weems! But If we don't get Blackmon and one of those, I think we need to get one of those WRs. I do agree with Le'ron McClain, he is still underrated. He was fine after he had the big year, but people just underrated him after that. I think him paired with, rookie rb, jackson will be perfect, and we have the starting FB position covered!. If we can get all my pick ups I listed if it means we don't get one of those WRs in FA. I am fine with that!

I also agree with the SLB part. I just though after all those moves there will be minimal cap space and would be easier to resign Chamberlain and Poppinga then go after other UFAs. But then again Anthony Spencer might not be that expensive and could be a great fit

But thanks guys, exactly what I was afraid of. I definitely didn't take the salary cap into effect correctly. Seeing what I see now, it looks like we have 2 options:

-Get all the FAs I listed and Finnegan but not one of Colston/V-jax/Lloyd/Bowe
    -Get all the FAs I listed and Colston/Bowe but not Finnegan

Can't wait till we have a lot more space next year!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    But thanks guys, exactly what I was afraid of. I definitely didn't take the salary cap into effect correctly. Seeing what I see now, it looks like we have 2 options:

-Get all the FAs I listed and Finnegan but not one of Colston/V-jax/Lloyd/Bowe
    -Get all the FAs I listed and Colston/Bowe but not Finnegan

Can't wait till we have a lot more space next year!
    Reports say that Rams look to increase there cap space to about 30 mil, so maybe its not so far fetched as we might think, although Finnegan at 10 mil might make me queasy