throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My Own Best Picks in Rams History

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: My Own Best Picks in Rams History

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Why are you two always fighting each other?
    Reason vs JibberJabber

Do like to read your posts Barry but all of them start with I was....When I.....I met....I won....I shook hands....I was with <insert namedrop>.....In 1854 when I and you guys weren't even.....

Don't think you need that selfboasting. People around here will respect your opinion and views based on them alone.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

how did Jason Smith not make one of the final 2 lists?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

At the time, Jason Smith was a great pick at OT. It's not like the other tackles taken high have really lit the NFL up. In fact the top of that draft was pretty poor when it comes down to it.

In the end, Smith busted out because his motivation and dedication were lacking. Like Alex Barron, he was a basketball fan that ended up playing football.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Jason Smith was one of those picks I understood, especially seeing the need the Rams had.

It was not a great year for OT, at least at the very top of the draft, and in fact was a really weak year all over. The first round busts from that draft are quite numerous.

The concussion thing and other injuries were what ended Smith as a player.

The knock on Smith was how raw he was, how he kind of came out of no where, which should be a cautionary tale.

My own draft day take was that the Rams should definitely deal down, and then take a Mike Oher later but back then, due to the contracts those top three got, no one would deal squat to the Rams to move up.

If Barron would not have sucked it, Smith would never have been drafted by the Rams.
    Barry Waller

citr92 is offline Registered User

wait...so the rams PASSED on troy polamalu?

*saaaaad*

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Not sure if rates higher than your Top 10, but I always thought Tod Lyght was a very solid pick back in the early '90's.

Go Rams!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

1. Adam Archuleta - I've never understood why people rank him as a bust when in 2002 I doubt anyone would have considered his first 2 seasons busts. It was only after getting hurt that he fell apart.

2. Jason Smith was a project who was drafted to fill a need. This is why I'm against Robinson this year. Maybe Robinson works out and goes to multiple pro-bowls but he's a project at pass blocking. Now maybe Smith wouldn't be a bust if he'd stayed healthy. He had some scarey concussions, it wasn't motivation.

3. When the Rams drafted Steven Jackson, they didn't need a RB. They took an elite talent and barely used him. He only had 134 carries that first season.

4. Pickett was anything but a bust. He's still a starting DT for the Packers. How in the world is that a bust???

5. Robert Quinn again was an elite athlete they barely used year one. James Hall was the starter.

6. Leonard Little, he was a MLB at TN his senior year. Drafted and barely played before moving to DE when ready and needed. He had played DE earlier at TN so the Rams had a clue. Dude was obviously an athletic stud if you watched TN that year.

7. Jesse James was illiterate. That's drafting without taking the time to research your choices.

8. Dexter McCleon was a better than average CB. People hated him unfairly because everyone threw at him routinely because one of the greatest CBs in the game was on the other side. After he left, he did well in KC.

9. Jame Laurinaitis I remember a LOT of people wanted the guy from USC who went to the Bengals.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The knock on Smith was how raw he was, how he kind of came out of no where, which should be a cautionary tale.
    Barry, do you see any parallels between the top two tackles in this draft class and the top two tackles in that draft class?

I'm looking at Matthews and Robinson, and it looks like a case of one guy who is technically sound but perceived as having limited upside versus another guy who is raw with a lot of athletic potential and upside. Those same descriptions were used to describe the Eugene Monroe vs. Jason Smith debate.

That's not me saying that I think Robinson will bust, but I see some parallels there. I preferred Monroe at the time, so I guess it's no surprise I prefer Matthews now. But I was happy with Smith as well, just as I'd be happy with Robinson. Hopefully if Robinson is the pick, he works out better than Smith ultimately did.

Rawr is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Everyone had SJ as the top back that year, but when I mocked the Rams taking a RB in Round 1, you said I was crazy because we still had Faulk.
    There are certain exceptions to be made when a guy like SJ falls that far. Picking somebody like Kevin Jones wouldn't have been as sweet of a deal.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawr View Post

There are certain exceptions to be made when a guy like SJ falls that far. Picking somebody like Kevin Jones wouldn't have been as sweet of a deal.
    I never said anything about Jones.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    9. Jame Laurinaitis I remember a LOT of people wanted the guy from USC who went to the Bengals.
    I remember the debate. Rey Maualaga could hit, but couldn't read an offense. JL could read and offense and tackle, but would never light anyone up. I always wanted Laurinaitis, he should have been a first round draft pick and we got a steal at the top of the second. He would be in Pro Bowls if he wasn't in the same division/conference as NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis

I think the Rams got the better end of the deal.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Based on that theory, if Clowney were to absolutely dominate at the Combine would you consider drafting him at 2 if he's available?
    Let's assume we don't trade down and Mathews is the #1 pick of the 2014 draft by the Texans or whomever, should the Texans trade their pick. Should/would we draft Clowney? I know this is speculation but if Clowney is as good as reported do we pass and fill a need or in fact take the BPA?
    Clowney...

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I remember the debate. Rey Maualaga could hit, but couldn't read an offense. JL could read and offense and tackle, but would never light anyone up. I always wanted Laurinaitis, he should have been a first round draft pick and we got a steal at the top of the second. He would be in Pro Bowls if he wasn't in the same division/conference as NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis

I think the Rams got the better end of the deal.
    Agreed. Living in Columbus and watching him play each game through his career, I was beyond overjoyed when we drafted him. The Buckeyes very rarely have two year captains and he was one of them, so I knew we were getting a leader for our defense, which was something we really needed at the time. Plus I get to keep watching him each week!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Barry, do you see any parallels between the top two tackles in this draft class and the top two tackles in that draft class?

I'm looking at Matthews and Robinson, and it looks like a case of one guy who is technically sound but perceived as having limited upside versus another guy who is raw with a lot of athletic potential and upside. Those same descriptions were used to describe the Eugene Monroe vs. Jason Smith debate.

That's not me saying that I think Robinson will bust, but I see some parallels there. I preferred Monroe at the time, so I guess it's no surprise I prefer Matthews now. But I was happy with Smith as well, just as I'd be happy with Robinson. Hopefully if Robinson is the pick, he works out better than Smith ultimately did.

I'm in the same boat right now, and I preferred Monroe as well. Does anyone have an idea of how well he's actually doing? I know he was traded, but I couldn't tell if it was because of their new pick, or because he just wasn't living up to expectations?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with the tackles this year. The trend of comparisons like these is to find everything wrong with one (Matthews) and to focus on everything right with the other (Robinson). It happens every year and I'm predicting a late "surge" from Robinson to be the top tackle taken, but with Matthews ultimately going first come draft day. Then again, it's incredibly early and ignorant of me to do so, but that's the fun of this, right?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Let's assume we don't trade down and Mathews is the #1 pick of the 2014 draft by the Texans or whomever, should the Texans trade their pick. Should/would we draft Clowney? I know this is speculation but if Clowney is as good as reported do we pass and fill a need or in fact take the BPA?
    Clowney...
    If Matthews goes #1 and we can't trade out, then yea, assuming the front office feels the concerns of his lackluster moments from this past season are mitigated, I'd go with Clowney.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast