throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 Guest

My Rams first three Rounds

This is how I think it will happen ... Smack me if you will.

- Rams trade there second round pick to Baltimore for Ray Lewis.

- Rams trade there first round pick to San Diego for there first round pick (19th) overall and there second round pick:

- Rams with the 19th overall pick select CB Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech

- Rams with the 2nd round pick of San Diego trade that up along with our 4th round pick for Houstons 2nd round pick and we select LB Abdul Hodge Iowa

- Rams in the 3rd Round select TE Dominique Byrd USC

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: My Rams first three Rounds

Why would we want an aging linebackers contract eating up our cap space when we have so many holes to fill? Lewis is a great player, but that move doesn't make sense unless you're one or two players away from being a championship contender. We're not that close.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

While I'm not necessarily sold on the idea of trading for Ray Lewis at this point in his career, I'd disagree with the "we're not that close" statement.

Look at Seattle. They were a 9-7 team that lost to the Rams 3 times in 2004. They added guys like Lofa Tatupu, Bryce Fisher and Joe Jerevicius, and now they are in the Super Bowl.

I think the Rams are closer than you think.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

-Not a big fan of trading for Lewis. How many quality seasons does he have left? Not enough to justify the contract. Plus, we want a guy we can count on for years to come. I'm not even sure I could count on Lewis for the very next year.

-I don't think Jimmy Williams is available at 19th overall, but I could be wrong.

-Who does SD trade up to get? I'm not sure I see a player besides maybe an OT or a safety that they might trade up for, and I'm not sure there's one worth spending your first and second round pick to get.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Look at Seattle. They were a 9-7 team that lost to the Rams 3 times in 2004. They added guys like Lofa Tatupu, Bryce Fisher and Joe Jerevicius, and now they are in the Super Bowl.
    Um, Seattle added more than just Fisher and Tatupu. They also added...

-Chuck Darby
    -LeRoy Hill
    -Jamie Sharper
    -Kevin Bentley
    -Andre Dyson
    -Kelly Herndon

So that's, what, five new starters on defense with additional quality depth?

Also, going from a 9-7 playoff team to SB participant is a bit different from being a 6-10 mediocre team to SB participant.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-30-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

The greatest thing about the cap and the parity it generates is the ability to go from bad to great very quickly and vice versa. Look at the rams from 1998-1999.

A lot is lot, ie injuries, a lot is the nature of the game. So many games come down to one play here or there and sometimes you get more breaks than others. The playoffs themselves are frequently a crapshoot. The theory that the breaks even out over a course of a season isnt really true.

I think our offense can be dominant in the extreme and i dont think it takes all that much for us to have an average defense that can excel if the offense can score a lot of points.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

-Chuck Darby
    -LeRoy Hill
    -Jamie Sharper
    -Kevin Bentley
    -Andre Dyson
    -Kelly Herndon

So that's, what, five new starters on defense with additional quality depth?

Also, going from a 9-7 playoff team to SB participant is a bit different from being a 6-10 mediocre team to SB participant.
    Shaper played in only 8 games. Herndon played in 12. Bentley contributed all of 31 tackles all year. Darby had 30.

Not exactly impact players on the team.

Nobody said its easy to rise to the next level. But to say it can't happen in one offseason is to defy history.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Not exactly impact players on the team.
    Well, you never mentioned impact players in your post. You simply named two defensive guys they added. My point was it's not as simple as adding two guys and a receiver on offense, and that perhaps the Seahawks aren't a great example of a team missing just a piece or two of the championship puzzle since they actually added a number of pieces to their entire unit.

If you think Sharper's eight games are the only contributions he made, I dunno, I'd have to disagree. He's a valuable leader who has contributed to a very solid group of LBs. Every time I watch a Seahawks game, I see Chuck Darby making plays. Herndon and Dyson rotated in the line-up, but either way, whichever one isn't starting makes for a GREAT nickel back.

You can only argue stats so far. Chuck Darby's 30 tackles might not be pushing for tops in the league, but you'll hear his name in big spots when you watch the team play. That's more than we can really say about our two 30-tackle defensive linemen, Jimmy Kennedy and Damione Lewis.

Seattle might not have very many impact stars, but all of these guys play roles on this team and do it effectively. To try and measure what they've done on defense just in stats doesn't make much sense to me.

Besides, let's not forget that the one-year "turnaround" for Seattle was as big as our's from this year to next would have to be. In 2004, the Seahawks defense was 8th in ypg and 12th in ppg. This year, they actually allowed more yards per game on average (16th) but fewer points per game (7th). Offensively, they improved from 8th in ypg to 2nd, and from 12th in ppg to 1st. Our defensive unit is ranked 31st in ppg and 30th in ypg. I think it's safe to say we're going to need a bigger boost than Seattle showed this year to be competitive. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the difficulty of the task or what's going to be necessary shouldn't be underestimated.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-30-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

As I said, I'm not saying its easy, but teams can rise to the top based upon having players who might have underachieved or been injured suddenly come together as a unit. Teams usually don't rise to the top because they sign a bunch of star FAs.

The Rams have more talent on their roster than the typical 6-10 team, in my opinion. There are big holes to fill on the defense, but I think that, with a good draft and some smart FA signings, there could be some real improvement.

As for your use of the term "be competitive," I think that this roster, entirley unaltered, if well coached and healthy, could "be competitive."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

...Also, going from a 9-7 playoff team to SB participant is a bit different from being a 6-10 mediocre team to SB participant.
    They also got rid of that receiver (name escapes me at the minute) who was talented, but kept dropping the ball all the time. It made them less threatening, but more steady in the passing game. A good move if you ask me.

I'll also add that while we might not be far from the playoffs, I think we're a whole lot farther from being a team that can do damage in the playoffs. Its not out of reach, but a lot of things have to go right. Most of them couldn't go right if we sunk a ton of money into Lewis which was kind of my point in the first place.

Anyway... Nick and I have really derailed this thread.

Sorry about that.

Getting back to the first three rounds of the draft, I still think I'd to see the Rams just load up on young defenders.

Maybe something like:

First Round: Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
    Second Round: Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami (FL)
    Third Round: Darryl Tapp, DE, VaTech

I continue to harp on some talented guys we have on the defense who have a chance to contribute significantly. Maybe coaching will help, along with maturity.

Kennedy, bartell, hargrove. Health to butler and fisher. Development of groce. Leonard Little making it through an entire season without distraction.

I am not saying all these guys will come around, but if all or most of them improve, it will help an awful lot without adding a nickel to our current cap situation.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Hodgins Guest

koren robinson was the reciever they got rid of

and lewis is only 31 and although the surgery was season ending everyone says he should make a full recovery, I dont think some of you guys realize the impact a talent like lewis could have on our D, if anything baltimore would be stupid to give him away for a seacond rounder

Based on the way the rules work, i believe baltimore would have to take a signficant cap hit if they traded him, wouldnt the bonus accelarate?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rampage39 Guest

Talking Re: My Rams first three Rounds

my 3 rounds would be:
    1) michael huff (S)
    2) any one of abdul hodge(LB)/d'qwell jackson(LB)/manny lawson(DE)
    3) dominique byrd (TE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast