Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

TekeRam is offline Registered User

My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

I think we can all agree that our most pressing issues is our inability to keep our offense going and score, because of a lack of proven weapons and a "no" bowl level of talent on our offensive line.

There are two positions that help both of those issues and they are running back and tight end. We do need a new younger lead tailback, but he could be on the roster already in Richardson. We already have a starting tight end in Kendricks, but he's become more of a flex player, being put all over the field. He's like Hernandez in New England. We need a Gronk.

12 Personnel, one back, two tight ends, has become the new fad because of New England along side with the spread pistol this year with the Whiners and Redskins, among others. Having the two tight ends instill lets you run a base offense with good enough blocking, but it also allows you generally a faster player than a fullback is, and certainly a better catching threat.

As I already said, we have the flex player in Kendricks, what we need is a true matchup nightmare, someone who can stretch the field and is the ultimate of safety valves for Sam. Look at all the TE dominant teams in the playoffs this year: Baltimore, Indy, NE, Atl, SF(used to be...), Denver(Peyton says that Tamme's coverage dictates the offense), and even Cinci as the second receiver.

I'm willing to admit that unless Kendricks suddenly put it together forever at the end of the season, he's likely no better than a second string TE in a two TE offense. And Mulligan shouldn't be out there except in heavy packages. With one of Ertz or my preference, Eifert, we will have a pass game dominant player who helps us in all phases of the offense.

We can probably grab either one at #22, so we can use #16 to address Safety or the Offensive Line and go heavy at protecting Sam and creating an offense that can hold its own.
    Richbert88 and mde8352gorams like this.

I believe!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

Another option is Joseph Fauria from UCLA, I don't know how good of a blocker he is but he's tall, fast, has great hands, and runs pretty good routes. Unless he completely lights it up at the Combine (a possibility), he should be there in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Oh, I absolutely love Fauria, and if we don't grab one of the "E's," then I am willing to grab Fauria in the 2nd round if it looks like he won't last to our pick in the 3rd(possible). I think that a small trade down closer to the 2nd/3rd round barrier.

My only issue with Fauria is that he was not a volume production guy, though the 12 TD's this year for the Bruins(I am so sad to see him go) is just a good reason to go after him, given our issues in the red zone. I wonder if there are any college power forwards that are coming out and looking to play in the NFL. Gates and Gonzalez are two guys that just scream to me that we should have a scout looking at players who are great rebounders but not NBA material.
    I believe!

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Sam's strengths in Oklahoma was passing to a TE, if we can find someone who was reliable as Jermaine Gresham was for Sam, he would flourish as an NFL QB. My top choices would be Zach Ertz or Gavin Escobar. While Tyler Eifert is on debate with Ertz, his potential isn't that high since he has some troubles blocking.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams want to add a weapon to the passing game, I would not be surprised at all if it comes in the form of a tight end rather than one of these receivers. Depending on how they show this offseason in the pre-draft process, Eifert or Ertz could work themselves into the mix @ 22.

The question is whether Schotty has it in him to modify his offense to better feature two tight ends in a 12 package like some other teams in the league do. If you look at the numbers the offensive personnel put up in New York, there was minimal production from the second tight end for the most part. Was that a function of scheme, or personnel? I don't know.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I've looked around and everybody has Fauria slipping to the 5th or 6th round. I'd love to see Ertz or Eifert on this team, but a guy to look out for in rounds 3-4 is Gavin Escobar. 6'6 and a terrific receiver from San Diego State.

THE DREAM TEAM

@Flip: Escobar is a good option if we miss/don't go for Eifert. The reason why I'm less high on Ertz is that he's less of a receiver than Eifert, and I want a guy like Gonzalez who is a great receiver and an ok blocker. Kendricks will be our main blocker, 2nd TE option.

@Nick: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think Schotty can, he just hasn't had the personnel to do so. I have't gone and looked at rosters, but from what I remember, Keller was the only real receiver of the TE groups. The Jets ran a lot more 21 personnel as well, where we're moving that fullback around with Kendricks. Schotty was already doing that this year, as evidenced by us not even having a fullback on the roster. Don't consider this move a change for Kendricks' role, but rather getting Mulligan out of the game and keeping Kendricks in there.

@Sosa: I haven't looked at a ton of different sites, but I think TE's are becoming more of a desired position as we see running backs, and fullbacks especially, drop in value. These basketball style TE are changing the game downfield all over the NFL. On further reflection, I probably overstated how high Fauria is likely to go, but I expect him to be a top 6 TE, and in the first 3 rounds. Escobar will be round two... remember Kendricks and that TE in Minnesota went in round 2. Escobar is on that level at least. I need to look up more on him, but he fits my desired mold
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    @Flip: Escobar is a good option if we miss/don't go for Eifert. The reason why I'm less high on Ertz is that he's less of a receiver than Eifert, and I want a guy like Gonzalez who is a great receiver and an ok blocker. Kendricks will be our main blocker, 2nd TE option.

@Nick: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think Schotty can, he just hasn't had the personnel to do so. I have't gone and looked at rosters, but from what I remember, Keller was the only real receiver of the TE groups. The Jets ran a lot more 21 personnel as well, where we're moving that fullback around with Kendricks. Schotty was already doing that this year, as evidenced by us not even having a fullback on the roster. Don't consider this move a change for Kendricks' role, but rather getting Mulligan out of the game and keeping Kendricks in there.

@Sosa: I haven't looked at a ton of different sites, but I think TE's are becoming more of a desired position as we see running backs, and fullbacks especially, drop in value. These basketball style TE are changing the game downfield all over the NFL. On further reflection, I probably overstated how high Fauria is likely to go, but I expect him to be a top 6 TE, and in the first 3 rounds. Escobar will be round two... remember Kendricks and that TE in Minnesota went in round 2. Escobar is on that level at least. I need to look up more on him, but he fits my desired mold
    This draft is a great draft to need a receiving TE. I think Ertz is the best TE in the draft, but Eifert is a 1st round talent as well. Both of those guys I believe can be dominant in the NFL. Not to mention in later rounds you can still find guys like Escobar and Fauria who are also 6'6+.
    TekeRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think your spot on TekeRam the way you have laid it out. Watching the Pats yesterday without Gronkowski they kind of looked like us. They where struggling to really get going on offense.

If Sam can hit Amendola in the seam route, I would think he could find Eifert at will. I really like the way you compared Hernandez to Kendricks.

I think you could take a guy like Eifert and create mismatches all day. He could line up outside, in the slot and at the end of the line.

The Rams have to be smart here, if they can't land a big time WR in FA and there is no blue chip WR that can come in day one. Then why not get the best thing going a BIG target at TE.

Look what the 9ers did yesterday with Davis, he was the difference not the WR or the option QB IMO.

I would love to see them take Eifert.
    Richbert88 and mde8352gorams like this.

BTW Kendricks is nothing like Hernandez. Hernandez is 100% a pure pass catching TE, he cant block if his life depended on it. Sure, he lines up all over the place, but thats all they have in common (Well Hernandez lines up outside the numbers, slot, in-line, and even at FB and HB, while Kendricks only lines up as H-Back, and in the slot). Kendricks is not a very good receiver, whereas he is a terrific blocker.

Kendricks and Hernandez are opposites, but I do agree we need a "gronk". I'd be happy with Eifert, Ertz, or even Escobar.
    Judaxi likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Real good read on what's possible "The PBP: Lance Kendricks and the modern 2-TE passing game.

The PBP: Lance Kendricks and the modern 2-TE passing game - Turf Show Times

As Nick said not sure if Schotty has it in him. Man I hope he does.

Sorry about the link lots of videos and plays to look at.
    TekeRam likes this.

ludairv is offline Registered User

This TE in the first is utter CRAP... who in the NFL(top 5 te's) were drafted in the First? their are no vernon davis' in this draft( 1st rd) . Gronk, graham and hernandez were drafted in later rounds... Their is no freak TE in this draft. theirs no way the rams take a TE in the first this year. There's a better chance of Adele becoming skinny then that happening...
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-23-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    This TE in the first is utter CRAP... who in the league , is in the top 5 TE's? their are no vernon davis' in this draft, gronk, graham and hernandez were drafted in later rounds... Their is no freak TE in this draft. theirs no way the rams take a TE in the first this year. There's a better chance of Adele becoming skinny then that happening...
    Yes, there is a freak TE in this draft, matter of fact there is two. I am convinced you haven't watched a drop of any of the TE's in this draft. When was the last time you heard a TE so dominant he was pegged as a top 5 or top 10 pick? And for your info Adele is skinny..

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    This TE in the first is utter CRAP... who in the league , is in the top 5 TE's? their are no vernon davis' in this draft, gronk, graham and hernandez were drafted in later rounds... Their is no freak TE in this draft. theirs no way the rams take a TE in the first this year. There's a better chance of Adele becoming skinny then that happening...
    Is there a TE who, like Vernon Davis, is such an elite athlete that he would merit being taken in the top 10 picks? No.

Is there a TE who might be worth a look at No. 22. Maybe.

I think Eifert and possibly Ertz are at least worth being in the discussion.

So, if Vegas will take the action, I'll go with the Rams taking Eifert at No. 22 over Adele becoming skinny.

ludairv, the one consistent thing that people are saying about this draft is that it is NOT a top heavy draft. There are not really any superstars in this draft. No Luck's, no RG3's, no superstar skill position players. This is a meat and potatoes draft.

So, as Av said, no, there aren't any freak athletes playing TE that look worthy of a top 10 pick. And as you noted, Gronk and Hernandez were "later round" picks(2nd and 4th, to be precise). Without superstars up top, those quality 2nd rounders, like Gronk, get pushed up into the later third of the 1st round. Right into where we could be drafting Ertz or Eifert if they come on in the combine and pre-draft workouts.

TE gives us a massive value add where it adresses multiple concerns with one pick. Don't be surprised.
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.
    I believe!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast