Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    This is a meat and potatoes draft.
    TE gives us a massive value add where it adresses multiple concerns with one pick. Don't be surprised.
    I couldn't agree more regarding value. Surrounding Sam with more "weapons" isn't relegated to the wide receiver position. In this "meat & potatoes draft, I will be thrilled if we can come away with another starter on the O-line, and a playmaking tight end. I don't care which rounds the Rams use to get them as long as we get them. It is likely we will select a safety or two and a linebacker as well, so unless we have access to how the Rams stack their board on draft day, I won't venture any guesses as to which round we get our TE. Wherever we select our new TE, I just hope he can contribute quicker than Quick ..

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think a TE that can be dominant is a crucial missing piece to this offense. Someone who can convert those 3rd and mediums and keep drives alive, someone that keeps defenses honest, someone that makes defenses cover the middle of the field with their LB's or S's (HUGE mismatches). I think if we add a true TE, improve the depth of our WR's, and add an HB (Unless SJ is back), as well as fix the offensive line a tad bit, we can be a serious playoff race.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

After this thread was started i had a dream we got Jared Cook in FA. I woke up during the night thinking it really happened, and when got up in the morning had to check if it somehow really happened lol. My dream was obviously wrong.

I really hope we can get Eifert or Ertz, its a piece we are missing IMO.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    After this thread was started i had a dream we got Jared Cook in FA. I woke up during the night thinking it really happened, and when got up in the morning had to check if it somehow really happened lol. My dream was obviously wrong.

I really hope we can get Eifert or Ertz, its a piece we are missing IMO.
    That is not the most impossible dream as Jared Cook could become this year's Courtland Finnigan; a player Jeff Fisher coached in Tennessee whom he wants to bring with him to St. Louis. I've seen that possibility written elsewhere. I agree with the notion of getting either Ertz or Eifert in the draft.

Go Rams!

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    That is not the most impossible dream as Jared Cook could become this year's Courtland Finnigan; a player Jeff Fisher coached in Tennessee whom he wants to bring with him to St. Louis. I've seen that possibility written elsewhere. I agree with the notion of getting either Ertz or Eifert in the draft.

Go Rams!
    I read somewhere that the Titans were thinking of giving Cook the "Franchise Tag"... I sure hope that's not the case

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I read somewhere that the Titans were thinking of giving Cook the "Franchise Tag"... I sure hope that's not the case
    When Rotoworld linked to this article, they pointed out that Kuharsky is a former Titans beat writer. So there may be a bit more perspective here than a typical ESPN write up...

On Cook's perspective on Titans' changes
    January, 15, 2013
    Jan 15
    By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

The Titans failed to maximize Jared Cookís talents in 2012, and it was one of many disappointing storylines.

Among all the players in the offensive meeting room, he may have had the hardest time understanding what coordinator Chris Palmer was trying to do, and that was at least a small part of the reason that Palmer was fired with five games left.

Cook is a dynamic player, but he can still be about potential as much as production. While heís progressed, heís still not guaranteed to show up in the right spot on a route. And he is not a great blocker. Pro Football Focus is not the end-all, be-all of judging performance, but they rated Cook the 34th-most productive tight end, behind a guy like New Englandís Michael Hoomanawanui, who got most of his playing time because of injuries to Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

Iím sympathetic to Cookís cause. And I appreciate his willingness to speak out.

But Iím not sure his latest comments are on point.

Heís puzzled by Mike Munchakís staff moves, particularly the firing of his tight ends coach, John Zernhelt.

ďI am very surprised at that, very surprised," he told Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean. ďI just donít understand that move. Point blank. Period. Coach Z was a great run-blocking coach and he really explained the run game, and he really broke things down to where you could really understand things better.

ďAnd he was great in the development of all of us. I just donít get why you would want to let a guy like that go.Ē

I think Zernhelt is a good coach.

But Cook should understand why Zernhelt was let go. In fact, he should understand that heís a big part of why Zernhelt was let go.

Cook has elite tight end talent but he didnít blossom into an elite tight end under Zernheltís tutelage. If Cook wanted to ensure Zernheltís job security, he could have done better work for him. If Zernhelt really explained the run game, then why wasn't Cook better in the run game?

Is it unreasonable that Munchak could have looked at Cook and Craig Stevens and thought his tight ends had hit a ceiling that wasnít high enough? If thatís the case, isnít it appropriate for him to go find someone who can raise it?

Cookís heading for free agency and I fully expect him to get a franchise tag. Then, playing for a new coach, perhaps heíll finally get closer to the peak the team imagines for him.

That could earn him the increased playing time and bigger role in the passing game he craves, and a lot of money.

I admire his loyalty. But his perspective probably isnít the best one on this move.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think one major point is being overlooked in the new pass happy NFL.

I think this is very important if S.Jax retires.

I believe that most QBs that aren't very good at scrambling, running, and creating with feet...I.E. Manning, Brady, Bradford, Ryan, Rivers...

All are heavily dependant on a pass catching TE or as a backup (a pass catching Running Back) -- but more so TE.

Guys like Newton, RGIII, Rodgers etc....can buy time for a Wide Receiver to get open (post-route) or they could always pick up a first down with legs.

Also, you have to have a OC that will line the TE up outside inside, standing up, in stance..etc...

schotty isn't known to be most "risk taking" hopefully he can open it up this season.

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Yes, there is a freak TE in this draft, matter of fact there is two. I am convinced you haven't watched a drop of any of the TE's in this draft. When was the last time you heard a TE so dominant he was pegged as a top 5 or top 10 pick? And for your info Adele is skinny..
    and you havent studied shottenhiemers offenses, yes they have 2 te. but their predominantly used as In-line blockers. your going to draft an inline blocker in rd 1? scratch that, draft a Te at 16 or 22? above all the other great prospects?

Yes, there is a freak TE in this draft, matter of fact there is two. I am convinced you haven't watched a drop of any of the TE's in this draft. When was the last time you heard a TE so dominant he was pegged as a top 5 or top 10 pick? And for your info Adele is skinny..
    *who in the nfl top 5 TE's were drafted in the first round??? besides Vernon. who was a freak

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    and you havent studied shottenhiemers offenses, yes they have 2 te. but their predominantly used as In-line blockers. your going to draft an inline blocker in rd 1? scratch that, draft a Te at 16 or 22? above all the other great prospects?
    Have you studied the Jets use of the TE?

Dustin Keller numbers with Schotty...

2010 55 catches 100 TGTS 687 yards 5 TD
    2011 65 catches 116 TGTS 816 yards 5 TD

Yes they did have the three TE set jumbo package to run the ball. But to say they are use as blocker is just not true. In two years Keller was thrown at 216 times.

I think in his first year he had to keep LK in more then he would liked.. he started using him more in the passing game after the O line starters got back.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

*who in the nfl top 5 TE's were drafted in the first round??? besides Vernon. who was a freak
    Couldn't care less where the best were drafted.. Why should that have any impact on my grades? For every Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez there is 10 Fendi Onobuns.

Gronk was a 1st round talent but had severe injury issues, and apparently still does. The difference is that this year the TE prospects are so much better than in previous years so they will be drafted higher. You want one, you get one. I like Ertz and Eifert, and I wouldn't shy away from spending a 1st rounder on either of them. They'd be awesome in Schotty's system.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Have you studied the Jets use of the TE?

Dustin Keller numbers with Schotty...

2010 55 catches 100 TGTS 687 yards 5 TD
    2011 65 catches 116 TGTS 816 yards 5 TD

Yes they did have the three TE set jumbo package to run the ball. But to say they are use as blocker is just not true. In two years Keller was thrown at 216 times.

I think in his first year he had to keep LK in more then he would liked.. he started using him more in the passing game after the O line starters got back.
    ya and we already have that kind of type of TE with Kendricks who shotty has spoken highly of. Shotty's system uses 2 TE's, an athletic " run up the field kind", and an inline blocker i.e mulligan. Iv read that the rams have interviewed with Alabama's Mike Williams at the senior bowl, who is the best blocking TE coming out in this draft, and he fits that mold. IMO if they take a TE it will be a mainly blocking one.
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-24-2013 at 03:15 PM.

This is going to happen, we already have our down seem TE with kendricks. The other TE would be an inline blocker in shottys system
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-24-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Couldn't care less where the best were drafted.. Why should that have any impact on my grades? For every Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez there is 10 Fendi Onobuns.

Gronk was a 1st round talent but had severe injury issues, and apparently still does. The difference is that this year the TE prospects are so much better than in previous years so they will be drafted higher. You want one, you get one. I like Ertz and Eifert, and I wouldn't shy away from spending a 1st rounder on either of them. They'd be awesome in Schotty's system.
    because it shows you that you can find value at TE in ANY ROUND, especially if you have a good coaching staff and scouting staff LIKE WE DO. Besides the first is a crucial round to hit on an Elite Prospect. I believe the thread says "Why i believe we'd draft a TE in the FIRST ROUND".
    With the vast talent on the Defensive side and Wr pos in this draft , it wouldnt make sense to take a TE in the first loll. IMO a TE prospect has to be pretty special to be taken in the first. Look at any team in the league that has taken a TE in the first, (they dont have to be top 10 TE in the NFL btw) , and you can see that most of them have made very little impact.

With that said, i think our excellent coaching staff and excellent scouting department we can FIND a later round guy, coach him, and make him effective for our team. Thats what the best teams in the league do...

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

ya and we already have that kind of type of TE with Kendricks who shotty has spoken highly of. Shotty's system uses 2 TE's, an athletic " run up the field kind", and an inline blocker i.e mulligan. Iv read that the rams have interviewed with Alabama's Mike Williams, who is the best blocking TE coming out in this draft, and he fits that mold. IMO if they take a TE it will be a mainly blocking one.
    Kendricks is nowhere near the athlete or receiver that Dustin Keller is, but he's definitely a better blocker. In fact I'd consider Kendricks one of the better blocking TE's in the NFL, a little behind Jason Witten, Gronkowski, and Vernon Davis. Also, Kendricks is more of a smaller H-back type TE... what the Rams need is a tall, pass-catching TE who creates mismatches. A player like Eiffert or Ertz would be a perfect complement to Lance, or maybe even someone like Fauria from UCLA.
    Last edited by Vinnie25; -01-24-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast