Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

  1. #31
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    because it shows you that you can find value at TE in ANY ROUND, especially if you have a good coaching staff and scouting staff LIKE WE DO. Besides the first is a crucial round to hit on an Elite Prospect. I believe the thread says "Why i believe we'd draft a TE in the FIRST ROUND".
    With the vast talent on the Defensive side and Wr pos in this draft , it wouldnt make sense to take a TE in the first loll. IMO a TE prospect has to be pretty special to be taken in the first. Look at any team in the league that has taken a TE in the first, (they dont have to be top 10 TE in the NFL btw) , and you can see that most of them have made very little impact.

    With that said, i think our excellent coaching staff and excellent scouting department we can FIND a later round guy, coach him, and make him effective for our team. Thats what the best teams in the league do...
    Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Does that mean that we overpaid for Bradford? Brady shows that there is all pro QB talent in ANY ROUND. Hell, Tony Romo wasn't even drafted. Why draft a QB at all?

    The WR talent is actually rather piss poor in this draft. You're thinking 2014. There will most likely be as many TE's taken in the 1st round as wide receivers.

    You're correct about the defensive talent, however, and I strongly suggest that we take Vaccaro who's a top safety prospect at 16 if the value still holds up. Right now mocks have him as a top 20 pick. That addresses the weak spot of our defense.

    It does make sense to grab a TE in the first round if you need one and he fills out multiple need boxes. Which one does. Further more, the value is very possible to be there, because of the lack of top quality "skills position" players. You don't need to find an elite talent in the first round. You need to not find a bust.

    You can find any position at any round. At #22, it looks possible that there will be value for a couple of TE. One that can help us both in the run and pass game. Would you rather an overrated OT or an OG?

    I believe!

  2. #32
    MoStateRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Okay copying the ***** and Redskins is not something the Rams would want to do. The premise of the OP was to get another TE so the Rams would have the personnel to run a spread pistol look. But this would absolutely NOT work in St. Louis because 1) Sam Bradford is not the running threat at QB that RGIII or Colin Kaepernick are and 2) the ***** and Redskins fit unique blocking schemes into those offenses.

    You say that with two TEs in the Rams would have "good enough" blocking, right? Well you're wrong because "good enough" blocking isn't what makes the ***** and Skins offenses go. On one hand, you've got Mike Shanahan, who has been turning average RBs into Pro Bowlers since Terrell Davis. And on the other, there's Jim Harbaugh, who uses his TEs in blocking schemes unlike any other team in the NFL.

    tl;dr: THE RAMS DON'T NEED A FIRST ROUND TE!

  3. #33
    ludairv's Avatar
    ludairv is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Does that mean that we overpaid for Bradford? Brady shows that there is all pro QB talent in ANY ROUND. Hell, Tony Romo wasn't even drafted. Why draft a QB at all?

    The WR talent is actually rather piss poor in this draft. You're thinking 2014. There will most likely be as many TE's taken in the 1st round as wide receivers
    .

    You're correct about the defensive talent, however, and I strongly suggest that we take Vaccaro who's a top safety prospect at 16 if the value still holds up. Right now mocks have him as a top 20 pick. That addresses the weak spot of our defense.

    It does make sense to grab a TE in the first round if you need one and he fills out multiple need boxes. Which one does. Further more, the value is very possible to be there, because of the lack of top quality "skills position" players. You don't need to find an elite talent in the first round. You need to not find a bust.

    You can find any position at any round. At #22, it looks possible that there will be value for a couple of TE. One that can help us both in the run and pass game. Would you rather an overrated OT or an OG?
    Now you basing your premise on the assumption that all skill positions have equal (hit/miss) ratios? a First rd TE vs a First rd Qb? apple and oranges buddy. sure the rams need a TE, but that tight end would have to be an in-line blocking type tight end like Williams out of Bama (i.e mulligan) becuz we have the stretch, and up seem TE already here with Kendricks ( who shotty has shown praise for).

  4. #34
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by MoStateRam View Post
    Okay copying the ***** and Redskins is not something the Rams would want to do. The premise of the OP was to get another TE so the Rams would have the personnel to run a spread pistol look. But this would absolutely NOT work in St. Louis because 1) Sam Bradford is not the running threat at QB that RGIII or Colin Kaepernick are and 2) the ***** and Redskins fit unique blocking schemes into those offenses.

    You say that with two TEs in the Rams would have "good enough" blocking, right? Well you're wrong because "good enough" blocking isn't what makes the ***** and Skins offenses go. On one hand, you've got Mike Shanahan, who has been turning average RBs into Pro Bowlers since Terrell Davis. And on the other, there's Jim Harbaugh, who uses his TEs in blocking schemes unlike any other team in the NFL.

    tl;dr: THE RAMS DON'T NEED A FIRST ROUND TE!
    Um, dude... I have no idea what you're talking about. I am the OP and have no clue where you got that from.

    I want a 1st round TE to create a two TE offense like the Patriots or the Broncos, among other teams. Bradford is definitely not a running quarterback, nor do I want to copy the Skins or the Whiners. I don't know what OP you actually read.

    Kendricks has already been used as a flex player, playing at the end of the line and in the backfield as a full back. He's shown that he has solid blockingskills all the way back to Wisconsin where he played a similar style offense where they moved him around.

    I want a 2nd starting TE who will dominate the pass game. Kendricks is starting to come on, but I want a dominant mismatch to compliement his skill. I want a Jimmy Graham, a Tony Gonzalez, a Gronkowski. I wouldn't touch a zone read offense with a ten foot pole. So in that case, we have a perfect agreement, our offense would not work that way.

    However, now that you hopefully understand that I never suggested any of that, I can go back and say that we should look at the 1st round TE because TE's allow us extreme flexibility to get blocking for Sam to complete passes. We can run spread offenses where we can pick apart nickel defenses with the run game(we have 2TE for run blocking) or go up and over them(with tall TE and Quick) or pass against larger base defense sets that can't cover our TE's. A new big reliable target also softens the blow against losing Amendola if that happens. That is why we should look at embracing the 2TE base offense.

    Oh, and Sam ran a 2TE offense pretty successfully at Oklahoma... maybe we could draw upon that offense a bit.
    I believe!

  5. #35
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    Now you basing your premise on the assumption that all skill positions have equal (hit/miss) ratios? a First rd TE vs a First rd Qb? apple and oranges buddy. sure the rams need a TE, but that tight end would have to be an in-line blocking type tight end like Williams out of Bama (i.e mulligan) becuz we have the stretch, and up seem TE already here with Kendricks ( who shotty has shown praise for).
    No, I was making a point. And the point is and always will be, any position can find value in any round. Offensive Guards are typically the lowest paid players on a team because the are basically just huge guys that take up space. Now there's Warmack from Alabama. Are you saying that he's not worth a first round pick?

    Why does the TE need to be a huge inline blocker TE? Where is the Mulligan type TE in the Patriots offense? There isn't one. They have TE's that are dynamic, fast, and pass catchers. They are good enough blockers as well, but they are top flight receivers. That is what I am suggesting we do, considering that we have two offensive starters in Jackson and Amendola that are very possibly not coming back. I'm not looking at replacing Kendricks, and not suggesting that he shouldn't start. In fact, I'm looking at a possible starting 5 as: Givens, Eifert, Kendricks, Quick/FA, Rookie/FA/Richardson.

    Even if you don't think that there is value at TE in the 20's, plenty of people do, including NFL experts and teams.
    I believe!

  6. #36
    ludairv's Avatar
    ludairv is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    No, I was making a point. And 1. the point is and always will be, any position can find value in any round. Offensive Guards are typically the lowest paid players on a team because the are basically just huge guys that take up space. Now there's Warmack from Alabama. Are you saying that he's not worth a first round pick?

    2. Why does the TE need to be a huge inline blocker TE? Where is the Mulligan type TE in the Patriots offense? There isn't one. They have TE's that are dynamic, fast, and pass catchers. They are good enough blockers as well, but they are top flight receivers. That is what I am suggesting we do, considering that we have two offensive starters in Jackson and Amendola that are very possibly not coming back. I'm not looking at replacing Kendricks, and not suggesting that he shouldn't start. In fact, I'm looking at a possible starting 5 as: Givens, Eifert, Kendricks, Quick/FA, Rookie/FA/Richardson.

    Even if you don't think that there is value at TE in the 20's, plenty of people do, including NFL experts and teams.
    1.) When you have a good coaching staff, that is correct. But it depends on the viewer. (beauty is in the eye of the beholder). We have a coaching staff what are great teachers, and developers. We saw it this year with our makeshift offensive line.

    2.) The offense the rams run isnt even remotely close to the patriots, in terms of personell, and play calling... Just because the patriots use that philosophy with their TE's doesnt meant Shotty does. Their coaching/play calling philosophy's are vastly different in terms of personell and player responsibility... Please do some info diggin on Shotty's Air coryell offense and Belichicks Erdhart-Perkins Offense...

    3.) For the Rams IMO that isn't good value...(with their offensive philosophy in mind)


    *All 32 teams have different preferences and player rankings and draft boards because all teams are tailored differently . Just because mocks say this and that about players and rankings doesnt make it universal truth loll .Every year they're terribly wrong, except for the first 5-8 picks, which are obvious to predict most of the time because their blue chip prospects.
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.

  7. #37
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,502
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    1.) When you have a good coaching staff, that is correct. But it depends on the viewer. (beauty is in the eye of the beholder). We have a coaching staff what are great teachers, and developers. We saw it this year with our makeshift offensive line.

    2.) The offense the rams run isnt even remotely close to the patriots, in terms of personell, and play calling... Just because the patriots use that philosophy with their TE's doesnt meant Shotty does. Their coaching/play calling philosophy's are vastly different in terms of personell and player responsibility... Please do some info diggin on Shotty's Air coryell offense and Belichicks Erdhart-Perkins Offense...

    3.) For the Rams IMO that isn't good value...(with their offensive philosophy in mind)


    *All 32 teams have different preferences and player rankings and draft boards because all teams are tailored differently . Just because mocks say this and that about players and rankings doesnt make it universal truth loll .Every year they're terribly wrong, except for the first 5-8 picks, which are obvious to predict most of the time because their blue chip prospects.
    Our offensive line coach is one of the best in the league and is known for getting the best out of his players (Boudreau). Do you know who our TE coach is? Yeah, lets just say he isn't a "great teacher and developer".

    Our offense doesn't matter. YOU TAILOR YOUR OFFENSE TO YOUR PLAYERS. If you have WR's that run 4.2's you're going to allow them to run their deep routes and work stretching the field. If your WR's are slow possession guys, your going to run slants and medium routes. Great coaches adapt to their players, not the other way around. YOU are responsible for putting YOUR players in a position to succeed. So if we land a talented TE, its Schottys job to design plays where the TE has his specific routes. What you are saying is "Yeah Schotty doesn't know how to use WR's, so we don't need them"... Untrue.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  8. #38
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,628
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    I always find it interesting how people have strong views on what we will do in a particular round at this point in the process. Until we see what happens in free agency, both with our own guys and with those on other teams, it is speculative in the extreme to determine what we will do. Our needs appear obvious, and yet, if we fill needs in free agency, or lose certain guys, there can be a material impact on what we do in the draft. Thus, any opinion at this point should be tempered with "depending on what happens between now and the draft."

    One other point. Movement in mock drafts does NOT indicate that a player is moving up or down. It reflects the views of the guy doing the mock draft, an "expert" i might add that will not be drafting for any nfl team. In addition, teams rate players differently. Information that comes out of particular teams is disinformation, not the leaking of confidential player analysis in almost all cases. THe only people that know who is moving up and down a draft board are the teams themselves, and none of them really know what the other teams are going to do. This explains why for all the mock drafts done every year, and there are tons of them, all with multiple moving around versions, they are rarely very accurate at all.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  9. #39
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    All I know is that there is a better chance of finding an impact TE in the 1st round than there is of finding an impact Safety or WR. Looking at all the mock drafts, Eiffert and Ertz always seem to go in the first round, yet most of the good WR's and Safety's tend to rotate between the 1st and 2nd rounds (due to their being no can't-miss prospects at those positions). Granted, all that could change once the combine happens, but for now I want the Rams to go OL and TE in the 1st round, and pick up the best available TE or Safety in the 2nd round.

  10. #40
    ludairv's Avatar
    ludairv is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Our offensive line coach is one of the best in the league and is known for getting the best out of his players (Boudreau). Do you know who our TE coach is? Yeah, lets just say he isn't a "great teacher and developer".

    Our offense doesn't matter. YOU TAILOR YOUR OFFENSE TO YOUR PLAYERS. If you have WR's that run 4.2's you're going to allow them to run their deep routes and work stretching the field. If your WR's are slow possession guys, your going to run slants and medium routes. Great coaches adapt to their players, not the other way around. YOU are responsible for putting YOUR players in a position to succeed. 1. So if we land a talented TE, its Schottys job to design plays where the TE has his specific routes. What you are saying is 2."Yeah Schotty doesn't know how to use WR's, so we don't need them"... Untrue.
    1. Your still basing this on a premise that they'll rank this hypothetical TE you imagine at nearly the top of their list...Wrong. Yes your right, youv got to adjust to your players especially when your new to the job and the players dont necessarily fit your personell preference ( a la Josh mcdaniells...who sucked at this btw). However as time goes on, and draft come and go, you find players you believe can be important to your gameplan.
    2. Now your putting words in my mouth, i never said that or made a point even close to that. Bottom line, coaches have preferences and schemes that they like to run. In the beginning of their tenure, sure they have to adapt to the players, but as time goes on, you bring in players to fit what you want to do efficiently and effectivily. Shottys got his dustin keller TE in this offense in Kendricks, who hes shown praise for (you can google it) and shotty's also examined him with a keen eye in the draft. So you can safely assume that TE pos. is safe, and the backup spot needs to b upgraded with complimentary In-line blocking type TE as is required in shottys TE sets.Your discounting the fact that shotty will have any input on who the Rams draft...

    *your assuming that the rams front office value chart, is the same as some of the "experts"rankings you've been viewing. Wrong.
    I get it though, this is your opinion,and your preference for the rams, i respect that lol I'm on the Dline/Safety in the first rd Bandwagon...
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-27-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: -10-04-2011, 09:58 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: -04-13-2010, 09:54 PM
  3. The REAL reason Draft was released ...
    By RamsInfiniti in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -09-20-2009, 10:17 AM
  4. Three Round Mock Draft
    By Weddle in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: -04-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •