schut39 is offline Registered User

My St. Louis Rams 2009 Mock Draft

Alright, I have decided to make a 2009 mock draft for our Rams. Although I do not know much about the later picks in the draft, I will base my selections off of our biggest needs and the projected rounds that the players are supposed to go in.

It is pretty early to tell right now, but this is what I think is most likely to happen. I am basing this off the fact that I think we will sign James Butler (SS) from the Giants and Jason Brown (C) from the Ravens. Here it goes:

1st Round: Eugene Monroe - OT

Andre Smith has been said to have trouble in pass protection. I haven't heard many bad things about Monroe. He can be a good pass blocker and run blocker. Despite his 23 bench press reps, I think he will be one of the safest picks at the lineman position.

2nd Round: Clint Sintim - MLB

One of our biggest needs is at MLB since we are most likely moving Will Witherspoon to the outside linebacker position this offseason. Clint Sintim is mainly an OLB, but I believe that he is big enough and fast enough to play MLB. He is a big guy at around 250 pounds, but runs a 4.7 40 yard dash which is decent for a linebacker. I think he would be a good pick up in the 2nd round.

3rd Round: Mike Mickens - CB

Although Mickens has had problems with his knee I think he will be a good corner in the NFL and a good fit for the Rams. He ran a low 40 time of 4.42 which is a decent speed for a cornerback. He has good closing speed and awareness, but lacks some toughness.

4th Round: Vance Walker - DT

The Rams deffinately need some help on the interior defensive line. Carriker is slightly small for a defensive tackle after we moved him from defensive end and I think that Cliff Ryan isn't starter material, but would make an excellent back up.

5th Round:
    Arian Foster - RB

Steven Jackson has been getting injured alot recently, but hopefully next season will have less injuries. In case there happens to be another injury or SJ just needs a break, we should have a good back up running back at the ready. Arian Foster doesn't have blazing speed, but he is a good all around back. He suffered a knee injury in his senior season, but will still be considered a good runner and a player that can contribute to the passing game as well.

6th Round:
    Chase Daniel - QB

In my opinion, Marc Bulger is still a good QB can be very accurate when given time. When it comes to our back up QB's though, it isn't so great. Trent Green is getting old and Brock Berlin is only a decent back up. Chase Daniel would be a good QB to use as a full time back up for Bulger.

7th Round:
    Tim Jamison - DE

Leonard Little is getting old and will need to be replaced soon. Our only players to back up our DE's are James Hall and Victor Adeyanju. Who knows how long James Hall will be around for though. Tim Jamison is listed at 265 pounds, but has the frame to add on a few more pounds. He could be a decent back up for Long or Little.

That is currently my 2009 mock draft. Please leave some feedback and tell me what you think. Be polite though about if I made any mistakes or if you believe a player should be higher or lower in the draft. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I thought I would also post what I think will be the whole roster at the beginning of the 2009 season if we draft the people I thought we would. This is just to give you an idea of the talent on the roster.

OFFENSE

QB - Marc Bulger, Chase Daniel, Brock Berlin
    RB - Steven Jackson, Arian Foster, Kenneth Darby
    FB - Brian Leonard/Daniel Fells
    WR - Torry Holt, Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, Drew Bennett, Derek Stanley, Dane Looker
    TE - Randy McMichael, Joe Klopfenstein, Daniel Fells
    OT - Orlando Pace, Eugene Monroe, Alex Barron, John Greco
    OG - Jacob Bell, John Greco, Richie Incognito, Roy Scheuning
    C - Jason Brown, Brett Romberg

DEFENSE

DE - Leonard Little, Chris Long, James Hall, Victor Adeyanju, Tim Jamison
    DT - Adam Carriker, Vance Walker, Cliff Ryan
    SLB - Will Witherspoon, Quinton Culberson
    MLB - Clint Sintim, Chris Draft, Gary Stills
    WLB - Pisa Tinoisamoa, Chris Chamberlain
    CB - Ron Bartell, Justin King, Mike Mickens, Tye Hill, Ricky Manning Jr., Jason Craft
    FS - Oshiomogho Atogwe, Eric Bassey
    SS - James Butler, Todd Johnson

SPECIAL TEAMS

P - Donnie Jones
    K - Josh Brown
    Kick Return - Derek Stanley/unknown
    Punt Return - Derek Stanley/unknown

If you ask me, I would say that is a great roster full of guys with lots of talent. I am expecting a turnaround next year whether it is a major one or a slight one. Any turnaround will be better than 2-14.
    Last edited by schut39; -02-22-2009 at 01:52 AM.

djdeeznutz Guest

Re: My St. Louis Rams 2009 Mock Draft

Honestly it needs some work:

I dont think we will have the money for Jason Brown but instead we take Channing Crowder who will fit in well at MLB. Here's how i see it:

We get Colin Cole at NT, James Butler at SS, and Channing Crowder at MLB. We re-sign Bartell and Adeyanju (spags DL subs)

Round 1: Eugene Monroe OT:
    He faced better competition than J. Smith in college and he is the safer pick.

Round 2: Clint Sintim SLB:
    Witherspoon is not a SLB he is a WLB. Sintim will not transition well to MLB cuz he sux in pass coverage but he is extremly good in rushing the QB block shedding. We can also use him to sub with Little on the LE spot.

Round 3: Eric Wood C:
    The Rams need a big Center that could plug up the middle and help Action Jackson down the middle. Wood is big 6-4 309 pounds. And he is athletic enough to get to the 2nd level and get blocks down. Or we can take Johnothan Luigs in the 3rd he also is a Center 6-4 315 pounds however he is not too good in the run game.

Round 4: Rhett Bomar QB:
    Trent Greeen will probably retire so we need a capable #2 guy behind Bulger. We take Bomar or Nate Davis whoever is better come draft time.

Round 5: Kevin Barnes CB:
    This pick could be either a CB or an OG. With the way our OL has been getting injured i wouldnt be surprised if we take a guard like Tyrone Greene who can step up and be a leader. But Barnes would be a steal here. a 6-1 Cb with good speed and good at coverage.

Round 6: Devin Moore RB:
    People may disagree with me on this one but it would be great. We can run a 3 RB system with S-jax, Leonard, Moore. Moore is 5-10 and is extremly fast. He can also return kicks. He is quick and has a nasty juke move that will make corners miss. Is the exact opposite of S-Jax so we can use him like the Giants did with Bradshaw (also a late rounder).

Round 7: Quinn Johnson FB:
    In the 7th round there is not much value anywhere except K, P, Long snapper, FB. So lets take a lead blocking FB that S-Jax has missed. Leonard is not good at being full back so here is our chance to take a big quinn Johnson out of USC.

QB: Marc Bulger
    back-ups: Rhett Bomar, Brock Berlin

HB: Action Jackson
    back-ups: Brian Leonard, Devin Moore, Kenny Darby
    FB: Quinn Johnson

WR#1: Torry Holt
    backups: Keenan Burton, Dane Looker, Derek Stanley
    WR#2: Donnie Avery
    backups: Drew bennet (slot), Keenan Burton, Derek Stanley
    TE: Randy McMicheal
    back-ups: Anthony Bech (we need a blocking TE), Daniel Fells

LT: Orlando Pace
    backups: Alex Barron, Alex Goldberg
    LG: Jacob Bell
    backups: Mark Setterstrom, Roy Scheillung (spell check)
    C: Eric Wood
    backups: Nick Leckey, Mark Setterstrom (drop romberg)
    RG: John Greco
    backups: Roy schuilling, Mark Setterstrom
    RT: Eugene Monroe
    backups: Alex Barron, John Grecco

LE: Leonard Little
    backups: Clint Sintim, Victon Adeyanju, Eric Moore
    NT: Cliff Ryan
    backups: Colin Cole
    UT: Adam Carricker (spell check)
    backups: Colin Cole, Willie Williams
    RE: Chris Long
    backups: Adeyanju, Eric Moore

SLB: Clint Sintim
    backups: Quinn Culberson, Chris Chamberlain
    MLB: Channing Crowder
    backups: spoon, David Vabora
    WLB: Will Spoon (drop pisa)
    backups: Chris Chamberlain, Quinn Culberson

CB#1: Ron Bartell
    backups: Justin King, Ricky Manning JR (re-sign), John Wade
    CB#2: Tye Hill
    backups: Kevin Barnes, John Wade, Rickey Manning JR

SS: James Butler
    backups: Todd Johnson
    FS: OJ Atogwe
    backups: Eric Bassey

K: Josh Brown
    P: Donnie Jones
    KR: Derek Stanley, Devin Moore
    PR: Derek Stanley

*the back-up DL will be very important to Spags substitution schemes*

Make tweaks to mine if you dont like.
    Last edited by djdeeznutz; -02-22-2009 at 01:19 PM.

quebecramsfan is offline Registered User

Good work, probably one the best mock i have seen but i dont think Butler is the best answer at the SS.

Spoon isn't a SLB? I really thought he was. Why would we move him to the weak side though because we got Pisa there. And I also considered taking a full back in the late rounds because Steven Jackson did say that he wanted a good starting FB that was meant for the position. I do realize I need to make some tweaks, but it is pretty hard to make an accurate mock draft this early before you see combine results.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Spoon isn't a SLB? I really thought he was. Why would we move him to the weak side though because we got Pisa there. And I also considered taking a full back in the late rounds because Steven Jackson did say that he wanted a good starting FB that was meant for the position. I do realize I need to make some tweaks, but it is pretty hard to make an accurate mock draft this early before you see combine results.
    It is hard to make an accurate mock draft right now. Maybe yours is better but im just givin my opinion.

If we cut Pisa (i know he is a good Ram) we save over 1 mil. And Spoon is a WLB from his Carolina days. Pisa cannot covert to SLB cuz he is not strong enough to play there.

However we might get trade vale for pisa maybe a 6th rounder.

RedArcher7 Guest

Love the Mike Mickens pick. You put anyone from Cincinnati or Notre Dame in a draft and I love it. Biggest knock on Mickens is his small frame, it's 6-0 190. Bulking up won't hurt. Best player in the Cincy D-backfield every year he's been there.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    It is hard to make an accurate mock draft right now. Maybe yours is better but im just givin my opinion.

If we cut Pisa (i know he is a good Ram) we save over 1 mil. And Spoon is a WLB from his Carolina days. Pisa cannot covert to SLB cuz he is not strong enough to play there.

However we might get trade vale for pisa maybe a 6th rounder.
    I have read that Spoon had played every linebacker position throughout his college and pro career. He may not be the best SLB, but maybe he could still play it. I thought the Rams said they were planning on moving him to the strong side. Did they really say the weak side?

EDIT: Nevermind I just read it. What are we going to do with pisa?
    Last edited by schut39; -02-22-2009 at 01:36 PM.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    I have read that Spoon had played every linebacker position throughout his college and pro career. He may not be the best SLB, but maybe he could still play it. I thought the Rams said they were planning on moving him to the strong side. Did they really say the weak side?

EDIT: Nevermind I just read it. What are we going to do with pisa?
    Cut pisa or trade him. We might get a draft pick from it.

Mooselini Guest

I'm glad to see some people agree with me that Monroe is the pick!

Good mock!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I'm glad to see some people agree with me that Monroe is the pick!

Good mock!
    Yes I believe that Monroe is a solid lineman well worth the pick. But currently I am split between Aaron Curry and Monroe, but I am leaning towards Monroe.