Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: My Steal of the Draft

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

My Steal of the Draft

My steal of the draft is RB Christine Michael out of Texas A&M. He fell out of favour this past year and landed in his coaches doghouse. He had some immaturity issues. He also had an injury (I believe broken leg).

Michael stands 5'11, 220 lbs. In 2011, Michael had 149 attempts, 899 yards, and 8 TD's (6.0 avg). In 2012 he had 88 attempts, 417 yards, and 12 TD's (4.7 avg). I believe had he been given a full workload to operate with in 2012 he would be the top back in the nation.

Christine Michael was top 3 in the combine for all RB's in these departments: Bench press (27), vertical (43.0 inches, highest EVER for an RB at the combine), broad jump (125 inches), 3 cone drill (6.69 seconds), and the 20 yard shuttle (4.02 seconds). He also ran a 4.54 forty yard dash.

Michael seems to be past those immaturity issues. He is a very powerful runner. Michael has an excellent spin move and a great stiff arm. He runs with a great centre of gravity and is extremely hard to take down. Rarely do you ever see him get taken down by the first guy. He also has an unreal burst through the hole, and seems to have a second gear when he hits the open field.

Michael led the East-West Shrine game (lead all rushers):

Here is an interview of Michael (in which he seems to be a lot more mature):

And last but not least, here is the animal in action:

Most project Michael to go anywhere from round 2 - round 4/5. I think he will land right in round 3 or 4. I would absolutely take a chance on him in the 3rd or 4th. He has the ability to be a featured back, he is a good pass protector, the only place he hasn't proven is coming out of the backfield (though we do have 2 good receiving backs).

THE DREAM TEAM

Re: My Steal of the Draft

Man was it a mistake or what passing on this guy. Showing HUGE potential thru 2 pre-season games.

Game 1: 16 carries, 89 yards
    Game 2: 11 carries, 97 yards, 1 TD

Now I know this is 2 PRE-SEASON games in, but gosh he looks amazing. What a huge mistake.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

How would you have modified our draft? Remember, we did not have a second round pick.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Michael was on just about everyone's radar as a potential 2nd/3rd day pick by the Rams, so will your back-patting extend beyond yourself?

But more importantly, I'm also curious as to how the Rams made a huge mistake by passing on him.

As Av said, it's not like the Rams had a selection in the second round and passed on Michael. They didn't have a second round pick after trading up for Austin, which you said was the best pick the organization has made in five or more years.

So how exactly did the organization make a huge mistake? What should they have done differently?
    Last edited by Nick; -08-24-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Michael was on just about everyone's radar as a potential 2nd/3rd day pick by the Rams, so will your back-patting extend beyond yourself?

But more importantly, I'm also curious as to how the Rams made a huge mistake by passing on him.

As Av said, it's not like the Rams had a selection in the second round and passed on Michael. They didn't have a second round pick after trading up for Austin, which you said was the best pick the organization has made in five or more years.

So how exactly did the organization make a huge mistake? What should they have done differently?
    Firstly, where did I ever pat myself on the back? I did not say "Yeah I told you" or "I knew it" or mention anything of the such anywhere here...

And secondly you do whatever you can to acquire him. We did have two 3rd round picks, as well as two 7th round picks.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -08-24-2013 at 02:54 PM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

Firstly, where did I ever pat myself on the back? I did not say "Yeah I told you" or "I knew it" or mention anything of the such anywhere here...

And secondly you do whatever you can to acquire him. We did have two 3rd round picks, as well as two 7th round picks.
    You're right, there's nothing self-congratulatory about topping a thread from four months ago that no one responded to in order to say how amazing the guy you labeled your steal of the draft is doing.

But to get back on point, sacrificing two third round picks probably could have gotten it done, but an already questionable situation at safety would be even more of a mystery and, selfishly, I wouldn't want to get rid of Bailey.

That's an awful lot to give up to add a guy to what we already knew would be a committee situation, but we'll see if Michael proves through the year that he would have been worth it.

You're right, there's nothing self-congratulatory about topping a thread from four months ago that no one responded to in order to say how amazing the guy you labeled your steal of the draft is doing.

But to get back on point, sacrificing two third round picks probably could have gotten it done, but an already questionable situation at safety would be even more of a mystery and, selfishly, I wouldn't want to get rid of Bailey.

That's an awful lot to give up to add a guy to what we already knew would be a committee situation, but we'll see if Michael proves through the year that he would have been worth it.
    Maybe he will be worth it maybe he won't. As it is right now I don't think I would re-do our draft but I still would have loved to see Michael in a Rams uni. I didn't think he would have went in round 2, more likely round 3 but that didn't happen.

Either way I'm pleased and I hope we have an RB that will step up big time (hopefully DRich because he's on my fantasy team).
    Nick likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Maybe he will be worth it maybe he won't. As it is right now I don't think I would re-do our draft but I still would have loved to see Michael in a Rams uni. I didn't think he would have went in round 2, more likely round 3 but that didn't happen.

Either way I'm pleased and I hope we have an RB that will step up big time (hopefully DRich because he's on my fantasy team).
    I hope Richardson does well for your team's sake, then. The Rams' situation in the backfield is one of a few I'm staying away from this fantasy season, just because I'm really not sure what the distribution is going to ultimately end up being.

I hope Richardson does well for your team's sake, then. The Rams' situation in the backfield is one of a few I'm staying away from this fantasy season, just because I'm really not sure what the distribution is going to ultimately end up being.
    Typically I would be the same way, but it was a value pick. I did also get Mark Ingram in the later rounds so he's my security.

THE DREAM TEAM