Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sauceman

Thread: My take on the offseason

Sauceman is offline Registered User

My take on the offseason

With some pretty big changes in store for the Rams, I wanted to give my input on our 'ideal offseason'. Note that I'm not a scout and I'm not an expert, I'm just a fan who's been around for a while and really wants to see the Rams turn the corner and get back to contention. Please feel free to add comments and questions. I'm open for a discussion.

Also note that, while the names may change as we get closer to the draft, the needs stay the same. This is obviously early for a rough idea of the draft, but I'm excited for the trade and first round that I've added.

Notable offseason changes -

Saffold signs elsewhere (I would love to keep him, but I don't see him staying)
    Wells / Dahl released for cap space (Lets start building our OL of the future and save some space)
    Finnegan deal restructured (Fisher is loyal. I'd like to see him gone, but I see him with us next year)
    Alterraun Verner signed (Again, Fisher is loyal and he's going to give Williams the tools to open his game plan up)

NFL Draft

Big Trade!

ATL Receives #2 overall to draft Clowney. It's very possible he goes #1, but Texans also need a QB. If he's there at 2, I see the Falcons making a move on the best pure prospect in the draft at a position they need an upgrade at.

STL Receives #6, #37, and a 2015 2nd round selection.

1.6 - OLB - Khalil Mack [The biggest change to my board. Khalil Mack ist starting to look more and more appealing and I feel like, as with the Alterraun Verner signing, Fisher is going to give Williams the tools. This guy rounds out what could be the best front seven in a division built on the running game.]

1.13 - WR - Mike Evans [The Rams are build for speed and deception at WR. I believe this offense needs another legitimate deep ball threat and a guy that can win jump balls. At 6'5'', Evans gives Sammy another tool in his "prove it" year.]

2.5 - FS - Ed Reynolds [With the addition of Alterraun Verner, the Rams are a safety away from a huge secondary improvement from a year ago. There may be some injury concerns, and if either Clinton-Dix or Pryor are available here, I'd go with them, but Reynolds is the best available prosect in one huge position of need.]

2.12 - OG - Gabe Jackson [The Rams are in desperate need for interior offensive linemen. If there wasn't extreme value upgrades in earlier rounds, I'd be all for BPA on the OL earlier, but Jackson provides a great prospect to fill one of the G spots (yeah...that happened).

3.11 - C - Weston Richburg [Projected as a second or third rounder, so he may not be available. From what little I've read, he seems to be a smart and tough kid. He also started all 49 games in college, so he's durable.]

4.10 - DT - Justin Ellis [DT Depth with a big bodied run-stopper. We've got tons of pass rushers that can rotate. This guy gives us a 340 pounder to help free our backers to make plays when he's in.]

5.13 - RB/CB/OL - [Best player available with the focus on depth for the positions listed.]

6.12 - RB/CB/OL - [Best player available with the focus on depth for the positions listed.]

7.11 - RB/CB/OL - [Best player available with the focus on depth for the positions listed.]

What we miss out on:
    - An elite OT prospect in the top 10 picks.
    - Jadaveon Clowney (Bullet dodged, in my opinion. I'm very against tinkering with what works just based on pure potential.)

What we get:
    - An elite linebacker to complete our young and talented group.
    - A top WR prosect that changes the mold of what we already have established, opening the playbook for Sam.
    - Pieces to what could easily be a Top 3-5 defense under Gregg Williams.
    - Great second day prospects for Boudreau to work with to help re-build one of the Rams weakest positions in the last few years.

A small note:
    Aside from our first round, where I have very specific players selected, players are really interchangeable based on how our front office feels. I'd like to keep the positions in rounds 2-4 roughly the same, because they are based off of needs, but who am I to say one player is better than another when all I'm basing them off of is write-ups and youtube videos

Potential roster/depth:

QB - Bradford
    RB - Stacy, Cunningham
    FB - Harkey
    WR - Evans*, Austin, Givens, Bailey, Pettis/Quick
    TE - Cook, Kendricks
    LT - Long, Depth
    LG - Smith/Jackson*, Depth
    C - Richburg*, Depth
    RG - Jackson*/Smith, Depth
    RT - Barksdale, Depth

DE1 - Quinn, Hayes
    DE2 - Long, Hayes
    DT - Brockers, Langford, Ellis*
    OLB1 - Ogletree, Armstrong
    OLB2 - Mack*, Dunbar(?)
    MLB - Laurinaitis
    FS - Reynolds*, Depth
    SS - McDonald, Depth
    CB - Verner, Jehnson, Jenkins, Finnegan

* = New
    (?) = If he's around

Taking a look at that, the biggest question mark is our safety play, but with a second rounder to invest in an upgrade at FS, I'd trust our front office to make the right choice. It's also the 'weakest' proposed option to upgrade our offensive line, which may end up to be a bad move halfway through the season. This is really banking on Jake Long making a return and Barksdale filling the RT as well as he did this year, along with Rookies playing up to snuff. I'd be interested in some more F/A activity to help shore this aspect up as well.
    Last edited by Sauceman; -02-22-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    a.p.quinn likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: My take on the offseason

I love your draft, but I highly doubt the Rams would restructure Finny's contract just to have him play as our 4th corner, especially with Mack most likely staying on the field on 3rd downs.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I love your draft, but I highly doubt the Rams would restructure Finny's contract just to have him play as our 4th corner, especially with Mack most likely staying on the field on 3rd downs.
    If we can get Verner signed, I'd much rather build the CB's with him and our two current starters (Jenkins/Johnson), but I also see Fisher staying loyal to Finnegan. If that's the case, he can't possibly make the money he does.

That being said, maybe he comes back to 2012 form and we can run Verner/Finnegan, with a pretty solid rotation at Nickle and depth when needed. If this happened, we would turn a weakness to a strength.

chiguy is offline Registered User

We won't spend our first pick on an OLB who will sit half the time (or, have Ogletree sit half the time). I especially don't see it given that there are highly rated players at positions of need still available.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

The Rams are going after Saffold as a GUARD, and your mock, even with all those picks, IGNORES the O-line, as far as first year starting type talents.

You even have then passing on OLT if Saffold is gone.

That would be nuts.

Have you been watching the top three OT today? Especially compared to those after the top 4?

Mack would be a situational pass rusher here. Also, he won't get past Tampa Bay at pick 5.
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

My perfect off -season;

You re-sign Saffold to play RG.
    You cut Dahl, keep Wells, maybe at a lower cap number
    You sign a veteran starting FS as your top FA, maybe a short term deal kind of older guy.
    You bring back Finnegan as the slot DB, with a $6-$8 million a year pay cut.
    You re-sign Dunbar and Williams at low cap numbers.
    You sign a big, physical Boldin type veteran WR
    You re-sign Kellen Clemens at a low cap number.

You trade pick 2 to Atlanta to add second rounders the next two drafts.

You draft Robinson or Matthews at #6, then trade back from 13 to about 20, adding another mid second rounder.

At 20 you take a top DB or WR, then look for a guard, a receiver or DB, and a LB in round two.

Round 3-7, where you could still have 8 picks with supplemental picks, you look for QB, OL, DT, LB, and DB, and maybe a big back.
    Barry Waller

svh01 is offline Registered User

IF we resign Saffold, I wouldn't mind picking Watkins with our 1st pick (I think we trade with Cleveland or Atl if Clowney is available) and hopefully Lewan is available at 13. We can pick up an OG and safety in RD 2; if we get a 2nd pick from the trade.

Resigning Saffold (& Williams) is the key.