Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,543
    Rep Power
    167

    My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    Premise #1: The Rams are not seriously considering taking Mark Sanchez at pick #2 and are showing interest in him to potentially entice a trade-up or to cover their bases in case they move down a few spots.

    Premise #2: The two QBs the Rams are actually targeting are Rhett Bomar and Tom Brandstater.

    Theory: Up until Round 5, the Rams will select one of the two QBs they are targeting with their first pick after the first of the two is selected. In other words, if one goes in Round 2, the Rams will take the other in Round 3. If one goes in Round 3, the Rams will take the other in Round 4. Once they get to Round 5, if both are still there, they'll take one, rather than waiting until Round 6.

    Of course, if both are selected in the same round before the Rams have a chance to take one, they probably have Plan C to take someone else (my bet would be Nate Davis from Ball State) in Round 5-7.


  2. #2
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,075
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    Good theory. Just for theory's sake, who do you think will go first? Bomar or Brandstater?

  3. #3
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,665
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    i like what im hearing, except the fact that Nate Davis from Ball State is your Plan C
    reports of him having a learning difficulty and only scoring an 11 on the wonderlic scare me

    however, if those reports have been released by the Rams to push him down to past the fifth round so they can grab the QB they want with a 6th round pick, then im all for it!!

  4. #4
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,543
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Good theory. Just for theory's sake, who do you think will go first? Bomar or Brandstater?
    I prefer Brandstater. I think the Rams may very well prefer Brandstater.

    However... I think Bomar will be selected (by another team) before Brandstater. My guess is he goes in Round 3 and the Rams pull the trigger on Brandstater in Round 4 (though they'd prefer to wait until Round 5).

  5. #5
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,075
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I prefer Brandstater. I think the Rams may very well prefer Brandstater.

    However... I think Bomar will be selected (by another team) before Brandstater. My guess is he goes in Round 3 and the Rams pull the trigger on Brandstater in Round 4 (though they'd prefer to wait until Round 5).
    Yea, I also think that Bomar could go in the third, considering there's a major drop off of talent after Stafford and Sanchez. Freeman will close the first round, and Pat White could be the only QB drafted in the second. So teams that want a QB will have to start looking at second/third-tier QBs in the third and fourth.

  6. #6
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    Stephen McGee has moved ahead of Bomar in some peoples mind. I think the Rams ideal scenario would be to get one of those 2 guys in the third. Bomar was more productive and is more accurate, but his character may come into question

  7. #7
    jerseyramsfan's Avatar
    jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    Rather see them skip on picking a QB this year. Too much talent coming next year....

  8. #8
    Bald_81's Avatar
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    25
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    I think you are absolutely right. The Rams invited Sanchez, Freeman (who didn't show), Bomar, and Brandstater in for pre-draft visits. They didn't invite Stafford. Why? Well, let me start by saying Stafford is the one usually associated going #1 to Detroit. This tells me even if the Lions passed on him, the Rams wouldn't think twice. Sanchez and Freeman are both options in trade back situations like you mentioned, meaning I don't think they are even thinking about a QB at #2. Good analysis there, Av.

    My only problem is if we don't take one of Stafford, Sanchez or Freeman, I'd like to not draft a QB altogether and rather just fill our other needs. My reasoning is that if Bulger has another sub par season, we will surely consider cutting him and therefore make QB a huge need for the 2010 draft. After drafting one this year, I'm afraid it'll give us an excuse not to take a possible franchise QB high and potentially make a big mistake. I'd rather enter with Bulger, Boller and Berlin for '09 and then resolve the QB position entirely next year. Also, a guy like Brandstater who is turning 25 doesn't exactly scream "future developmental QB" to me. By the time he (if) develops, he would be around 28. That would be a one and done contract for him and we could see ourselves in the same situation with him that we are with Bulger. That's just my opinion.

  9. #9
    jerseyramsfan's Avatar
    jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My theory on when the Rams will take a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I think you are absolutely right. The Rams invited Sanchez, Freeman (who didn't show), Bomar, and Brandstater in for pre-draft visits. They didn't invite Stafford. Why? Well, let me start by saying Stafford is the one usually associated going #1 to Detroit. This tells me even if the Lions passed on him, the Rams wouldn't think twice. Sanchez and Freeman are both options in trade back situations like you mentioned, meaning I don't think they are even thinking about a QB at #2. Good analysis there, Av.

    My only problem is if we don't take one of Stafford, Sanchez or Freeman, I'd like to not draft a QB altogether and rather just fill our other needs. My reasoning is that if Bulger has another sub par season, we will surely consider cutting him and therefore make QB a huge need for the 2010 draft. After drafting one this year, I'm afraid it'll give us an excuse not to take a possible franchise QB high and potentially make a big mistake. I'd rather enter with Bulger, Boller and Berlin for '09 and then resolve the QB position entirely next year. Also, a guy like Brandstater who is turning 25 doesn't exactly scream "future developmental QB" to me. By the time he (if) develops, he would be around 28. That would be a one and done contract for him and we could see ourselves in the same situation with him that we are with Bulger. That's just my opinion.
    Well said my friend....

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Trivia - Share What You Know
    By AlphaRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: -11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
  2. Nick’s Mailbag for Feb. 4, 2009
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -02-07-2009, 01:57 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Live, October 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
  4. PaRamFan48 Chistmas '99
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -03-18-2006, 11:18 PM
  5. Rams History
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -02-08-2006, 03:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •