Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: My Thoughts on Michael Sam

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: My Thoughts on Michael Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Magic Johnson got AIDS, and as far as I know, he is straight. he got it by being so promiscuous, he was trying to catch Wilt Chamberlain.
    Magic Johnson was diagnosed with HIV, not AIDS. They are not the same (though one requires the other in order to form).

As to the focus of your post, it seemed to me that you were juxtaposing lifestyle variances as being identifiably equal between people of all manners of orientation, and I think you're right.

Ok, that's it. I've got no earth shattering comment. Just thought I'd clear up the whole HIV/AIDS thing, since Magic would be saddened to hear Barry Waller gave him AIDS.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Like I said in the other thread, this kid is going to get used and abused by the media, the story he thought he made his own, he just handed over to the media. I hope, I really hope, that he does well and goes to a team that will shield him from the outside circus.

I think he has potential as a rotational guy for the Rams, if we were to add depth to the defensive line then that is where I would look for it. Otherwise...no interest.

As for the rest of this thread...I think a lot of people are making a bunch of noise about very little. The word Homophobia is a word that one should be careful with, too many people seem eager to throw it out at anyone that disagrees with their opinion and I find that disturbing...it also has the effect of entirely shutting down debate. You may disagree with someone who has a problem with homosexuality, but it is their right to express that problem, just as it is your right to counter argue it. Calling someone a child or old man because of their own moral ideals is not the right way to go about this either in public or on this forum. Invalid opinions are easily countered. Wording like what I have read in this thread is no better than what was used on the other side in the other thread.

As for the football player. I hope he's good, I like Mizzou and having some Mizzou players in the NFL that don't suck at their job would be nice.
    RamDez, RealRam and r8rh8rmike like this.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

RealRam is online now Registered User

Excellent post Wing.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    The word Homophobia is a word that one should be careful with, too many people seem eager to throw it out at anyone that disagrees with their opinion and I find that disturbing...it also has the effect of entirely shutting down debate.
    Exactly. I'm all for live and let live, not live and you must follow in lockstep with a prescriptive way of thinking, or you're a homophobe.

As far as Sam, he deserves a shot at the NFL based on his merits as a player, regardless of his sexuality, period.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I agree. I know almost nothing about the guy (other than the obvious) and I find that particularly frustrating. I'd like to see an NFL.com article that told me something new about him.
    citr92 likes this.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Mikey is offline Registered User

I agree. I know almost nothing about the guy (other than the obvious) and I find that particularly frustrating. I'd like to see an NFL.com article that told me something new about him.
    I'd like an article that talked about the player and didn't feel the need to remind us for the millionth time in the last few days that he is gay. Most football fans don't care if you're gay or not, they do care if you can play or not though.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Exactly. I'm all for live and let live, not live and you must follow in lockstep with a prescriptive way of thinking, or you're a homophobe.

As far as Sam, he deserves a shot at the NFL based on his merits as a player, regardless of his sexuality, period.
    not to mention how the words "homophobe," and "homophobia" when referring to...dislike of people who like the same gender

...it doesn't make sense...a phobia is a FEAR...maybe they ARE scared of them, or of themselves

but it's not when someone shows dislike or hatred of people like michael sam...that's just stupid lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'd like an article that talked about the player and didn't feel the need to remind us for the millionth time in the last few days that he is gay. Most football fans don't care if you're gay or not, they do care if you can play or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing
    I'd like to see an NFL.com article that told me something new about him.
    Quite the impossible, I'd say. The media loves these types of stories, they'll exploit them to the max. If MS is drafted, and chances are very good he will be drafted, his story will continue till the end of the season and beyond. Akin to the Tiger Woods' situation of the past few years: even when losing in a Pro Tour, or has lost already, HE is often the center of attention because of who he is and what he's done in his personal life.

Sensationalism at its best.

Just imagine "the news" when the first openly transvestite approaches pro football as an undrafted FA -- an is accepted by an NFL team. The guy is so popular that he's even sent to the Pro-Bowl. Interviews galore, product endorsements and TV commercials big time; big boost to business. [He also sings well so, further down the road, this retired player is even invited to perform the national anthem at the Super Bowl -- dressed in his special gala gown.]

Then little by little, fans may "care" more about what these show-stopper individuals are personally and not really so much whether they can play or not.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-12-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Wink

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Just imagine "the news" when the first openly transvestite approaches pro football as an undrafted FA -- an is accepted by an NFL team. The guy is so popular that he's even sent to the Pro-Bowl. Interviews galore, product endorsements and TV commercials big time; a boost to business. [He also sings well so, further down the road, this retired player even performs the national anthem at the Super Bowl -- dressed in his special gala gown.]

Then little by little, fans will "care" if these show-stopper individuals are what they are personally and really not so much whether they can play or not.
    This is complete and utter nonsense. The media and its desire for "stories" does not control NFL rosters. If it did, Tim Tebow would be playing in the NFL, rather than doing commercials and color commentary for college football telecasts.

While you might not like the media coverage, Michael Sam's story is newsworthy.
    ramsbruce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

While you might not like the media coverage, Michael Sam's story is newsworthy.
    LOL! Oh, I didn't say I did not "like" the MS story ...I just point to the fact that it is, by nature of journalism, quite sensationalist and ubiquitous!

Sample of modern day media reporting, the sensationalist type, that is.

Recommended: FF from 12:31 to 14:31.

From here on, I'm anticipating that if Michael Sam enters stage right instead of left -- that will be news. If he leaves a big tip at Golden Corral -- that will be news. If he signs his autograph on a teenager girl's breast -- that will be BIG news.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-12-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Correct video link

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Excellent post Wing.
    I just want to point out that this statement by Brokenwing quoted below is actually directed at you RealRam. Wing is saying some of what you said yesterday is no better than some things said today in the original post.

Wording like what I have read in this thread is no better than what was used on the other side in the other thread.
    The definition of homophobia is as follows;

noun: homophobia
    1. an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

In my opinion there was definitely an extreme and at times irrational aversion to homosexuality in the other thread. Not Michael Sam, nor anyone deserves to be treated that way. It's fine to disagree, I have no problem with that. It's in the way that some disagree, where I have the problem.

M.Sam doesn't deserve to be dropped from team's draft boards just because he is gay. He is just another football player trying to make a pro career for himself, and he should be treated and talked about as such.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -02-12-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Another "duh" for the obvious! Yes, I know thaaaat Ramsbruce.

Suffice it to clarify my personal stance on all this MS / SM (= silly mess), even as stated yesterday.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Another "duh" for the obvious! Yes, I know thaaaat Ramsbruce.

Suffice it to clarify my personal stance on all this MS / SM (= silly mess), even as stated yesterday.
    I'm not sure how obvious it really is to you, but imo it's more than a "silly mess".

Anyways, I'm glad everyone understands where everyone is coming from now.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Curly Horns is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post

who cares

i really don't know what to say other than i'm extremely disappointed in those who even think for a SECOND about it possibly being a bad thing
    First and foremost - God cares! And God says it's a bad thing. To this day it is still a sin. And sin put simply is the absence of God. Yes we are all sinners, therefore I give thanks for God's mercy and I pray in the name of our redeemer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast