tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

My thoughts on top 11 of the draft as of now

A few things have popped up on KFFL that could very well change things as far as the Rams first round pick goes.

First:
    Rams | Team visits with G. Jackson
    Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:53:02 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports free agent DT Grady Jackson (Packers) paid a visit to the St. Louis Rams Monday, April 24. Contract negotiations could take place later this week.

Second:
    Jets | Rumor alert: NFL Draft trade
    Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:46:30 -0700

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports one rumor making the rounds has the New York Jets (No. 4) swapping their first-round pick with the Oakland Raiders (No. 7), who want a quarterback. The Jets then select Oregon DT Haloti Ngata with the seventh pick. The Jets don't have a pure nose tackle for their new 3-4 scheme.

Now with the Rams maybe bringing in Grady Jackson, the need for a big run stuffing DT is filled. Yes Jackson is old, but he is more then capable of stopping the run, and would allow the Rams to fill the other holes on the defense through the draft. Also, the trade between the Jets and Raiders would change things, especially if Haloti Ngata is off the board at 7 which is earlier then most people would think. This would change the top 7 into this (in my opinion):

1) Texans - Reggie Bush
    2) Saints - D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    3) Titans - Matt Leinart
    4) Raiders - Vince Young
    5) Packers - Mario Williams
    6) ***** - Vernon Davis
    7) Jets - Haloti Ngata

This puts AJ Hawk and Micheal Huff into range for the Rams to trade up and grab them. If this happens, i think the Rams will be on the phone to the Bills very quickly. Another possibility is that the Jets trade down again, because Ngata is likely available at 11, so the Rams could easily move up to 7.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: My thoughts on top 11 of the draft as of now

I like your thinking lets hope you are right

So do I, if after saturday i can buy a Rams Jersey with the name Hawk or Huff on the back i will be overwhelmed.

I believe that Hawk can singlehandedly change this defense into a very very good unit. He would improve the Rams LB corps into one of the best in the league.

Huff would be the elite player in the secondary that the Rams have been looking for. I think he would play corner for the Rams, and could very easily shut down an entire side of the field.

However, as i have said before, i think improving the front seven is more important then the secondary, just because pressure on the QB gives him less time to throw, which means the DBs have to cover the receivers for a shorter amount of time.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Great post, TH. I was just about to start a new thread about the Jets/Raiders rumor. One thing to consider though is how the Saints could screw things up. For instance, the consensus opinion is that no one is buying into Jammal Brown at LT, and that the Saints will take Ferguson. However, if the Saints take Mario Williams, do the Packers not select AJ Hawk at fifth overall? They really don't have a need for Ferguson. That's the only real cog I can see in the play. If Hawk or Huff are available at eight, I'd lose a third rounder to move up and take either in a heartbeat.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Great post, TH. I was just about to start a new thread about the Jets/Raiders rumor. One thing to consider though is how the Saints could screw things up. For instance, the consensus opinion is that no one is buying into Jammal Brown at LT, and that the Saints will take Ferguson. However, if the Saints take Mario Williams, do the Packers not select AJ Hawk at fifth overall? They really don't have a need for Ferguson. That's the only real cog I can see in the play. If Hawk or Huff are available at eight, I'd lose a third rounder to move up and take either in a heartbeat.
    That was something i was considering, as was whether the Niners would pass up Hawk for Davis.

I think that although Mario Williams is a playmaker, the Saints already have a very good pair of DEs in Charles Grant and Will Smith. There has been talk of moving Grant inside, but i dont see it. Grabbing Ferguson and pairing him with Jamaal Brown instantly makes a very good OL, one which the Saints need to protect Brees and open holes for McAllister.

Another thing I was considering is that Green Bay moves up in the draft to second and grabs Williams, who is a playmaker that any defense would love to have. They move up just to ensure they grab him. Then the Saints at 5 take Vernon Davis, who would be Drew Brees' new Antonio Gates. Sean Payton knows what its like for a QB, and will give Brees as many weapons as humanly possible. Then SF would take Ferguson, providing Alex Smith with the good protection a young QB needs and would love.

I forgot to mention, the Jets passing up on Hawk and Huff for Ngata is very believeable. Eric Mangini was in NE with Belicheck, who drafted a fair few first round DL (Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork), so its not a surprise to see the Jets take a DL. Also, they need a big body for the middle of their 3-4.