Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: My Top 50

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

My Top 50

Still could tweak a bit till draft day, especially with guys like Lacey, Jones, Vaccaro, and Allen still to run again for teams, but here goes.

TIER 1 - Impact starters immediately, pro bowl potential, blue chippers at treasured positions.
    1. Luke Joeckel T
    2. Eric Fisher T
    3. Sharrif Floyd DT
    4. Dee Milliner CB
    5. Ziggy Ansah LB/DE
    6. Star Luteleilei DL
    7. Lane Johnson T
    8. Dion Jordan LB/DE
    9. Jon Cooper G
    10. Chance Warmack G
    11. Sheldon Richardson -DT

TIER 2 - Immediate starters with top potential down the road
    12. Xavier Rhodes CB
    13. Barkevious Mingo - DE/LB
    14. Bjorn Werner - DE/LB
    15. Tavon Austin WR/KR
    16. Sylvester Williams DT
    17. DJ Fluker OT
    18. Alec Ogletree -LB
    19. Kenan Allen WR (if 100%)
    20. Cordarelle Patterson WR
    21. Tank Carradine DE
    22. Justin Hunter WR
    23. Robert Woods WR
    24. DeAndre Hopkins WR
    25. Eric Reid S
    26. Tyler Eifert TE
    27. Ken Vaccaro S
    28. Jarvis Jones LB

TIER 3 Should become starters, and some might develop into stars
    29. Margus Hunt DE
    30. DeMontre Moore DE
    31. Justin Pugh OT
    32. Matt Elam S
    33. Arthur Brown LB
    34. Datone Jones DE
    35. Gino Smith QB
    36. Desmond Trufant CB
    37. Menelik Watson OT
    38. Eddie Lacey RB (if 100%)
    39. Jon Cyprien S
    40. D.J. Haynes CB
    41. Jamie Collins LB
    42. Sam Montgomery DE
    43. E.J. Manuel QB
    44. Kyle Long OL
    45. Kawann Short DT
    46. Mante Te'o LB
    47. Matt Barkley QB
    48. Khaseem Greene LB
    49. Jon Hankins DT
    50. Zach Ertz TE
    Randart likes this.

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Only one RB in the top 50... interesting. I'd probably include a couple more (Le'Veon Bell, Jonathan Franklin), but its definitely not a banner year for tailbacks.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: My Top 50

Nice list BW, I 'd love to add to this but then we go over 50, however I also would consider...
    Jon Franklin, Tyrann Mathieu and a QB Tyler Bray I believe as I really like his arm. As sleepers guys like to add Sio Moore, Da Rick Rodgers, Le'Veon Bell, Quinton Patton, & Joe Fauria (who I believe could be the surprise TE/WR of this draft). Not really sleepers but if you consider your top 50 then suppliments to it.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

As this list points out, it is a TOUGH year to be a team looking for a QB. But you know some team(s) is going to go out and reach for one anyway.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice list!

It's going to be interesting to see which tackle goes first. This kind of reminds me of the Eugene Monroe/Jason Smith debate from 2009. Monroe was more polished but Smith was viewed to have more upside and ended up as the first tackle off the board. Will Fisher get the nod as the guy with more upside?

It sounds like Star Lotulelei has nailed many of his most recent medical checks, so he's back in the Top 10 discussion. I could see him going to Oakland, Philadelphia, Cleveland, or Tennessee. If he falls out of the Top 10, he'd be a steal for a team like San Diego, Tampa Bay, or Carolina.

I like your rankings on the interior offensive line prospects. This only furthers my desire to grab one of them if available with pick #16, but I worry that their position works against them. Still, if you're talking about a Top 10 prospect, they should be among the best values on the board if available.

The more I think about a guy like D.J. Fluker, the more I think he could be the pick @ 16 depending on who else is available. The Rams met with him at the suite level at the Combine, have had him in for a private visit, and he plays the more highly regarded position of tackle. He's a guy who could come in immediately at guard while Saffold works at right tackle, and then he could shift outside in Year Two if Saffold walks. Don't feel very certain he's there @ 22 with New York, Chicago, and Cincinnati picking before the Rams.

You're higher on Ogletree than I am, but I probably dropped him due to off the field issues more than others have. I still expect him to be the first 4-3 LB off the board, but I'm not sure I'd take him in the Top 20. But does he get by New York and Chicago?

I'm going to be very interested to see where Tank Carradine goes. I love the fit of him to the New York Giants for some reason.

I think when it's all said and done, three receivers (Patterson, Austin, Allen) go in the first round. If a fourth guy sneaks in, I wonder if it will be Justin Hunter, who was pegged early in the process as a potential first round guy but has seen his stock move up and down over the offseason. I also wonder if a lesser regarded guy like Patton sneaks into the first like A.J. Jenkins did last year.

I guess I would have to go to 62 players, really, because the talent from 50 to 62 is pretty equal.

Then you would have guys like OT Armstead, RB Bernard, Bell, WR Patton TE Escobar, G Warford,
    C Schwenke, Frederick, DE Okeafor CB Taylor, Banks, LB C. Thomas would be added. Even after them you have a few other tier three type guys, like DTBrandon Williams, John JeNkins, and S Samarko Thomas to name three.

It's a good solid draft through round two. Then it depends on what position one needs.
    Barry Waller

>>You're higher on Ogletree than I am, but I probably dropped him due to off the field issues more than others have. I still expect him to be the first 4-3 LB off the board, but I'm not sure I'd take him in the Top 20. But does he get by New York and Chicago?
    >>

Jeff Fisher can handle Ogletree, whose worst offense I believe was a DUI or two.

Kenny Vaccaro has had numerous arrests in his life, and I don't see that being an issue, even with all the gang looking tats.

Ogletree is the only 4-3 OLB in this draft who might be a first rounder in any year. He played inside in a 3-4, which really doesn't give him a chance to show off his range and talent.

He's the closest to a top 15 of any player I don't have top tier, and exactly what Fisher needs for his other linebacker, a guy who says on the field on passing downs.

He' a lot like former Bulldog Odell Thurmon, or former Ram Will Witherspoon, maybe a bit like Jerod Mayo, guys who were all good players, and versatile.

I'd love to see him be a Ram, even at 16.
    Barry Waller

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    >>You're higher on Ogletree than I am, but I probably dropped him due to off the field issues more than others have. I still expect him to be the first 4-3 LB off the board, but I'm not sure I'd take him in the Top 20. But does he get by New York and Chicago?
    >>

Jeff Fisher can handle Ogletree, whose worst offense I believe was a DUI or two.

Kenny Vaccaro has had numerous arrests in his life, and I don't see that being an issue, even with all the gang looking tats.

Ogletree is the only 4-3 OLB in this draft who might be a first rounder in any year. He played inside in a 3-4, which really doesn't give him a chance to show off his range and talent.

He's the closest to a top 15 of any player I don't have top tier, and exactly what Fisher needs for his other linebacker, a guy who says on the field on passing downs.

He' a lot like former Bulldog Odell Thurmon, or former Ram Will Witherspoon, maybe a bit like Jerod Mayo, guys who were all good players, and versatile.

I'd love to see him be a Ram, even at 16.
    Great points. If there's anyone who is willing to take a guy who others might consider too big a character risk, it's Jeff Fisher. He seems to know how to get through to these guys, and given the positional need, Ogletree could certainly be on the radar. I suspect if the Rams want him, they might have to take him at 16. I could easily see him going to the Giants or Bears @ 19 and 20 respectively.