RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

My unconventional team need draft.

This is not my prefered draft based on who is the best player available. This draft is based on trying to fill what I see as the weakeast spots on the team. When I look at our current team I see a bunch of WR's and TE's that either missed a decent amount of time or will likely improve. We have Clayton and Avery who were both looking good prior to injury. We have DX who was not active for most of last year and showed signs of being a good WR when healthy. We had Amendola who looked solid last year. Gibson and Gilyard while not spectacular are not lost causes yet. Hoomanawanui when healthy looks like a go to TE in the passing game. Fells has been solid in the passing game and Onobun is still a developmental TE with potential.

Here is what I see as the biggest areas that could be upgraded:

DT- Current Starter Gibson
    WLB- Current Starter ?? Vobora/Grant/Kehl
    SLB- Current Starter ?? Vobora/Grant/Kehl
    RG- Current Starter Goldberg
    FS-Current Starter Stewart
    LG-Current Starter Bell
    RB2- Current Backup Darby

Draft:
    1. Corey Liuget 6’2 300 5.0 40
    2. Bruce Carter OLB 6’2 240 4.55 40
    3. Will Rackley OG 6’4 310 5.4 40
    4. K.J. Wright OLB 6’4 250 4.7 40
    5. Deunta Williams FS 6’2 215 4.55 40
    6. Da Rel Scott RB 5’11 215 4.4 40
    7. Darius Morris G 6’4 318 5.3 40 (Played RT last year could be a sleeper pick)

Below shows the offense and defense positions with the draftees in bold. I dont expect the players to all start but it shows the positions they would be challenging for starting at.

Offense:
    QB- Sam Bradford
    RB1- Steven Jackson
    RB2- Da Rel Scott
    TE1- Hoomanawanui
    TE2- Daniel Fells
    WR1- Donnie Avery
    WR2- Mark Clayton
    WR3- Danny Amendola
    WR4- Danario Alexander

RT- Jason Smith
    RG- Will Rackley / Adam Goldberg
    C- Jason Brown
    LG- Jacob Bell / Darius Morris
    LT- Rodger Saffold

Defense:
    DE- Chris Long
    DT- Fred Robbins
    DT- Corey Liuget
    DE- James Hall / George Selvie

SLB- K.J. Wright
    MLB- James Laurianitis
    WLB- Bruce Carter

CB- Ron Bartell
    CB- Bradley Fletcher
    FS- Deunta Williams / Darian Stewart
    SS- Craig Dahl / James Butler

I am really not a big Liuget fan but when I looked who I could get in the next two rounds I thought he made the mock look the best. The draft is not deep at LB IMO and Carter would be a good LB in round 2. I also think Rackley would be a good guard that we might be able to get in round 3. Ideally based on team need I wanted this draft to come out of the first three rounds with a DT, OLB, and a OG. This was the best three player combination for those positions that I seen as possible.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-23-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: My unconventional team need draft.

I would take that draft in a heart beat. The only thing I would change would be taking a chance on DE, Greg Romeus insted of K. J. Wright in the 4th round.

Still hoping for a free agency before season starts.
    Manny Lawson.
    How about a late flyer in draft or maybe undrafted free agent OLB from USC Michael Morgan one year starter. look him up.

I hope Rams are talking to alot of players that might go undrafted right now, because after the draft they're free agents and can't talk to teams.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

In general, I would be pretty happy coming out of that draft, except in a strictly need-based draft, I would question leaving safety until round 5. I don't think Williams starts over Stewart. In this scenario, by round 4, I would be looking for either a safety or a runningback first in terms of need.

The one glaring issue with the resulting depth chart would, of course, be our receiver situation. Avery went down in the preseason with a pretty significant injury, so I don't think we can really talk about whether he was looking good. Laurent Robinson was looking good in the preseason before that and hasn't looked the same since, and Avery had less than 600 yards in 16 games in 2009. I'd shudder to think that we were taking a leap of faith that our no. 1 receiver might return to that meager level of production. Clayton did look good...but at the same time, one certainly wouldn't compare him favorably to Isaac or Torry in their prime. In the old days, none of these guys would have been higher than third on the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The one glaring issue with the resulting depth chart would, of course, be our receiver situation. Avery went down in the preseason with a pretty significant injury, so I don't think we can really talk about whether he was looking good. Laurent Robinson was looking good in the preseason before that and hasn't looked the same since, and Avery had less than 600 yards in 16 games in 2009. I'd shudder to think that we were taking a leap of faith that our no. 1 receiver might return to that meager level of production. Clayton did look good...but at the same time, one certainly wouldn't compare him favorably to Isaac or Torry in their prime. In the old days, none of these guys would have been higher than third on the depth chart.
    We cant fill everything in one draft and I think our WR's Clayton, Avery, Dx, and Amendola have shown signs they can produce and are better then our DT(Gibson), OLB (??), and OG (Goldberg) situation. Like I said this is not my ideal draft because I would like a WR in round 1 or 2 possibly but if this draft was based on team need vs. BPA I would have to rank the other positions as needing more of an upgrade then WR because of potential at WR. My other mock drafts typically go with WR in round 1 or 2 becaue I like several WRs this year. However this draft was based on team need vs BPA and to me DT, OLB, and OG are a bigger need. If we use our first three picks on those positions then I dont want to select a developmental WR in rounds 4-7 because we still have several developmental WR's in Gilyard, Dx, and Gibson.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-24-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Cabo3334 is offline Registered User

Thoughts on Martez Wilson? I think he played ILB at Illinois but we could move him to SLB.

richtree is offline Registered User

So, you are adding nothing to our offense......no way.....

I personally think we have to find out Guard in Free Agency or 5 round or later in the draft......

I know we didn't run the ball great last year, but we need athletes to help Bradford Spread and Stretch the field.

Also, the revolving TE situation couldn't have been great for our run block schemes.

Lets get some fire power on both sides of the ball.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

It might not be your preferred draft but it is pretty good.

I would just make a small tweak with morris as our 6th pick in the early 7th and take RB Saine out of Ohio State at the end of the 7th. Saine has WR route running abilities and plays RB can be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabo3334 View Post
    Thoughts on Martez Wilson? I think he played ILB at Illinois but we could move him to SLB.
    Sounds interesting in the third or fourth round. He is 6'4 250 and runs a 4.45 40. Great physical numbers but I read where he has problems locating the bal which makes him play slower then his timed speed. The 40 time can be deceptive for a LB IMO. Instincts and reading plays can be a bigger factor then timed speed. If they read and react quicker they don't need to be as fast. With that said one thing you cant teach is size and speed and he has that.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Sorry but in a "team needs" draft i don't know how you can ignore WR. Yes we have a load of guys, but that doesn't mean those guys are good. We need an upgrade at the position.

deleted (double post)
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-26-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    We cant fill everything in one draft and I think our WR's Clayton, Avery, Dx, and Amendola have shown signs they can produce and are better then our DT(Gibson), OLB (??), and OG (Goldberg) situation. Like I said this is not my ideal draft because I would like a WR in round 1 or 2 possibly but if this draft was based on team need vs. BPA I would have to rank the other positions as needing more of an upgrade then WR because of potential at WR. My other mock drafts typically go with WR in round 1 or 2 becaue I like several WRs this year. However this draft was based on team need vs BPA and to me DT, OLB, and OG are a bigger need. If we use our first three picks on those positions then I dont want to select a developmental WR in rounds 4-7 because we still have several developmental WR's in Gilyard, Dx, and Gibson.
    Oh, I understand that you can't do it all in one draft, but it's a noteworthy omission when there seems to be a broad consensus that it is the biggest need and it is not addressed in a need-based draft. We've got Diggs, Vobora, Kehl and Grant at linebacker--and a lot more teams use late round players to fill their linebacker needs than starting receiver needs. Likewise, aside from the top ten overall defensive line picks like Warren Sapp and Kevin Williams, you get a lot of DLs from the mid- to late rounds as well. La'roi Glover, for example, was a 5th round pick. Leonard Little was a 3rd round pick. More recently, Elvis Dumervil was a 4th round pick. Some positions, most notably QB, are very top heavy (you either find one early in the draft or don't find one at all), but I do not believe that linebacker and defensive end fall into that category.

My need based draft would be something like:

1. Julio Jones
    2. Best safety available (Rahim Moore?)
    3. Traded to secure rights to Jones
    4. Best runningback available
    5. - 7. Linebacker, guard, defensive tackle in any order depending on talent available

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    So, you are adding nothing to our offense......no way.....

I personally think we have to find out Guard in Free Agency or 5 round or later in the draft......

I know we didn't run the ball great last year, but we need athletes to help Bradford Spread and Stretch the field.

Also, the revolving TE situation couldn't have been great for our run block schemes.

Lets get some fire power on both sides of the ball.
    I agree in terms of the receiver position, but I'm not sure the solution to the revolving door at TE is to show last year's rookies the door in favor of new rookies.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-26-2011 at 07:36 AM.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I agree in terms of the receiver position, but I'm not sure the solution to the revolving door at TE is to show last year's rookies the door in favor of new rookies.
    I completely agree. Hoomawamanui showed plenty of potential when he was on the field last year. I found it interesting that everyone praised him for being such a great blocker when we drafted him but he seems to be a very capable receiver as well.

I'd much rather see what kind of players Uh-Oh and Onobun can become and use our Day 2 and 3 picks on other needs.

I almost feel the same way at receiver. DX could possibly be a stud at receiver and I haven't given up on Avery yet, or Gilyard for that matter and Amendola is very steady. I want to give it a year to see what Danario can become with a year under his belt and then possibly use a 1st round pick for a wide receiver. Plus, we'd have to trade up to draft Jones and I don't think we should be doing that when we have as many holes as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Sorry but in a "team needs" draft i don't know how you can ignore WR. Yes we have a load of guys, but that doesn't mean those guys are good. We need an upgrade at the position.
    This team needs a lot of help. We need a new guard that will help both our running game and passing game. We only have one good LB in Laurinatis with very little upside in house. We only have one decent DT Fred Robbins and he is 34 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Oh, I understand that you can't do it all in one draft,
    1. Julio Jones
    2. Best safety available (Rahim Moore?)
    3. Traded to secure rights to Jones
    4. Best runningback available
    5. - 7. Linebacker, guard, defensive tackle in any order depending on talent available
    The first three rounds are where you look for future starters and once you get beyond that its a lot harder to find starters. Beyond the first three rounds it is a crap shoot. In the first three rounds all you got was a WR and a S which neither IMO is weaker then OG, DT, and OLB. I would find it hard to believe that the Rams would go S in round 2 after letting Atogwe walk. I dont think the Rams would view the safety position as being more of a need then DT, OG, or OLB.

Your draft gives up 2 of the first 3 three rounds for Julio Jones who is a 22 year old WR when we have Dx who is 6'5 22 years old and Gilyard last years 3rd round pick. Both of them still have upside and could do good in the new offense. We also have Brandon Gibson 6'0 who is just 23 years old. Clayton who was the oldest WR we have is 28. Avery looked very good in preseason last year with Bradford. Dx looked very promising and Amendola showed he could produce. Three of the four WRs missed the majority of the games last year. Robinson who has speed and is 6'2 is only 25 might show something in a second year with Bradford and a new scheme. I like WR's in rounds 1 and 2 but I would rather fill another need and go with a position of need instead of adding another young WR. We have two safetys with alot of starting expierence in Butler and Dahl.

We have only one DT and one LB that would classify as starters with no real upside in site. Bradford had to roll out of the pocket alot last year because our guards were getting beat inside. Goldberg was not good in the running game at all. We need a good guard to help our running game and passing game.

Just a note but Dx had better college numbers then Jones and Jones is not known for his hands.

Your draft does the following:
    1. Leaves G's with Goldberg and Bell.
    2. Leaves OLB's with a bunch of bad OLB's with no real upside and Diggs (aging vet not very good)
    3. Leaves the DT's with Gibson.
    4. Adds a S to compete with two veterans with starting experience and a 22 year old Stewart who the coaches like.
    5. Adds Julio Jones to the WR's to give us the following depth at WR.
    WR1- Clayton, Gibson, Amendola, Robinson
    WR2- Jones, Dx, Avery, Gilyard

Yours adds a WR that will replace one of the other WR's that might be a decent WR. It also adds a safety to compete with the other three for a starting spot.

My draft does the following:
    1. Leaves WRs with:
    WR1- Clayton, Gibson, Amendola, Robinson
    WR2- Dx, Avery, Gilyard
    2. Adds Liuget to replace Gibson
    3. Adds Carter to replace our revolving door OLBs
    4. Adds Rackley to replace Goldberg at G

Mine would add two quality players to the front 7 on defense in positions of need. It would also add a Guard to replace Goldberg which could help the running and passing game.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-26-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    The first three rounds are where you look for future starters and once you get beyond that its a lot harder to find starters. Beyond the first three rounds it is a crap shoot. In the first three rounds all you got was a WR and a S which neither IMO is weaker then OG, DT, and OLB. I would find it hard to believe that the Rams would go S in round 2 after letting Atogwe walk. I dont think the Rams would view the safety position as being more of a need then DT, OG, or OLB.
    Why not? Have you seen any evidence to date that the team has prioritized the OLB position in recent years? In Spagnuolo's time with the Giants, they went through half a dozen different outside linebackers. The mainstay was Pierce in the middle, but the OLBs were expendable. The one exception was Kiwanuka, who was drafted as a pass rusher but proved to be a better fit as a joker type linebacker.

I think you're oversimplifying the situation by ignoring positional difference. Offensive guards are almost never taken earlier than the end of the first round (for exceptional talents), and the league is full of guys who were drafted after the first three rounds. Old mainstays for the Rams like Adam Timmerman and Tom Nutten were drafted in the seventh round. Andy McCollum was undrafted.

The one big difference between your need draft and mine is whether you leave a significant need to be filled at defensive tackle or wide receiver. I think in the long run, it will be more important for Sam to have his no. 1 receiver than to add another DT to the lineup, especially since in this scenario we'd be getting what is perceived to be an elite talent at receiver instead of reaching for the DT.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Wright and Duenta Williams will be way gone by our picks in those rounds. Many have Williams listed as a top 2 or 3 safety now. Wright would be a big surprise to be there in 4, he is listed by most as a 3rd.