AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My view of the 2011 draft is evolving.

As the Rams continue to show improvement, I find myself moving away from a "hole filling" mentality and towards a "BPA" approach for the 2011 draft.

That's a good thing. The reason perennially strong teams remain in contention is that they have the ability to focus on simply obtaining talent, rather than constantly filling holes (potentially at the risk of "reaching.")

I do have one fairly obvious caveat to the BPA approach, though...

Wide receiver.

The Rams need to put a premium on the WR position when considering its draft options. The reason is equally obvious. When you have a rising star QB like Sam Bradford, you want to give him as many weapons as possible.

So, if there is a clear cut first round WR on the board when the Rams pick, I think that's where they have to go. Right now, I see only three players who fit that definition: A.J. Green, Justin Blackmon (if he declares early) and Julio Jones.

After those three, there is a fairly long list of WRs who I'd give a Round 1/2 grade to: Michael Floyd, Jonathan Baldwin, Leonard Hankerson and Ryan Broyles top that list.

So, if the Rams are unable to get one of the "Big 3" WRs with their first pick, I'd go with a modified BPA approach in making the first selection. Essentially, it would be the BPA among the following positions:

RB, WR, TE, DE, DT, OLB, DB

Or, stated another way, any position other than QB, OL, FB, MLB, K and P.

Of course, FA could change all of this, but that's a discussion for another day.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: My view of the 2011 draft is evolving.

I agree with you 100% except with one caveat.

If Alexander stays healthy, productive and doesn't have any nagging problems after the season... I would be comfortable enough with him, Clayton, Amendola and Avery to go with BPA period.

If that is still someone like Julio Jones at the time we pick I'm fine with that but I wouldn't bump him up to far if better talent is there for the taking.

I know this is a big if and I'm not counting on it but we will have the luxury of knowing Alexander's status before the draft.

Any sign of trouble... ANY sign and I'm on board with receiver as #1 priority period.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The further down the draft order the Rams go, the more options they have. The grades for these mid to late first round guys are going to be a lot closer together, so the Rams could go a number of ways and not be making a big leap in terms of prospect grading.

I would still view WR as one of the top priorities this offseason, but I agree with you that I wouldn't force the issue if Green and Jones (or even Blackmon) are off the board.

The one position that I'm just not sure the Rams have the luxury of spending a first round pick on is running back. It'd just be tough to spend a first round pick improving a position on the team that's arguably one of the best already. But if, say, Ingram is sitting there, can you pass on him? It would be interesting.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The further down the draft order the Rams go, the more options they have. The grades for these mid to late first round guys are going to be a lot closer together, so the Rams could go a number of ways and not be making a big leap in terms of prospect grading.

I would still view WR as one of the top priorities this offseason, but I agree with you that I wouldn't force the issue if Green and Jones (or even Blackmon) are off the board.

The one position that I'm just not sure the Rams have the luxury of spending a first round pick on is running back. It'd just be tough to spend a first round pick improving a position on the team that's arguably one of the best already. But if, say, Ingram is sitting there, can you pass on him? It would be interesting.
    We can't pass on Ingram if he's there for the picking.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If we are sitting in the mid-late part of the draft and Jones and Green are gone with ingram still there we must pull the trigger because as much of a workhorse as Jackson has been we see him getting tired down the stretch. Also Ingram is a good receiver out of the backfield do you see him running screens at alabama he is very patient. He is an offensive playmaker we cannot pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As the Rams continue to show improvement, I find myself moving away from a "hole filling" mentality and towards a "BPA" approach for the 2011 draft.
    Yea it seems like we dont have major holes to fill other than WR. So do you think this is the year that we make a huge splash with a trade? If spags and shurmur fall in love with AJ Green do see us moving all the way up into the top 10 to draft Green?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I think we have a hole at WLB and SS, in addition to WR.

I would love to have A.J Green, and I wouldn't mind trading up for him. However, that's probably not going to happen. Floyd, Blackmon, or Jones would be a nice consolation prize.

For WLB, I would love to have Travis Lewis. Bruce Carter isn't bad either, but Lewis is a beast.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i believe we need a sidekick for james laurinaitis and more youth/talent on the d-line to take our d to the next level. still i agree that a wide receiver should be a priority for us in this offseason, however if we end up winning the division i'd take a long hard look at a couple of linebackers that should be available.