So far we have these WRs on the roster:

Donnie Avery
    Danny Amendola (RFA)
    Danario Alexander
    Brandon Gibson
    Mardy Gilyard
    Laurent Robinson (FA)
    Mark Clayton (UFA)

Mark Clayton - He should be resigned. He has great leadership skills, and was a big help and influence on the younger receivers. He made big plays, and was psychically linked to Bradford, sort of like Amendola. At worst he is a really good possession receiver. He also said he wanted to stay a Ram.

Laurent Robinson - He had a tough year. He was held back by small injuries, and couldn't get on the same page as Bradford. Later in the year he missed catches, and ran wrong routes. He had a couple of bad holding penalties, and I was not impressed with his run blocking. He seemed a lot slower than last year, and he does not fight for the ball (play with physicality). I can't see any way the Rams bring him back.

Danny Amendola - He will be, and has to be brought back. He's a good slot receiver with great chemistry with Bradford. Has a knack for finding the holes and plays with an edge. He was huge on third down and brought energy that no other receiver did. He will either sign a long term deal or be tendered.

Donnie Avery - He has one more year on his contract, at only around 500,000. He brings an element of speed no one else on the roster has, and was coming into his own. He should be a big part of the Rams offense next year. He should be a Johnny Knox, Jocoby Ford, Jeremy Maclin type speed receiver.

In my opinion the Rams need one more receiver, either through the draft of free agency.

Receivers in Free Agency (my ranking in order of interest):

Sidney Rice
    Malcolm Floyd
    Vincent Jackson
    Santonio Holmes
    Steve Smith
    Lee Evans
    Steve Breaston
    Terrell Owens

Not interested in Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress (it'll take him at least a year to get his game legs under him/ he's a nutcase), Randy Moss

Receivers in Draft (order of interest):

AJ Green (if he was available at around pick 7-10 and we did not pick up a quality free agent, I would trade up in a heartbeat. He is heads above the other receivers)
    Justin Blackmon
    Julio Jones (still don't trust his hands)
    Michael Floyd
    Jon Baldwin (not a big fan of his separation and route running)

I like some other receivers, but am not sure if the talent difference between them and what we already have is great enough.

In reality my WRs next year would be:

Justin Blackmon/Sidney Rice/Malcolm Floyd
    Donnie Avery
    Mark Clayton
    Danny Amendola
    Danario Alexander
    Brandon Gibson (he is a good Jason Avant, James Jones type reserve receiver)

Unless Gilyard comes out flying in training camp I would put him on the practice squad (He was inactive quite a few times so he should be eligible)

We have some good reserves in case of an injury, and would be much better off than this past year.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: My View of the WR Situation

I would pass on Malcolm Floyd because he is 29 and we would just be looking at another Drew Bennett Situation. I can't see the vikings letting there best FA and one there best players go while he is young and in his prime. So our best route would be the draft to get a number 1. Unless you want to look at guys like Vincent Jackson and Santonio Holmes who have character issues and I doubt we want to do that.

richtree is offline Registered User

I agree that Laurent Robinson is gone for sure.....Mardy is also on the bubble.

The Rams should draft a WR in the first 2 rounds of the draft. I was also like to add a strong, young player to the core. Legedu Naanee would be a great addition to provide some athleticism to a Ram team lacking speed and athletes on the field.

sdobbers is offline Registered User

In most places I see people having us do one or the other (FA or draft), but why not do both and have people competing for the job?

Sign Sidney Rice.
    Draft Justin Blackmon.

Then in camp we'd have the following competition going on...

Sidney Rice
    Justin Blackmon
    Donnie Avery
    Danny Amendola
    Danario Alexander
    Brandon Gibson
    Mardy Gilyard
    Mark Clayton

Could you imagine if we had...

Rice and Blackmon on the outsides, with Amendola in the slot, and Danario/Clayton in 4/5 receiver sets.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sdobbers View Post
    In most places I see people having us do one or the other (FA or draft), but why not do both and have people competing for the job?

Sign Sidney Rice.
    Draft Justin Blackmon.

Then in camp we'd have the following competition going on...

Sidney Rice
    Justin Blackmon
    Donnie Avery
    Danny Amendola
    Danario Alexander
    Brandon Gibson
    Mardy Gilyard
    Mark Clayton

Could you imagine if we had...

Rice and Blackmon on the outsides, with Amendola in the slot, and Danario/Clayton in 4/5 receiver sets.
    Assuming we tender Amendola, we also have Avery, Alexander, and Gibson on the active roster (with Gilyard on the practice squad) next year.

Everyone has the same general plan to bring in 2 more players. Mark Clayton is one of those players, and a free agent/draft pick is the other. Paying 2 free agents large contracts, and a first round pick contract just isn't happening with this team. We also wouldn't want to sign Clayton to a contract to have him as a 5th receiver who might not even be active. There is also the chance the Rams only carry 5 receivers.

richtree is offline Registered User

The one thing that I think everyone should remember is that our TE's are horrible.

I really think we should go hard after Owen Daniels or Zach Miller or etc....

Michael Hoo looks good but Fells just isn't cutting it. Our run game, and play action pass would greatly benefit it we had a huge TE that blocks for SJAX but can also get down the middle of the field for Bradford.

Part of the reason our offense is so vanilla is that whenever Danny Amendola is in the slot we lose the full threat of running behind a strong side TE while maintaining the threat to pass.

We took Michael Hooman over Jimmy Graham. Kevin Boss is a free agent too.

It is time let Fells walk. We overpaid him last year to come back and he didn't show anything special ....

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    The one thing that I think everyone should remember is that our TE's are horrible.

Michael Hoo looks good but Fells just isn't cutting it. Our run game, and play action pass would greatly benefit it we had a huge TE that blocks for SJAX but can also get down the middle of the field for Bradford.

Part of the reason our offense is so vanilla is that whenever Danny Amendola is in the slot we lose the full threat of running behind a strong side TE while maintaining the threat to pass.

It is time let Fells walk. We overpaid him last year to come back and he didn't show anything special ....
    Totally agree Richtree, Mike Hoo is a huge ??? also with the injury bug, just like Alexander at WR.
    Fells had plenty of opportunity's to make his mark this season, but clearly didnt. It may have been the conservative approach employed by Spags, the way he was utilized, who knows ? Id like to see Fendi O get into the mix more next season, someone who can scare an opposing team.
    This team has so many ????? on the roster. Its hard to gauge what is the best way to go, with pass catchers in mind. Including TE's.
    The Rams cant use the best available WR that is left policy, were not that good of a team yet. A.J. Green wont fall to 14, and unless the Rams know he is the next Jerry Rice, trading up would be foolish, with all are other needs.
    Having not seen a lot of this years draft crop at WR, at first glance.
    Blackmon looks a true No1 WR in my book. Julio Jones looks similar to our very own DX Missile, so cross him off the list.
    Gilyard is on the bubble. I know the Rams like him, its all about how much improvement he makes to his preparation (mental), theirs no doubting his ability. Laurent Robinson can clean his locker out this season, Gibson should be back on the sidelines. Amendola is worth keeping for his return ability, plus as a 4 reciever(slot).
    Avery and Clayton are both worth another season at least, as 3 and 4 recievers.
    To me we need a high priced free agent reciever, plus a WR or TE in the first 3 rounds. We cant rely on Alexander for the future, fingers crossed with him though. Good looking rookie WR.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

We took Mike in the 5th round, and Graham went in the 3rd so I don't really get what you're saying.
    Anyway, I'd love to have Zach Miller or Kevin Boss, but the chances of us getting either one are basically none. Zach Miller is probably the best player on the entire Raiders roster, there is no way he goes anywhere. The Giants played pretty much with 2 TEs, and Boss is pretty important to them. Miller would definitely look good in horns though. Nice to dream.