Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My Way Too Soon Mock

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

My Way Too Soon Mock

Just for fun. Don't hold me to it, just the top 13

1. Houston - Bridgewater QB They MUST take a QB
    2. Atlanta (from Rams) Clowney DE (Rams get 2nd this year and first in 2015 plus the Falcons 7th overall pick.) about equal 1100 points on draft trade table.
    Makes sense, Atlanta connection with Snead, big need for DL help, hisory of big moves by both GMs.
    3. Minnesota - Hundley QB UCLA - Ponder is through
    4. Oakland - Barr OLB/DE Just best player available and fits big pass rush need
    5. Cleveland - Manziel QB - Mobile QBs work best in AFC North. Memories of Kosar.
    6. Jacksonville - Watkins WR - Can't count on Blackmon at all
    7. Rams (from ATL) Jake Matthews OT Fisher connection, obvious need, and value
    8. Rams- C.J. Mosley LB - Best player available and fits need, great in coverage.
    9. Buffalo - K. Mack DE/OLB - Local boy makes good, maybe surest #1 pick
    10. Tampa Bay Taylor Lewan OT - Bucs stay with Glennon at QB, need protector
    11. Pittsburgh - Mike Evans WR - Need for weapons for big Ben makes this easy
    12. NYG - Cameron Erving OT - G men love big guys, Eli getting hit too much.
    13. Tennessee - Trent Murphy DE - Need pass rush help more than DT or O-line, probably going free agent at QB ( Vandy alum Cutler coming back to Nashville?)

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Don't like the Mosley pick at all.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: My Way Too Soon Mock

If we do not love a WR in this class, I would not mind accumulating a second one for next years draft for ammo to grab DGB next season.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Love the Mosley pick. He's as complete a LB as they come. God forbid JL or Tree went down. Mosley is a much better prospect than Ogletree or JL were coming out anyways. He's the definition of a true 3 down LB (shines in both phases).

THE DREAM TEAM

Randart is offline Registered User

That would be a nice draft and is plausable for the reasons you stated Barry... Love the trade and we still ended up with Jake, will be fun to have our new OL nic named: 'The Two Jakes' & then have to wait to see who their side kicks will be! Also nice to shore up our LB group even more, then we fill our other needs with the seconds etc... I think this is a scenario most fans and probably our front office would like.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Love the Mosley pick. He's as complete a LB as they come. God forbid JL or Tree went down. Mosley is a much better prospect than Ogletree or JL were coming out anyways. He's the definition of a true 3 down LB (shines in both phases).
    So you want to spend a Top 15 pick on a LB because you're worried about injury, and because you think a college player is clearly better than two established Pros?

Glad you're not the GM.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-09-2013 at 08:22 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So you want to spend a Top 15 pick on a LB because you're worried about injury, and because you think a college is clearly better than two established Pros?

Glad you're not the GM.

Nope. But I'd spend a top 15 pick on a player that is extremely talented in both phases of the game and fills a big hole. Nowhere did I say "Yeah we should take Mosley because injuries happen", or "Mosley is deserving of the pick because he's a better prospect than Tree and JL". The reason I said he is a better prospect than Ogletree was because if we had a LB corps of Mosley, Laurinaitis, and Ogletree, I'd have no problems leaving Mosley out there on 3rd down rather than Ogletree.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

Nope. But I'd spend a top 15 pick on a player that is extremely talented in both phases of the game and fills a big hole. Nowhere did I say "Yeah we should take Mosley because injuries happen", or "Mosley is deserving of the pick because he's a better prospect than Tree and JL". The reason I said he is a better prospect than Ogletree was because if we had a LB corps of Mosley, Laurinaitis, and Ogletree, I'd have no problems leaving Mosley out there on 3rd down rather than Ogletree.
    So you want a 2012 first round pick who is going to make the all rookie team to ride the bench on 1/3 of the defensive snaps?

demiurge is offline Registered User

I already put my 2 cents in on the LB situation, and think we could definitely use an upgrade over Dunbar who is close to a year suspension anyway. Not sure I'd go Mosley though, but he would help our run D which has been gashed a lot this year. I'd be OK with Barr, but he'd be long gone at that pick.

I think we need to cut ties with Finnegan and that monster contract, so I'd be more inclined to go CB for our second first rounder. Unfortunately the talent there isn't overwhelming from most of the analyses I've seen, so I'd either want to trade down again if we could find a willing partner or get one in the 2nd round.

We have a ton of flexibility in our drafting, and lots of areas that could be helped. A run stuffing DT like Nix, coverage corner, or ball hawking safety would all help the D, assuming we already had nabbed Matthews who would be a great addition to the OL.

Personally I think our WR corps just needs some time, and I'd like to see a veteran S added for value to help out there and help coordinate the secondary. About the only place where a talent infusion would be wasted is DE which we are set, so I think we can truly focus on best available.

Love the idea of the trade at #2 if that were to occur. After that, just pick good players.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I love the trade. I like the pick at 7. I hate an OLB in the first round. If we couldn't trade down again at 8 I'd take Nix, the top CB or even the top S. They'd all fill a need bigger than OLB.

Hell I'd take Lewan at 8 before I took an OLB and make him play guard or something.

Just my 2 cents.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I really like the trade, but not if we're making it with the intention of taking Matthews at number 7. (Atlanta has the number 3 pick as of today) I don't think he'll be there. There's not another contender for top LT and there's a premium on the position that causes teams to go for them very early. After all the off-season activity, I don't think he makes it out of the top three, let alone the top five.

If the season ends with us at 2 and Atlanta at 3, we might be seeing another team trying to leap Atlanta for the rights to Clowney, or Atlanta making sure they land their guy. (ala Trent Richardson and Cleveland)

punahou is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Don't like the Mosley pick at all.
    I'll second that

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Like the trade, Matthews is ok, Mosley ehhh.... Would hope for nix or more trading down.

Also, no Carr going in the top 13???

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Tampa, I saw that as well and also wondered how Jax could not take a QB with only Gabbert and Henne. I would probably say they go for Carr rather a WR with mediocre QB's throwing to him.

As for Mosely, I'm a fan of taking him although I would prefer Barr and use him as an OLB. I see him as our version of Aldon Smith plus a huge upgrade over Dunbar who is a risk given the drug suspension issue and not worth a big contract that he may ask for as he's a FA after this season. I'm still in the learning mode on Mosely, so the Combine will help me learn more.

I also don't understand why so many people see OT as an obvious need. We can certainly upgrade our O-Line, but the needs are more in the middle (G/C). I like Mathews but don't see Fisher going that way unless they see him as a G until the LT spot opens. Just my opinion.

Nice job Barry.

Go Rams!

citr92 is offline Registered User

trade has potential, don't understand 2nd pick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast