Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My Way Too Soon Mock

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: My Way Too Soon Mock

Somehow I get the feeling that the notion of the Rams spending a mid to high first round pick on a linebacker is going to be a fun topic of discussion for the next 5-6 months.

Anyways, I'm a huge fan of mocks, so a couple of thoughts on this one...

1. Houston: No brainer
    2. Atlanta (from Rams): I think Falcons would love him, but do teams really trade up for guys with character red flags?
    3. Minnesota: I agree on the position, but I prefer Carr at this point in the process. Wouldn't be surprised if Hundley stayed at UCLA.
    4. Oakland: I like it.
    5. Cleveland: Makes all the sense in the world. Really, could see them being the trade partner @ second overall with the Rams.
    6. Jacksonville: Hard to see them passing on a QB, but tough situation if they're taking the fourth best passer @ 6th overall.
    7. Rams (from ATL): Love it!
    8. Rams: I don't see a need for an every down linebacker, and that's what you're committing to with this pick.
    9. Buffalo: Almost makes too much sense.
    10. Tampa Bay: I like it. Do you still view Lewan as the 2nd tackle in this class? Seems like Ewing is gaining steam.
    11. Pittsburgh: True, could see them going OL as well.
    12. NYG: I don't see this one after they extended Beatty in Feb and have been playing first rounder Pugh @ RT all year.
    13. Tennessee: Definitely fits a need.

Nice work!
    Last edited by Nick; -12-09-2013 at 07:38 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Clowney just got a DUI going 110 in a 70 from a report I just read... What an idiot.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I'm not sold on Mosley either, but not as far as his value. SOMEONE will take him high up, and LT types are 3-4 types and they DO go VERY EARLY year after year.

Mosley is a COVER linebacker and the way the NFL is changing, they are a must on the weak side. How many times do you se a LB trying to cover a TE RB or even WR in thise defenses.

I believe the game has changed a BUNCH, and everyone in the back even HAS to be able to cover now in a 4-3.

I'm hoping SOME player will break that top ten, and have a rating close enough to Mosley to go there, but the drop off to ANY CB, DT, or WR at tht point is just too mjuch.

Had Ogletree not had the off fiels issues, he would have been a top ten pick. Patrick Willis is not an LY

Actually, if I was drafting, I might just take TWO OL in round one.

I'm hoping a DT, or DB might work out so well they move up there with Mosely, who would have been top 15 had he come out last year, he's that good.

Mosley will be a special player in the NFL, and I'd hate to see him go to a competitor in the division.

It doesn't really matter that he plays a position that "doesn't rank high" on the importance list.

The Rams can take CB and safeties in round 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, and they probably get guys not that far behind the top ones this year.

DO they need MORE youth in the defensive backfield, where they are all babies with finnegan out?

Who replaces Finnegan as the leader of the DB Johnson, Jenkins? McDonald?

If they cut Finnegan loose, they MUST add some veteran DB help for the locker room, even a pretty old guy these youngsters would repect, like Ed Reed.

MORE rookie starters (thoug hthose in t his draft would not beat out Johnson and Jenkins, and are not as talented athletically) would be a disaster.

Anyway, as I said, it was just for fun, not for sme super close examination, or some effort to think I am not up on draftnikism.

I practically invented it, and may I remind all of my prediction for an OT loaded top 6 last year. Everyone thought I was nuts on here , as they had WR and DT going really early instead.
    Barry Waller

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

For me, the worst thing about this draft class is that there does not appear to be a Blue Chip CB. I'd say the DB with the highest grade is probably Clinton-Dix, a safety (and I don't think anyone has a Top 10 grade on him).

I think Jacksonville will trade down to get a QB, but if the top four are gone, they may go another way and go QB in round two. If Carr really moves up, he'd be the guy, but some of these QB may not come out either.

Jacksonville really has not helped themselves by winning some games.

They may look at a high priced free agent too, like Tennessee is with Cutler. Schaub will be available as well.
    Barry Waller

>>For me, the worst thing about this draft class is that there does not appear to be a Blue Chip CB. I'd say the DB with the highest grade is probably Clinton-Dix, a safety (and I don't think anyone has a Top 10 grade on him).>.

Yep, and all the best CB seem to be short, little guys
    The thing is they MUST add some veteran in the locker room to replace Finnegan, or else bring him back for a lower salary. DO you really want Jenkins and Johnson being the leaders?

I don't think a rookie in this draft would be better than Johnson and Jenkins

They need to find a good VETERAN free safety, even if it's just for a year or two.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

To be honest I'd much rather have Barr or Mosely out there on 3rd down then the crap 3rd CB's that the Rams have been trotting out there.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Anyway, as I said, it was just for fun, not for sme super close examination, or some effort to think I am not up on draftnikism.

I practically invented it, and may I remind all of my prediction for an OT loaded top 6 last year. Everyone thought I was nuts on here , as they had WR and DT going really early instead.
    For a pro writer you would think to know using the all inclusives is "Always" hazardous! Better to make them mostly, usually, or even the majority. I for one did think there were many viable OT and even OG choices in last years draft. Therefore your conclusion of everyone is perhaps a near miss at best. Hope this enlightens your view point just a bit for the future my ladd.

If there is a CB to watch, I'd look at Justin Gilbert, who is 6-0, 194 and supposedly runs under 4.5 and is a physical guy with good hands.

If he runs really well at the combine, he might be the one guy who could make the Rams look twice early, or after a trade down.
    Barry Waller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12