Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Name your Top 5 most overrated players in the draft

ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE:

I commend RJ39 and r8rh8r for steering this thread back on track after what could have been a nasty de-railing. As such, I'm giving fair warning. Any post in this thread that replies to the earlier Martz comments will be deleted.

With that, let's carry on with the overrated draftees.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

So he doesn't have enough intelligence to make it in the NFL because you saw him run the ball instead of pass it on a few occasions? BOTH his passing and rushing numbers were off the charts in 2005. When he did decide to throw the ball he hit his recievers over 65% of the time. Just maybe he knew what he was doing and is smarter than you give him credit for. As for the decision to come out early, do you think all athletes that make that decision aren't intelligent or just Vince Young?
    Any player who comes out when he has proven nothing in college makes me question their intelligence. I sat down and watched the Ohio State-Texas game three times. Thats the only above average defense that he played all season. It was a pathetic showing by Young. He had guys open running across the middle of the field only to have the ball fly behind them or too far in front. He'd run, but was chased down by Hawk. It proved to me that his speed is not what so many want to believe it is.

He destroyed OSU and USC. Thats not a big deal. I can garuantee you that Brodie Croyle and Jay Cutler would have shredded those secondaries. I still want to see what Young can do against an abover average defense, because so far he has done nothing.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I vote for vince young. I just dont see it at the pro level. The guy had weapons coming out the ying yang and a terrific offensive line. Great athlete for sure. Great nfl qb? I strongly doubt it, cerainly not if i am picking 3d or 4th in the draft. If he is a good learner, maybe he will be better than vick, but i dont see the arm strength or the accuracy to warrant a top 5 pick. I also agree with the prior post that he did a lot of damage against some lousy defenses in college. USC was a debacle on defense.

My criticism really isnt so much against young per se, more of a bias against running qb's. He is fast for sure, but its the men against boys theory again. When he gets to the next level, the guys chasing him will be a LOT bigger and faster and if he cant throw consistently, he wont reach the level that one would expect from a top 5 pick. Lots of highlight material? Sure, just like ron mexico. Lots of qb success? I am highly skeptical.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

like I said, with the right guidance, i think he COULD be great, he's obviously got the potential, and you all know it. I don't think he's gonna be a superstar (and if he ever becomes one, it'll take atleast 3-5 years in the NFL). I think he can become a good consistent QB, I never said he'd be a Roethlesberger or anything that proved himself his first year,but anyways, thats off topic, I think Young will do just fine in good time.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Any player who comes out when he has proven nothing in college makes me question their intelligence.
    We definitely don't see things the same here. He not only proved he could be an effective passer by having the third best quarterback rating in the nation, he proved his leadership and poise under pressure by doing everything right in the most critical moments of the biggest game a college quarterback could find himself in. His performance was one for the ages and as far as I'm concerned, he is indeed special and proved he's ready for the next level.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this and wait to see what Young can do on Sunday's.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I will also add Charlie Whiteherst
    RamsFan16

16 you are right on about that. This guy is as inconsistent as they come. Right now, he isnt even on my board of QBs.

16 you are right on about that. This guy is as inconsistent as they come. Right now, he isnt even on my board of QBs.
    Yea they say he is good but he had 11 TD and 10 INT last season. Really good.
    RamsFan16

Yea they say he is good but he had 11 TD and 10 INT last season. Really good.
    As opposed to Brodie Croyle who threw a grand total of 4INTs. My QB Board is set up like this...

1.)Leinart-Great intelligence. He's ready to start from day one

2.)Cutler-A little raw, but he has a huge arm and should develop into a franchise QB

3.)Croyle-Questions about his durability. He has a live arm though and a good head on his shoulders. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a top QB in just a few years.

4.)Vince Young- Although I dont think he has what it takes to be an NFL QB, there is no arguing with his raw talent. If he can develop that, he will be a stud.

5.)Omar Jacobs- I like this guy a lot. He makes good decisions and doesnt go down easily. I wonder if he has the IT factor. That flare that just lets you know that a guy can lead a team back to win.

I dont even have Young or Whitehurst in my top 3. They are badly overrated because of their prototype form. Those prototype bodies dont always develop into NFL stars.

Here is mine

1) Young
    2) Leinart
    3) Cutler
    4) Drew Olson
    5) Jacobs
    RamsFan16

4) Drew Olson
    Isnt he still in college?

Isnt he still in college?
    No. QB UCLA he is a senior.
    RamsFan16

No. QB UCLA he is a senior.
    my bad. I was thinking about Drew Tate

Oh haha. No were talking about Drew Olson buddy.
    RamsFan16

Ehhh, Drew Olson's arm leaves me wanting more. I'm thinking that he'll more than likely be a career backup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123