eldfan is offline Registered User

Ndamukong Suh Will Go #1 That Doesn't Mean Rams Won't Get a Qb

by Jonathan Maurer Jonathan MaurerContributor

Contributor Written on February 08, 2010

The Rams have the #1 pick in the draft which comes as no surprise to a lot of people. It is pretty clear that the Rams are not gonna pass up on a monster like Ndamukong Suh. But that does not mean that they can't find a franchise QB in the draft. Why? Think about it! Joe Montana went in the 3rd round and won 4 Superbowl's with the *****, Brett Favre went in the 2nd round, Drew Brees who won the Superbowl yesterday was drafted in the second round, Tom Brady went in the 6th round!

I think the future franchise QB for the Rams is Colt McCoy. I actually think Colt McCoy is the next Joe Montana (no joke). Joe Montana came from a famous school in Notre Dame but wasn't really looked at as your prototypical NFL quarterback. But he was still an accurate passer and he was a winner. That is what I see what with Colt McCoy which is an accurate passer and a winner. People doubt him because of his arm but those same people doubted Drew Brees and he won a Superbowl MVP yesterday.

If the Rams do draft Colt McCoy he might not contribute right away. So the Rams should sign Marc Bulger to a two year deal that way Colt Mccoy can develop more. I know there are going to be some that will disagree with me (or a lot who will). But I will stick by my statement until proven wrong. Colt McCoy is the next Joe Montana!

:ramlogo:

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ndamukong Suh Will Go #1 That Doesn't Mean Rams Won't Get a Qb

I have no problem with the concept of taking McCoy in Round 2, but Bulger is already under contract, so I'm not sure where signing him to a 2 year deal comes into play.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I have no problem with it, but we should sign VICK to be a stop gap guy!!!111!!!1

(Its required to mention Vick in every thread nowadays right?)

But really, I would be happy with any of the "second tier" QB's. Colt, Pike, Lefevour, and yes even.... Timmy Tebow, if thats who DeSpags decides to roll with.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Colt in the 2nd is an excellent choice I'd have zero problems with. A lot of "scouts" bash him for not having accuracy on deep throws but look at the Superbowl. How many throws went over 20 yards in the air?

The issue is that you can't expect Colt to walk in and play like Peyton Manning. Colt is going to show up and he's going to play like Drew Brees did when he showed up in San Diego.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Colt in the 2nd is an excellent choice I'd have zero problems with. A lot of "scouts" bash him for not having accuracy on deep throws but look at the Superbowl. How many throws went over 20 yards in the air?

The issue is that you can't expect Colt to walk in and play like Peyton Manning. Colt is going to show up and he's going to play like Drew Brees did when he showed up in San Diego.
    I'm perfectly fine with that. This organization is in no position to start a rookie QB and expect good things to happen.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

So what happens if C. McCoy goes in the first round, say, to team like Minnesota? I kinda doubt anyone here would advocate taking Pike or Lefevre with the 33rd pick, would they?

I had Suh at the top of my mock draft earlier, but, at this point, I'm really starting to look at Bradford as the guy. Only question is do we risk a trade down with Tampa and chance missing out on both Bradford or Suh.

Oh well, that's why they pay Billy the big money!

WHAT SAY YE?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    So what happens if C. McCoy goes in the first round, say, to team like Minnesota? I kinda doubt anyone here would advocate taking Pike or Lefevre with the 33rd pick, would they?

I had Suh at the top of my mock draft earlier, but, at this point, I'm really starting to look at Bradford as the guy. Only question is do we risk a trade down with Tampa and chance missing out on both Bradford or Suh.

Oh well, that's why they pay Billy the big money!

WHAT SAY YE?
    How much of a reach would LeFervour be? (ie, what would he command contract-wise vs. a 3rd round pick?)

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

I'm coooooool with it.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The problem is that LeFevour, Pike and Zac Robinson all had decent showings in the Senior Bowl that could elevate their draft status. If they keep rising then we may have to take them at the top of the second

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Am I the only one who doesn't like Colt? IMO he has bust written all over him. He isn't a big guy and has a weak arm. Just because he was successful in a spread O in collage doesn't necessarily mean it will transfer over into success in the Pros. I know you could say that about every QB but I'm talking more about players like Smith in San Fran and Linehert with Arizona. If we are going to get a QB who we need to develop what's wrong with keeping Null? If we were planning on drafting a developmental QB this year why did we draft him last year?

I also have another thing to point out, remember when the redskins signed Albert Haynesworth and everyone said they would be awesome? and how they weren't? Why would it be any different for the rams this year if we took Suh? If the FO decides to take Suh then they have deemed him the right pick, and i will be behind it because they are WAY more knowledgeable about this stuff then myself, however looking at it through my eyes, i'd rather get a QB in the first with the best case scenario being trade back with tampa for another second round pick and take a QB in the first.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    by Jonathan Maurer Jonathan MaurerContributor

Contributor Written on February 08, 2010

The Rams have the #1 pick in the draft which comes as no surprise to a lot of people. It is pretty clear that the Rams are not gonna pass up on a monster like Ndamukong Suh. But that does not mean that they can't find a franchise QB in the draft. Why? Think about it! Joe Montana went in the 3rd round and won 4 Superbowl's with the *****, Brett Favre went in the 2nd round, Drew Brees who won the Superbowl yesterday was drafted in the second round, Tom Brady went in the 6th round!

I think the future franchise QB for the Rams is Colt McCoy. I actually think Colt McCoy is the next Joe Montana (no joke). Joe Montana came from a famous school in Notre Dame but wasn't really looked at as your prototypical NFL quarterback. But he was still an accurate passer and he was a winner. That is what I see what with Colt McCoy which is an accurate passer and a winner. People doubt him because of his arm but those same people doubted Drew Brees and he won a Superbowl MVP yesterday.

If the Rams do draft Colt McCoy he might not contribute right away. So the Rams should sign Marc Bulger to a two year deal that way Colt Mccoy can develop more. I know there are going to be some that will disagree with me (or a lot who will). But I will stick by my statement until proven wrong. Colt McCoy is the next Joe Montana!
    I totally agree with you. I rather keep Bulger than go after vick or any free agent.