ramhard is offline Registered User

Need Difference Makers Not Fillers

The more I think about this draft, the problem the Rams have had in the past in both FA and the draft is that they go after potential or filling holes rather than impact difference makers. That's why I like this year's FA signings much better than in the past. We don't know whether it will pan out but both Glover and Witherspoon have difference maker potential. I am less excited about Chavous because he is in that 'filler' mode.

Same thing with the draft. I think you err on the side of potential difference makers. Players that have difference maker skill AND who have done it in college.

Saying that, the difference makers for the Rams at the top are (I say for the Rams because while players like Bush or D'Brick might be difference makers for other team they would not be difference makers given the current Rams roster):

1. Mario Williams
    2. AJ Hawk
    3. Michael Huff
    4. Hali Ngata
    5. Vernon Davis

I'd do whatever it takes to get one of these 5. If you're not going to get one of these I'd try hard to trade down.

I've watched Jimmy Williams several times and he may end up being a good corner but he wasn't a difference maker in college... to quote one scout "my concern is that every time I watched him he never stood out and didn't seem to make as many plays as you would think someone with his talent would make when the ball was in his area"

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Need Difference Makers Not Fillers

I would consider adding Broderick Bunkley to that list. He has been climbing the charts this offseason. He doesn't have the size of Ngata, but is stronger and faster. He could be strong enough to play NT in our 3-4 alignment and quick enough to play the rush DT in our 4-3 base.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    I'd do whatever it takes to get one of these 5. If you're not going to get one of these I'd try hard to trade down.
    I'm tending to agree. If you like a guy and you want him, make a move and ensure that you get him. We're at a position now in the first round where we likely will miss out on the kind of players we need as difference makers.

Kind of makes you think. I really don't think I subscribe to the "let's lose games to help our draft status if we're out of the playoffs" mentality, but imagine where we'd be if we hadn't beaten the Cowboys to end the season. We're probably looking at 8th overall instead of 11th.

Sounds like 2003 all over again.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I'm tending to agree. If you like a guy and you want him, make a move and ensure that you get him. We're at a position now in the first round where we likely will miss out on the kind of players we need as difference makers.

Kind of makes you think. I really don't think I subscribe to the "let's lose games to help our draft status if we're out of the playoffs" mentality, but imagine where we'd be if we hadn't beaten the Cowboys to end the season. We're probably looking at 8th overall instead of 11th.

Sounds like 2003 all over again.
    I'll go you one further. If we had lost to Dallas, we'd be 8th. If we had lost to Dallas, and the Houston comeback didn't happen, we'd be #3. And if we lost to Dallas, Houston, and Jax showed up for our game, we'd be picking #2.

Yea, yea, I know, ifs, buts, and coconuts, but still, I'd wouldn't cry over a couple of extra losses if we were sitting in the top 3 right now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard

1. Mario Williams
    2. AJ Hawk
    3. Michael Huff
    4. Hali Ngata
    5. Vernon Davis

"

I agree 100%. I think that we NEED one of these guys on defense.
    I would rather sign a stud and give up a couple of first day picks over the next couple of seasons vs. drafting career backups.... :up:

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I agree except for Vernon Davis?

We need him like a hole in the head. His stock rose from his workouts and workout warriors that move up historically don't turn into real good players. Plus, Good Tight Ends can be had in the 3rd and 4th round.

Hawk
    Huff
    Ngata
    Williams

Will all change our team. I can see Davis taking 2-3 years to excel at the pro level.
    Just in time to be a Free Agent - no thanks.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I agree except for Vernon Davis?

We need him like a hole in the head. His stock rose from his workouts and workout warriors that move up historically don't turn into real good players. Plus, Good Tight Ends can be had in the 3rd and 4th round.

Hawk
    Huff
    Ngata
    Williams

Will all change our team. I can see Davis taking 2-3 years to excel at the pro level.
    Just in time to be a Free Agent - no thanks.

I disagree about Davis and the workout warrior phenomenon. Before the combine, he looked like a very strong choice at 11 based on performance. The combine may have pushed him up a few spots, but it's not like his actions on the field weren't impressive. The highlight reels that have been circulating are pretty spectacular. I'll agree with you that there are other good TEs available further down in the draft, but Davis still ought to be considered a top candidate if we have the opportunity to take him.