ramhard is offline Registered User

Never too many QB's

I know people will howl, but if the 4th round came around and the Rams are down to their first compensation pick and QB Andrew Walter is still there I'd take him. His stock will drop due to his shoulder injury, but he would have been a 1st round choice and at the top before the injury and worth the risk. I wouldn't do it earlier than that (too many holes to fill), but if he is still there I'd pull the trigger. I know some people are going to howl about how the Rams need a vet QB to backup Bulger.. (can anyone say Chandler!). I'd go with Smoker as backup this year, grooming Smoker and Walter for either backup or trade back in a few years for a 1st or 2nd round choice. Would also minimize the panic when Bulger's contract runs out in a few years.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Never too many QB's

Quote Originally Posted by Ramhard
    I know people will howl
    Well if they do, they shouldn't. You bring up a valuable point here RH. We don't have a 3rd QB (sorry to the Michna crowd) and I for one don't want to spend veteran money on any QB that would be willing to come on board as a 3rd stringer. I predict an improved OL this year that will allow less dirt on Bulger's back, and Smoker will be more than adequate as a back-up. If we get to the 4th round comp. and there's a good QB there, then why not. I would rather pay 4th round rookie money than vet. minimum to our 3rd stringer. However, I don't think Walter will be there at the end of the 4th, but that won't keep Martz from casting a longing look towards an Arizona St. QB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't disagree entirely, though I'd probably wait until the 5th Round before I'd consider looking at QBs.

One guy who intrigues me is Dan LeFors from Louisville. He's way undersized (about 6'0 and 200 lbs) but has a pretty good arm and is very good at running an offense. He'd probably excel in more of a West Coast style offense, but there's something about that kid that makes me think he might have a bit of success in the NFL.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I don't disagree entirely, though I'd probably wait until the 5th Round before I'd consider looking at QBs.

One guy who intrigues me is Dan LeFors from Louisville. He's way undersized (about 6'0 and 200 lbs) but has a pretty good arm and is very good at running an offense. He'd probably excel in more of a West Coast style offense, but there's something about that kid that makes me think he might have a bit of success in the NFL.
    Matrz would try to convert him into a WR.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I would love it if the Rams took a flyer in the late rounds on Timmy Chang from University of Hawaii.. Timmy set new records for collegiate passing last year. He is about the same size as Stephan Lefors and has good mobility.

http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/Candid...ang/chang.html

GO RAMMS!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MauiRam; -03-28-2005 at 01:39 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sorry... brain freeze! I don't know where I got "Dan" from... its Stefan LeFors. Still like the guy, though (maybe he looks like a "Dan").

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams should do the enevitable and just sign Jamie Martin since they will end up doing it half way through the season anyway. :redface:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

We need some sort of veteran backup. Michna sucks and Smoker has been less than stellar. We're still playing on the crappy turf so Bulger's risk of injury is still there. I don't know how Smoker has done in the offseason stuff so far, but I can't see him coming in to save the day.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions