tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

New draft format can benefit Rams

Previously the draft was held over two days, a Saturday and a Sunday, with last year seeing the first and second rounds on the Saturday and the remaining rounds on the Sunday

This year, the draft takes place over three days. Thursday evening will be the first round, Friday the second and third rounds, and the remaining rounds will be on the Saturday.

Usually between the two days of the draft a team will analyse the players left to pick, analyse those that they have already picked and then re-set their draft board. They may decide that they like one particular player, and go about making trade offers to move up and get him. This is what happened last year between the first and second days of the draft. The New York Jets fell in love with Shonn Greene, and decided that they would have to move up in the draft to take him. The Jets traded their 12th pick in the third round as well as fourth and seventh round picks to move up to the first pick in the third round. Some say this was because the Rams were sure to take Greene if he was still on the board. Its also clear that this trade only happened because the Jets had the night to think on what they wanted with the draft pick.

This year, with the Rams picking at the top of each round, they pick first on all three days. So if a team has fallen in love with a player and wants to grab him, they could definitely offer the Rams a trade. The second round pick, for example, could garner a lot of interest. Last year the Panther and Broncos both traded future first round picks for second rounders, and the Titans and Jaguars both traded future second rounders to New England for third round picks. Picks higher in the draft are certainly a benefit to a rebuilding team like the Rams

Also, there are a couple of QB prospects that may be good choices for the Rams in the second round, but who would be reaches if picked right at the top of round 2 (at the moment), but who likely wouldnt last until the top of round 3. Guys like Tony Pike and Dan LeFevour. The Rams could entertain a trade which involves a move down in round two, picking up maybe a third rounder in the process, and still being able to grab their future QB.

All it takes is a team to think too much overnight, and the Rams could end up with a very good deal on their hands.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: New draft format can benefit Rams

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Previously the draft was held over two days, a Saturday and a Sunday, with last year seeing the first and second rounds on the Saturday and the remaining rounds on the Sunday

This year, the draft takes place over three days. Thursday evening will be the first round, Friday the second and third rounds, and the remaining rounds will be on the Saturday.

Usually between the two days of the draft a team will analyse the players left to pick, analyse those that they have already picked and then re-set their draft board. They may decide that they like one particular player, and go about making trade offers to move up and get him. This is what happened last year between the first and second days of the draft. The New York Jets fell in love with Shonn Greene, and decided that they would have to move up in the draft to take him. The Jets traded their 12th pick in the third round as well as fourth and seventh round picks to move up to the first pick in the third round. Some say this was because the Rams were sure to take Greene if he was still on the board. Its also clear that this trade only happened because the Jets had the night to think on what they wanted with the draft pick.

This year, with the Rams picking at the top of each round, they pick first on all three days. So if a team has fallen in love with a player and wants to grab him, they could definitely offer the Rams a trade. The second round pick, for example, could garner a lot of interest. Last year the Panther and Broncos both traded future first round picks for second rounders, and the Titans and Jaguars both traded future second rounders to New England for third round picks. Picks higher in the draft are certainly a benefit to a rebuilding team like the Rams

Also, there are a couple of QB prospects that may be good choices for the Rams in the second round, but who would be reaches if picked right at the top of round 2 (at the moment), but who likely wouldnt last until the top of round 3. Guys like Tony Pike and Dan LeFevour. The Rams could entertain a trade which involves a move down in round two, picking up maybe a third rounder in the process, and still being able to grab their future QB.

All it takes is a team to think too much overnight, and the Rams could end up with a very good deal on their hands.
    Good point, sir!

I'd probably still take Shon Greene over D'Andre Levy, Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, and I'd bet that given the opportunity, Detroit would have as well.

I saw Jhavid Best mocked to our fair franchise here at Clanram the other day. There's a back I'll bet Spagnuolo would love to get his hands on.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Good point, sir!

I'd probably still take Shon Greene over D'Andre Levy, Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, and I'd bet that given the opportunity, Detroit would have as well.

I saw Jhavid Best mocked to our fair franchise here at Clanram the other day. There's a back I'll bet Spagnuolo would love to get his hands on.
    Levy isnt bad for Detroit, in fact he is set to be their starting Middle linebacker this upcoming season. Hill was a contributor at the DT spot during his rookie year. So it might not be a totally one sided trade between the Jets and Lions, especially if you remember that Detroit probably didnt need an RB with Kevin Smith there.

Best would definitely work for me. To be honest im thinking that we have holes all over this team, just as long as we draft someone at each spot that isnt a reach or a project then we should come out of the draft fine

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I've been thinking about this for quite some time myself. I think it's a blessing in disguise. Another thing to bear in mind is that we also acquired a pretty decent looking player (Robinson) by swapping picks with Atlanta just last year. With teams holding onto several would be RFA's maybe there are deals to be had once again by swapping draft spots.

richtree is offline Registered User

I agree that we may be able to trade down a few spots and still get our pick as we may have a grasp at who the bucs/lions/skins may be after.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Good point. There definitely could be an advantage to having several hours before making the selections at the top of Round 2 and Round 4 (both in terms of trade talks and evaluating the remaining players).

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Im dieng for this draft to happen.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Im dieng for this draft to happen.

yeah, me too...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Can the Rams technically sign their 1st and 33rd pick prior to the draft days? In other words, once the first round selections are complete can we start negotiating with eligible players?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams