Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,582
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    Currently, i cant see Vick going anywhere but Buffalo

    They signed Terrell Owens to put fans in the seats, and showed they arent afraid to take a risk on a player. They have come out recently and said that if they do bring a QB in, he has to have arm strength, which Vick has compared to incumbent starter Ryan Fitzpatrick


  2. #32
    TheRammer Guest

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if the Rams pulled the trigger on that. Disappointed, yes. But not shocked. Furthermore, I really think that, if the Rams add Vick to this roster, all this talk about the Four Pillars and character being so important becomes just a lot of hot air. You can say what you want about the guy being reformed, and second chances are great. But you can't take rookies off of your draft board for drug related incidents or felony convictions only to turn around and sign Michael Vick. And my aversion to Vick really doesn't have much to do with his off-the-field issues, but I just don't see how they reconcile those things if they do in fact acquire Vick.
    I listened to a radio edit of a Devaney interveiw and he says they have enough character guys in the locker room now that they could take someone like Vick or who has had a little problems and his surrounding cast would be enough to ensure he would suceed in their enviroment..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    sometimes the close mindedness on this board staggers me. What happens if the Rams bring Vick in to camp and he shows out and beats every other quarterback for the job? Rams still stupid and foolish? are will you actualy give the guy a chance to show something. Only the fool judges before he has knowledge. Ill reserve my judgment of Vick until I see him play again. Fact is, We haven't seen enough of Vick to make a good enough assessment so id like to see more of it.

    Give me all the "I'm stupid" comments you like but in all honesty, what in the blue hell do we and the rams have to lose by getting a first hand observation of what the guy has. If the guy can't outrun Spags in a race and throws the ball to the guy picking his nose on the sideline every other play then perhaps obviously he doesn't have it and isn't what we're looking for.

    If he gets out there with speed, a big arm, and proficiency running the offense then what?
    I agree if we do pick him up and beats everyone in camp we have without a doubt we should start him. I also agree with your assesment of people being closeminded, some people are so ignorant on this board it's dumbfounding, obviously they have no experience in any business sense and probably have only had some dead beat type of job and can't see past the burger and the spatchula they flip it with...

  3. #33
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    I listened to a radio edit of a Devaney interveiw and he says they have enough character guys in the locker room now that they could take someone like Vick or who has had a little problems and his surrounding cast would be enough to ensure he would suceed in their enviroment..
    I listened to and summarized that same interview...

    Billy Devaney on ESPN 101

    ...and, assuming we're talking about the same interview, that's not quite an accurate description of what was said.

    When he spoke about having a strong enough locker room to take a chance on a guy, he was talking specifically about rookies and how the Rams may not remove as many guys from their board this year because of character issues. While guys who had a minor incident as a freshman or something may slide, he said they weren't going to screw around with players with multiple failed drug tests or time spent in jail.

    He said the Rams have to do their due diligence on everyone, including veteran quarterbacks who have had their issues in the past. The only people in the interview that referenced Vick were the hosts; Devaney would not go there because he wouldn't talk about veterans under contract.

    But again, my point is if you're going to take a stand on character, and expect to be taken seriously, you can't remove rookies from your draft board because they spent time in jail only to turn around and sign a veteran like Michael Vick.

  4. #34
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,298
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    Quote Originally Posted by braledore
    its quite possible he can be a viable starting option so we can win sum games next year
    And what in the past 4 years leads you to believe this?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  5. #35
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,298
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    Quote Originally Posted by a Vick proponent
    I also agree with your assesment of people being closeminded, some people are so ignorant on this board it's dumbfounding, obviously they have no experience in any business sense and probably have only had some dead beat type of job and can't see past the burger and the spatchula they flip it with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Jacques Rousseau
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
    Sooner or later, you're going to have to present some facts to make your argument. Insults are only going to get you so far.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  6. #36
    3STL9's Avatar
    3STL9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    I dont understand whats wrong with giving Vick a chance. Like someone earlier in this thread said, the closemindness on this board is crazy sometimes. I feel like most people here who dont want him, don't want him because they dont like him as a person.

    And everyone deserves second chances

  7. #37
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,101
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    FYI -- On February 2, 2010, cable network BET will premiere a 10-episode documentary series called "The Michael Vick Project." It will feature Vick attempting to come to terms with his dogfighting past.

  8. #38
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    Quote Originally Posted by 3STL9 View Post
    I dont understand whats wrong with giving Vick a chance. Like someone earlier in this thread said, the closemindness on this board is crazy sometimes. I feel like most people here who dont want him, don't want him because they dont like him as a person.

    And everyone deserves second chances
    This "closedminded" retort is not only inaccurate but it's bordering on a personal attack.

    The nature of debate is that people have opinions. Someone having an opinion that you disagree with doesn't make them closedminded anymore than you are for not agreeing with them.

    It's not closedminded to not want a guy whom you don't think is very good or can't significantly help your team. Nor is it closedminded to not want a guy whose signing would significantly damage this team's credibility when they talk about character or the Four Pillars standard that they hold other players and rookies to.

    To those that would argue it is closedminded to not give Vick a chance, then by that logic you must be in favor of giving every single available player a chance, right? I guess the Rams should also give Daunte Culpepper, Charlie Frye, Rex Grossman, Joey Harrington, and Jon Kitna a chance to, just to avoid being closedminded.

    Obviously that's ridiculous, because there are some guys whom I'm sure you and others feel cannot significantly help this team and you're not interested in. That's how many fans feel about Vick, yet for some reason they're called closedminded.

    The accusation is simply flawed, and in all honesty, pretty disappointing as well.

  9. #39
    3STL9's Avatar
    3STL9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This "closedminded" retort is not only inaccurate but it's bordering on a personal attack.

    The nature of debate is that people have opinions. Someone having an opinion that you disagree with doesn't make them closedminded anymore than you are for not agreeing with them.

    It's not closedminded to not want a guy whom you don't think is very good or can't significantly help your team. Nor is it closedminded to not want a guy whose signing would significantly damage this team's credibility when they talk about character or the Four Pillars standard that they hold other players and rookies to.

    To those that would argue it is closedminded to not give Vick a chance, then by that logic you must be in favor of giving every single available player a chance, right? I guess the Rams should also give Daunte Culpepper, Charlie Frye, Rex Grossman, Joey Harrington, and Jon Kitna a chance to, just to avoid being closedminded.

    Obviously that's ridiculous, because there are some guys whom I'm sure you and others feel cannot significantly help this team and you're not interested in. That's how many fans feel about Vick, yet for some reason they're called closedminded.

    The accusation is simply flawed, and in all honesty, pretty disappointing as well.
    I guess i can appreciate that point of view..but in many posts, i have seen other people...Where you can easily tell its closemindess and nothing to do with if it will help our team or not

  10. #40
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,025
    Rep Power
    164

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    This thread started with a claim of "new" information when, in fact, there is none.

    Now, its become a thread of borderline namecalling.

    The end.

  11. #41
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,298
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: New Michael Vick (source: Jim Thomas St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    I dont understand whats wrong with giving Vick a chance.
    Quite simple really. He hasn't been a starting QB in 4 years. When he was a starting QB, he relied on his speedy legs to make up for his inaccurate arm, poor decision skills, and reported refusal to learn the playbook. The problem........at 30 those legs are going to be what they were. Thirty year old QBs that are successful do it because they have good decision making skills and are very accurate (Favre, Warner, Manning, etc.). Vick does not possess those traits.

    And while $3.5 million is not a lot for a true starting QB, it's quite a chunk of change to give a gimmick reclamation project.

    P.S. Please note.......nowhere in my objections have I made reference to dogfighting.

    the closemindness on this board is crazy sometimes. I feel like most people here who dont want him, don't want him because they dont like him as a person.

    And everyone deserves second chances
    Reading comprehension has taken quite a beating of late as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live - January 12, 2010
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
  2. Thomas Finds Fit At Home
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
  3. Jim Thomas Live w/Kevin Demoff 7-21
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live 4/7/09
    By evil disco man in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
  5. Jim Thomas Live: 12/11/07
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •