39thebeast is offline Registered User

A new perspecitve on Crabtree

Via Matt McGuires NFL Blog on walterfootball.com

Posted Feb. 17, 2009

Crabtree Not Elite

The cliche thing to do on big boards is put Michael Crabtree as the top dawg in the 2009 NFL Draft.

This is something I just could not disagree more with, and when I see the same cliché opinions everywhere, I have no problem calling it out when I do not see eye-to-eye.

Crabtree is a very good receiver. I am not saying he is not worthy of a top-10 pick; just that he has some weaknesses in his game that do not put him near Calvin Johnson's level coming out of Georgia Tech.

In fact, I gave Crabtree a 4.5-star, top-eight grade.

Now you are saying, "Stop beating around the bush, why is Crabtree not elite?"

I feel like the biggest issue surrounding Crabtree is he never ran pro routes at Texas Tech. Most of what he did was within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and a lot of his production was generated after the catch. He mainly ran screens and crossing routes at Texas Tech; rarely deep comebacks, speed outs, or deep posts. Route running, in my opinion, is so important for the wide receiver position, and therefore I do not think he is elite.

He has the capability to do it in the NFL, but he never had the opportunity to do it at Texas Tech. With those doubts, I have to drop Crabtree slightly on my big board.

Another issue with Crabtree is he struggles to separate from press man and off man coverage. He generates yards after the catch, but he does seem to lack explosion off the line of scrimmage and coming out of his breaks. This is legitimized when it was reported that Crabtree does not plan to run the 40 yard dash at the Combine.

Granted, Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice have become elite NFL receivers despite 4.6 speed, but there are so many receivers that have busted who did lack this important skill. I do not think this is nearly as important as his route running, but it is a weakness nonetheless. Fitz might have had similar athleticism coming out of Pittsburgh, but he also ran elite routes. Crabtree has not.

Lastly, a somewhat famous draft analyst in Mobile told me he has spoken with Crabtree, and Crabtree does not come across as the sharpest tool in the shed. If intelligence is a concern, it will be seen in interviews at the Combine.

When a receiver does not run elite routes and has speed concerns, then it is a joke to me when people talk about him as the top player in the 2009 NFL Draft. He is very good, but let's stop it with the Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson comparisons.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Re: A new perspecitve on Crabtree

He's nowhere near calvin johnson, i agree.
    But there is no doubt in my mind that he is the best WR in this draft

Dominating D is offline Registered User

In fact, I gave Crabtree a 4.5-star, top-eight grade.

Who are you? May I see your credentials please...

I feel like the biggest issue surrounding Crabtree is he never ran pro routes at Texas Tech. Most of what he did was within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and a lot of his production was generated after the catch. He mainly ran screens and crossing routes at Texas Tech; rarely deep comebacks, speed outs, or deep posts. Route running, in my opinion, is so important for the wide receiver position, and therefore I do not think he is elite.

So to sum it up your saying the guy must be really talented cause he did all that with only a 9 iron and a 7 iron. Imagine what the guy can do with a full bag of clubs!!!

Another issue with Crabtree is he struggles to separate from press man and off man coverage. He generates yards after the catch, but he does seem to lack explosion off the line of scrimmage and coming out of his breaks. This is legitimized when it was reported that Crabtree does not plan to run the 40 yard dash at the Combine.

Really, then would you like to explain how he had so many receptions if he struggled to seperate?

Lastly, a somewhat famous draft analyst in Mobile told me he has spoken with Crabtree, and Crabtree does not come across as the sharpest tool in the shed. If intelligence is a concern, it will be seen in interviews at the Combine.

Do you believe everything you hear or read? If so, I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona are you interested?

When a receiver does not run elite routes and has speed concerns, then it is a joke to me when people talk about him as the top player in the 2009 NFL Draft. He is very good, but let's stop it with the Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson comparisons.

Who in college runs elite routes? Speed concerns yet the guy catches the ball and gets plenty of YAC. He is every bit as talented coming out of college as Calvin and Andre. You may not agree but you failed to prove he is not...

Last edited by Dominating D; -02-17-2009 at 09:55 PM.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Hey dominating d, chill out.
    i'm pretty sure that the poster of this thread was posting someone else's blog not his own opinion.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

So to sum it up your saying the guy must be really talented cause he did all that with only a 9 iron and a 7 iron. Imagine what the guy can do with a full bag of clubs!!!

I don't know. I think the bigger question is whether he has a full set of clubs.

Really, then would you like to explain how he had so many receptions if he struggled to seperate?

1. Quick timing patterns.

2. (Said as someone who watches the Big XII) Big XII defenses suck. Especially against the pass.

Who in college runs elite routes? Speed concerns yet the guy catches the ball and gets plenty of YAC. He is every bit as talented coming out of college as Calvin and Andre. You may not agree but you failed to prove he is not...

Does the Rams' offensive philosophy emphasize YAC? It hasn't under the last couple of guys. If the Rams still end up teaching "catch and fall", is Crabtree really worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post

I don't know. I think the bigger question is whether he has a full set of clubs.

1. Quick timing patterns.

2. (Said as someone who watches the Big XII) Big XII defenses suck. Especially against the pass.

Does the Rams' offensive philosophy emphasize YAC? It hasn't under the last couple of guys. If the Rams still end up teaching "catch and fall", is Crabtree really worth it?
    Good Job. Pretty funny stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    i'm pretty sure that the poster of this thread was posting someone else's blog not his own opinion.
    Your absolutely right. I did miss that....But the questions are still relevant

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I've been to this walterfootball.com blog a few times and everytime i go to it, it seems like the guy has no clue what he is talkng about. I believe he called for the Rams to take Vernan Gholsten last draft what a joke that would of been...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I've been to this walterfootball.com blog a few times and everytime i go to it, it seems like the guy has no clue what he is talkng about. I believe he called for the Rams to take Vernan Gholsten last draft what a joke that would of been...
    I think Gholston may have been more productive on a 4-3 team, because he was a 4-3 end. The Jets made him play as an outside rush linebacker in their 3-4, and Gholston never really adjusted to it.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The main reason he says Crabtree isn't elite is because of route running. Yet he acknowledges that Crabtree "has the capability to do it in the NFL, but he never had the opportunity to do it." So the problem isn't that he can't run pro routes or doesn't run them well, but rather than he just didn't have the opportunity to do so within that offense. That seems to me like a pretty strange reason to lower a guy's grade, especially when you acknowledge he has the capability of doing what you're marking him down for.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. I just wanted to see what people though about it. It looks like Dominating D will be putting a bounty on his head and all other Crabtree haters

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. I just wanted to see what people though about it. It looks like Dominating D will be putting a bounty on his head and all other Crabtree haters
    My wish list on draft day

#1 Rams trade down and select a top LT Monroe, Smith plus extra picks
    #2 Rams select Curry
    #3 Rams select Crabtree

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I agree with you about Walter from walterfootball.com but the guy who wrote this article, Matt, is actually pretty bright. He seems to have a good understanding of what our team needs. Walter on the other hand seems to have a great hate for the rams and everything the team is. He continually slams us for drafting Avery, even after his solid rookie season. Instead of saying he was a good pick he says stuff like "more teams should draft players based only on their 40 times" If you need proof take a look at his off season needs page for the rams: WalterFootball.com: 2009 NFL Offseason Page - St. Louis Rams - Team Needs, Season Preview, Free Agents, Salary Cap