• 3 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: The New Rookie Scale and FA

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The New Rookie Scale and FA

Here is what the 16th and 22nd picks in the 2012 draft received:

#16: Quinton Couples - 4 years, $8.8M
    #22: Brandon Weeden - 4 years, $8.1M

When you look at these numbers, and consider that the Rams will have two more first round picks in 2014, you can understand why the Rams will be unlikely to pursue too many high priced FAs.

In the case of a guy like Danny Amendola, for example, do you really pay FA money when you could have a Tavon Austin or Robert Woods for less than half the money in Rounds 1 or 2 of the draft?

Do you pay William Hayes starter money when you could have a suitable replacement at the "5th DL" spot for a fraction of the price?

Do you pursue any FA who is not a Pro Bowl level performer, or do you continue the youth movement, even if it takes a bit longer?

The economics of FA have changed drastically. In my mind, the Rams should probably try to find one top player to fill a clear need spot in FA, and leave the rest for the draft.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: The New Rookie Scale and FA

Gotta love the new rookie wage scale! Too bad Bradford wasn't a part of the new scale. Imagine if we cleared his 80 million dollar contract down to 24 million? His cap hit would probably drop from 14 million to 5-ish.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Do you pay William Hayes starter money when you could have a suitable replacement at the "5th DL" spot for a fraction of the price?

The economics of FA have changed drastically. In my mind, the Rams should probably try to find one top player to fill a clear need spot in FA, and leave the rest for the draft.
    Why do you assume William Hayes will get starter money? He's rotational player thus far and remember we only have to fund his pay above what he's currently earning. Meaning if he's paid 1 million and we want to give him a raise to 1.5 million, we only have to fund the .5 because the 1 million is already factored into our cap, if I understand the arithmetic of the cap. I could be wrong, if so please correct me.

As for that 1 FA, as stated in your Mock thread, I would like William Moore at safety. If we cut Mikell, it gives us some experience back there and I'm guessing Jeff would want that. We could draft another safety as this is a good one for safeties.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Why do you assume William Hayes will get starter money? He's rotational player thus far and remember we only have to fund his pay above what he's currently earning. Meaning if he's paid 1 million and we want to give him a raise to 1.5 million, we only have to fund the .5 because the 1 million is already factored into our cap, if I understand the arithmetic of the cap. I could be wrong, if so please correct me.
    My guess is that he won't get starters money from the Rams, but given the year he had (35 tackles and 7 sacks as a rotation player) and his age (27), it would not surprise me if some other team were to offer him starter's money. The Rams would then have to decide whether to get into a bidding war.

As for that 1 FA, as stated in your Mock thread, I would like William Moore at safety. If we cut Mikell, it gives us some experience back there and I'm guessing Jeff would want that. We could draft another safety as this is a good one for safeties.
    Moore would be a good pick-up. I also like Erin Henderson as a possible acquisition at SLB.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I also like Erin Henderson as a possible acquisition at SLB.
    You may be right about Henderson, whom I know little to nothing about, but I'm sure he's good. he plays for the Vikings, right? My only concern about that is that I once read OLB's are not that highly valued in the 43 defense.

I am not a big advocate of FA as you wind up overpaying for players see Courtland Finnegan for us last year. I know he played an important role during the season, but $50 million. I don't know what the guarantee is as that's the key number. But it's crazy unless you get that missing piece that gets you to the Super Bowl.

Go Rams!

Finnegan I think was a special case. He was brought in not only for what he does on the field, but also because he was viewed as a guy who could really "sell" the Jeff Fisher scheme on defense and serve as a role model for the type of toughness Fisher wants his players to have.
    Rammed likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Unless the Rams can magically acquire more top draft picks again, their ability to acquire talent via the draft is limited to what they already have allotted to spend. The only other option for their salary cap space is free agency or resign their current players. Choosing to spend less in free agency doesn't equate to more draft opportunities.

The key to the draft is to acquire the greatest overall talent possible. If you draft to fill needs, the only way you'll achieve this goal is by pure luck that need and talent available match up when you are picking. Last year people wanted the Rams to pick Rueben Randle in the second because he fit an immediate need of a starting WR. That's picking lesser talent to fill a short term need. Longer term that strategy will deliver less talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Unless the Rams can magically acquire more top draft picks again, their ability to acquire talent via the draft is limited to what they already have allotted to spend. The only other option for their salary cap space is free agency or resign their current players. Choosing to spend less in free agency doesn't equate to more draft opportunities.
    You've missed the point. Nobody is saying the Rams should not use whatever cap space they have. Rather, the question of what constitutes an "overpriced FA" has to be reevaluated when there is such a huge disparity between the price of first round draft picks and quality FAs. My point is, don't spend a ton of money on a single player unless he is an upper-tier player.

The key to the draft is to acquire the greatest overall talent possible. If you draft to fill needs, the only way you'll achieve this goal is by pure luck that need and talent available match up when you are picking. Last year people wanted the Rams to pick Rueben Randle in the second because he fit an immediate need of a starting WR. That's picking lesser talent to fill a short term need. Longer term that strategy will deliver less talent.
    What does this have to do with this discussion? Nobody said anything about drafting for need only.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The new rookie scale is great but the Rams need to sign a good receiver at some point in free agency because I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season with Austin Pettis as the most experienced receiver on the team and be forced to rely on Quick, Givens and a rookie to regularly get open for Sam. Either pay for DA and draft someone who can play out wide or sign Wallace, Jennings or Bowe and draft Tavon Austin. Also, having this many good draft picks and rooting for a team that is no longer the worst in the league makes the offseason 1000 times better.