Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: NFL.com: Tavon Austin, Star Lotulelei top NFL Draft's overrated prospects

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: NFL.com: Tavon Austin, Star Lotulelei top NFL Draft's overrated prospects

I don't see all this explosiveness or ability to score every time he touches the ball. His TD numbers aren't overwhelming nor is his average per reception. Don't fall in love with a guy's highlight reel.
    lostsoul and citr92 like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    So does that mean we should stray away from players who could possibly lead the league in all-purpose yards? Of course not, that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?. Me thinks so.

So point taken but retorted.

Besides, we're talking about an undrafted rookie vs a potential top ten pick here.

Not to take anything away from Danny, but there has to be some difference in ability, doesn't it?

Put Austin in Danny's role on this Ram team, and they instantly become more dynamic, more explosive, and some of those short passes that were 10,15,20 yards to Amendola, suddenly become 30 and 40 yard gains with Austin. Some even ending up in the endzone. That to me, is a huge difference.
    But you asked what's not top ten about a guy who could potentially lead the league in all-purpose yards, and Danny DID lead the league in all-purpose yards. Why then do you dismiss Danny with a wave while hyping up Austin? Danny did do exactly what you said Austin might do. I agree Austin appears more dynamic, certainly at the college level, but Amendola already did what makes you excited about Austin. Were you angry when a player who could, and did, lead the league in all purpose yards left? Based on Amendola's career, would he be a top ten pick now?

He's electric, but short?:eek: Wow.......not sure what that means, but for what it's worth, he's taller than Darren Sproles.

Everybody on given team is a "role player", because no one player can do diddly squat without his teammates. Even if he's labeled the #1 WR. If he doesn't do his part, the team suffers. So point taken, but retorted.
    Being electric means he can be dynamic with the ball in his hands. Being short means it is harder to get the ball in his hands. There is no denying the connection between receiver height and ability to go up and get a ball.

Also, yes, everyone is a "role" player if you want to get extremely literal with the term. You knew exactly what I meant.

And finally, it is an O-coordinators job to design plays. That's what he does for a living. So I doubt that Schottenheimer would be doing anything out of the ordinary.

But If he should have a problem designing plays for a player of Austin's ability, then perhaps he should give up his post.

Besides, players like Austin are who really make coordinators look like geniuses.
    Of course he can design plays, I didn't question that. I questioned the logic in using a #16 pick or trading up for a player who can't just enter an offense, but has to have an offense designed around him in order to properly use him.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I really don't understand how anyone can question Austin. He's lights out. He's as bright as a prospect as you'll find (on AND off the field).

The only question I have about Austin (not even really about Austin) is: Is Schotty smart enough to use him? If so, grab Austin with no regrets.

THE DREAM TEAM

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I really don't understand how anyone can question Austin.
    Because not everyone sees a pinata waiting to burst open and shower everyone with delicious touchdowns. Some people see Ted Ginn Jr. (even though Ginn had a higher average reception).

The dude is like a slot machine. Sure it hits sometimes but mostly you're just sticking quarters in an praying.

To me it's this: Would you rather have a guy who can get 15 yards per catch consistently or someone who gets 6-8 and MAYBE breaks a 40 yarder now and then?

Edit: And for the record - it's not about questioning Austin. It's questioning people's expectations of what he actually bring.
    Last edited by DE_Ramfan; -04-15-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I really don't understand how anyone can question Austin. He's lights out. He's as bright as a prospect as you'll find (on AND off the field).

The only question I have about Austin (not even really about Austin) is: Is Schotty smart enough to use him? If so, grab Austin with no regrets.
    Remember Aaron Curry? There is no such thing as a guarantee with prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Because not everyone sees a pinata waiting to burst open and shower everyone with delicious touchdowns. Some people see Ted Ginn Jr. (even though Ginn had a higher average reception).

The dude is like a slot machine. Sure it hits sometimes but mostly you're just sticking quarters in an praying.

To me it's this: Would you rather have a guy who can get 15 yards per catch consistently or someone who gets 6-8 and MAYBE breaks a 40 yarder now and then?

Edit: And for the record - it's not about questioning Austin. It's questioning people's expectations of what he actually bring.
    Ted Ginn? I see no Ted Ginn. I like Austin as a player who can line up all over the field and get 20 touches a game easily. He's a weapon that we desperately need. That's all I see it as.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Remember Aaron Curry? There is no such thing as a guarantee with prospects.
    I never said he was a guarantee at all.. I just said he's a bright player on AND especially off the field.

THE DREAM TEAM

I never said he was a guarantee at all.. I just said he's a bright player on AND especially off the field.
    You asked how anyone could question him. If he isn't a guarantee, then he can be questioned. I've never disputed that he has talent, but to be on topic with this thread, I do feel like he's being overrated by some. He has legitimate question marks that can't be ignored. Just personally, I wouldn't want him at 16, there are too many questions I have regarding his ability to truly make an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    You asked how anyone could question him. If he isn't a guarantee, then he can be questioned. I've never disputed that he has talent, but to be on topic with this thread, I do feel like he's being overrated by some. He has legitimate question marks that can't be ignored. Just personally, I wouldn't want him at 16, there are too many questions I have regarding his ability to truly make an impact.
    That's fair. I'd be pleased with any of the WR's, seeing as we have a massive need there (well not any, but many). In order to be exact:

1) DeAndre Hopkins
    2) Cordarrelle Patterson
    3) Tavon Austin
    And from here on out its a battle between Keenan Allen, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Justin Hunter.

THE DREAM TEAM

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa39rams View Post
    That's fair. I'd be pleased with any of the WR's, seeing as we have a massive need there (well not any, but many). In order to be exact:

1) DeAndre Hopkins
    2) Cordarrelle Patterson
    3) Tavon Austin
    And from here on out its a battle between Keenan Allen, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Justin Hunter.
    Excellent names for sure! I would like to add one more candidate here...

4) Ryan Swope, Ryan 'Amendola' Swope.

...[Swope is] 6' 205, and plays with good balance, strength, and explosion. He played running back in high school, being named All State in Texas, and that shows with his run after the catch ability.

His eye popping 4.34 40 yard dash at the combine surprised some, but he had a very good overall day running all the drills. His vertical was 37' and his broad jump was 125', and he knocked out 16 reps on the bench. His college production was outstanding, and he should hear his named called anywhere between the 3rd and 4th rounds.

He's 6' 205, and plays with good balance, strength, and explosion. He played running back in high school, being named All State in Texas, and that shows with his run after the catch ability.

His eye popping 4.34 40 yard dash at the combine surprised some, but he had a very good overall day running all the drills. His vertical was 37' and his broad jump was 125', and he knocked out 16 reps on the bench. His college production was outstanding, and he should hear his named called anywhere between the 3rd and 4th rounds.
    By Lester Wiltfong Jr.
    Windy City Gridiron
    April 14, 2013
    sosa39rams likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

It seems much easier to pair K.Allen, Patterson, or Hunter with a Round 3 or 4 or 5th of Swope, Mellette, Vernon, Wheton, or Hamilton....etc....

I would rather that pairing ^^^ than Austin and any other WR in Round 4 ---

I hope if we take Austin we pair up another WR early

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I don't see all this explosiveness or ability to score every time he touches the ball. His TD numbers aren't overwhelming nor is his average per reception. Don't fall in love with a guy's highlight reel.
    My guess is, you see every bit of the explosiveness everybody talks about when referring to Tavon Austin.

Anybody with his speed and open field running ability is a threat to go all the way, everytime he touches the ball. And you don't have to a high football IQ to see that.

Of course he's not going to, because nobody does.

But the ability is clearly there.

You know it, I know it, we all know it.
    RealRam likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The argument as I see it becomes not whether Austin is a good player, but whether he's a good player for us right now. I think we need more help on the outside rather than the inside where Austin will play. I was surprised to read that Chris Givens had the majority of his receptions on the inside. So with that plus having Jared Cook inside, we need more receiving help outside. With that in mind I must say Austin may not be the best choice for us. If I were making the selection, it would be Keenan Allen, hands down.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I was surprised to read that Chris Givens had the majority of his receptions on the inside.
    Where did you read that? Pro Football Focus has 15% of Givens' routes originating from the slot.

I think Cook is a bigger factor in that regard than Givens.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Lets not forget the "Game Changer" that Dexter Mccluster was supposed to be.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Where did you read that? Pro Football Focus has 15% of Givens' routes originating from the slot.

I think Cook is a bigger factor in that regard than Givens.
    I saw the report on Ramblin' Fan in an article on Chris Givens. Even though Givens lined up on the outside he made a high % of catches over the middle. I was surprised to read that.

My preference of Allen over Austin is that Allen is capable of playing inside or outside. That's in addition to the fact that he's thought to have the best hands, great separation ability and precise route running skills, making him very pro-ready. I don't think he's the pick at #16, but rather #22. A very dangerous assumption for many of us, myself included, on this site is that we're banking on Brian Quick becoming the star we hoped he would be when he was selected last year. Let's hope we're right.

Go Rams!
    Nick likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast