Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: NFL.com: Tavon Austin, Star Lotulelei top NFL Draft's overrated prospects

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: NFL.com: Tavon Austin, Star Lotulelei top NFL Draft's overrated prospects

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I saw the report on Ramblin' Fan in an article on Chris Givens. Even though Givens lined up on the outside he made a high % of catches over the middle. I was surprised to read that.

My preference of Allen over Austin is that Allen is capable of playing inside or outside. That's in addition to the fact that he's thought to have the best hands, great separation ability and precise route running skills, making him very pro-ready. I don't think he's the pick at #16, but rather #22. A very dangerous assumption for many of us, myself included, on this site is that we're banking on Brian Quick becoming the star we hoped he would be when he was selected last year. Let's hope we're right.

Go Rams!
    Cool, thanks for the follow-up.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    Lets not forget the "Game Changer" that Dexter Mccluster was supposed to be.
    The most ridiculous thing a GM/Head Coach can do is set up his draft board based on what Dexter McCluster or any other player in the NFL has or hasn't done.

Every player should be evaluated on his own individual merits.
    sosa39rams likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The most ridiculous thing a GM/Head Coach can do is set up his draft board based on what Dexter McCluster or any other player in the NFL has or hasn't done.

Every player should be evaluated on his own individual merits.
    I don't think lostsoul said that as "Snead should look at McCluster and base his decision on that"

It was an example of how a player can look terrifyingly destructive at college, and just be average in the NFL. In particular how a 5'8" 170 pound player who catches balls, takes handoffs, does punt returns, and kick returns, is not guaranteed to be a game changer on offense. Would you be ok if we took Austin at 16 and he just did what McCluster has done?

You speak of Austin like he's this sure thing, a definitive game changer, no one like him before. There have been, and there have been failures and successes. But, there is a reason NFL teams aren't climbing over each other to draft 5'8" players, there is risk. It's much more difficult for a WR to succeed at that height. It just is, no bones about it. Certainly there are exceptions, but then most players Austin's size wouldn't even get a look at the NFL. You have to be special just to be given a chance.

On that note, it's clear that Austin has some special talent, and could be a potential game changer, but let's not just whitewash over the fact that he comes with risk for any team that drafts him.
    mde8352gorams and richtree like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I don't think lostsoul said that as "Snead should look at McCluster and base his decision on that"

It was an example of how a player can look terrifyingly destructive at college, and just be average in the NFL. In particular how a 5'8" 170 pound player who catches balls, takes handoffs, does punt returns, and kick returns, is not guaranteed to be a game changer on offense. Would you be ok if we took Austin at 16 and he just did what McCluster has done?

You speak of Austin like he's this sure thing, a definitive game changer, no one like him before. There have been, and there have been failures and successes. But, there is a reason NFL teams aren't climbing over each other to draft 5'8" players, there is risk. It's much more difficult for a WR to succeed at that height. It just is, no bones about it. Certainly there are exceptions, but then most players Austin's size wouldn't even get a look at the NFL. You have to be special just to be given a chance.

On that note, it's clear that Austin has some special talent, and could be a potential game changer, but let's not just whitewash over the fact that he comes with risk for any team that drafts him.
    From what I've seen (which is all I can base my judgement on), Tavon Austin is the most dynamic playmaker in the draft. And since I believe that playmakers are the Rams #1 need, he's my frontrunner to be drafted with the 16th pick if he's there.

What happens after that remains to be seen. As with every prospect in the draft, all we can do is hope for and equal return on our investment.

They are all risks to varying degrees. That's what the draft is, 7 rounds of risks.

There will no doubt be plenty of players who don't live up to their billing and players that will require more time to develop than others.

There will be players who produce from day 1 and players who don't produce at all.

There will be players who are not who we thought they were and players better than we thought they were.

Afterall, the draft has never been an exact science. If it were, we'd have all the answers.
    berg8309 likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    From what I've seen (which is all I can base my judgement on), Tavon Austin is the most dynamic playmaker in the draft. And since I believe that playmakers are the Rams #1 need, he's my frontrunner to be drafted with the 16th pick if he's there.

What happens after that remains to be seen. As with every prospect in the draft, all we can do is hope for and equal return on our investment.

They are all risks to varying degrees. That's what the draft is, 7 rounds of risks.

There will no doubt be plenty of players who don't live up to their billing and players that will require more time to develop than others.

There will be players who produce from day 1 and players who don't produce at all.

There will be players who are not who we thought they were and players better than we thought they were.

Afterall, the draft has never been an exact science. If it were, we'd have all the answers.
    I think that's fair, but I still think he's over-rated
    mde8352gorams and DE_Ramfan like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

NFL.com: Tavon Austin, Star Lotulelei top NFL Draft's overrated prospects-tavon_austin_map.jpg
    Austin catch chart
    Nick likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

He sure doesn't drop a lot of balls does he. Maybe we should consider Geno Smith.

Go Rams!

richtree is offline Registered User

Geno Smith may end being a nice WCO QB that is solid like Alex Smith --- he must be as good, if not better than Kolb, Palmer, Locker and a few more....

RebelYell is offline Registered User

At article has come out saying Austin scored a 7 on the Wonderlic. Ouch.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    At article has come out saying Austin scored a 7 on the Wonderlic. Ouch.
    Frank Gore scored a 6, but he had a learning disability. I'm wondering if Austin has something like dyslexia. If not, I've read that a score of less than 10 equates to illiteracy. That might make learning a playbook difficult. That said, A.J. Green scored a 10, and he hasn't had any problems producing big time.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

There isn't a direct link between intelligence and performance on the field and a major reason are issues like dyslexia that you mention. Dyslexia doesn't mean a lower IQ. There is I'm guessing a significant link in the risk factor of a prospect turning into a bust if they are actually a low IQ individual. The number isn't half as important as why the number was achieved.

When the Rams drafted Jesse James, rumors swirled really early that he couldn't read. Sort of need to catch those things before a player is drafted.

Rambos is offline Registered User

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports West Virginia WR Tavon Austin scored a seven on his Wonderlic Test at the Combine.
    The Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn has exclusive access to Wonderlic scores each year, and he reveals them for some top wide receivers at the linked article below. Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson registered an 11 out of 50. College teammate Justin Hunter scored a 12. Keenan Allen (19) and Robert Woods (23) were much better. Ultimately, Wonderlic scores have zero correlation to NFL success. Troy Williamson scored a 21, while A.J. Green scored a 10. Redskins busts Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly both scored in the 20s.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123