Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: NFL.com: Vic Carucci's Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanLSUMan View Post
    Ewww....I'd be ok if we got Jake, but I don't think an OL should be wasted with the 2nd pick of the draft. That's just my opinion.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. A potential franchise left tackle who was as dominant as Jake Long was is very much worth the top pick in the draft. Of course there are the Robert Gallery's out there who suck it up and have to move to the right side and then inside, but I don't foresee that happening to Long. The issue that I have with picking up Jake is that it's not an immediate need like we have with our defensive line.

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree. A potential franchise left tackle who was as dominant as Jake Long was is very much worth the top pick in the draft. Of course there are the Robert Gallery's out there who suck it up and have to move to the right side and then inside, but I don't foresee that happening to Long. The issue that I have with picking up Jake is that it's not an immediate need like we have with our defensive line.
    Good post Teke. I couldnt have said it any better.

We have a solid line now that Bell is a part of the squad. Move Incognito to center and Setterstorm to left guard. That would be a decent line up with the rest of the guys there.

I think we need a DE because Little isn't getting any younger, and there is no one on the other side of Little...so...DE is our first pick. Even if it's not Chris Long.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Picking an offensive lineman with the 2nd pick is a waste? Left tackle is probably the 2nd most important position on the field (behind QB).
    Yeah, but it would be a waste to not use the 1st pick on the draft on an impact player. Say Pace and Barron were healthy and effective for a few more seasons? We would be in a bit of a quandary, and then would end up moving Jake inside. I agree with Teke and Mooselini, Little isn't getting any younger, and we need another rusher opposite of him anyhow. DE is our biggest need. I think our line is more solidified with Bell, and since there aren't many great receivers in the FA market, we should take one at the top of the second round and an able linemen in round 3, if we can't get another WR/OL-man. It all comes down to if our line can stay healthy.
    Last edited by prof22693; -03-05-2008 at 09:29 PM.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't see why anyone assumes that a healthy Barron means that Jake Long sits on the bench. #2 is too high for Gholston.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I don't see why anyone assumes that a healthy Barron means that Jake Long sits on the bench. #2 is too high for Gholston.
    It doesn't. We could always move Barron inside, however, he at least has the NFL experience and has dealt with the speed and strength of the pass rushers we'll face before. To start the season it would be safer to have Barron outside and Long inside in that situation, maybe switching as needs come up or Long proves himself.

As for Gholston to high at #2, Mario Williams was too high at #1. Yet he has clicked now, meanwhile Young still isn't an effective pocket passer(but he got them to the playoffs) and Reggie Bush has shown himself to be a change of pace back/slot receiver, and unable to carry the load. Oh, and he also proved himself to be a no good, dirty Trojan cheater too, but I knew that already. The point is, if you have a need(pass rushing Peyton Manning vs having any pass rush whatsoever) sometimes you just go with what you need as opposed to what everyone thinks you need. If Chris Long is gone, and that is still a major if to me, I could be happy with Jake Long or shocking the world and taking Gholston.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by prof
    Say Pace and Barron were healthy and effective for a few more seasons?
    But that would be saying quite a lot wouldn't it?

Pace, healthy? Everybody hangs the "injury-prone" pseudonym on Pisa for missing 12 games the past two years, but Pace has missed 22 in that same time span.

Barron, effective? I'd call him adequate and better than a lot give him credit for, but "effective"......not so much. In fact, IF Jake Long is a Ram, I'd put money on him beating out Barron for the RT spot by week 1.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I don't see why anyone assumes that a healthy Barron means that Jake Long sits on the bench.
    Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner. Barron, healthy or not, means little to Jake Long. By the first week of September, Jake Long will be a better RT than Alex Barron. And don't get me wrong, Barron isn't as bad as some give him discredit for, but Long is better.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

As for Gholston to high at #2, Mario Williams was too high at #1. Yet he has clicked now, meanwhile Young still isn't an effective pocket passer(but he got them to the playoffs) and Reggie Bush has shown himself to be a change of pace back/slot receiver, and unable to carry the load. The point is, if you have a need(pass rushing Peyton Manning vs having any pass rush whatsoever) sometimes you just go with what you need as opposed to what everyone thinks you need. If Chris Long is gone, and that is still a major if to me, I could be happy with Jake Long or shocking the world and taking Gholston.[/quote]

Teke makes a valid point. The draft gurus are always touting value. But in the case of Gholston, if he's the best DE on the board when we select, who will remember years from now if we "reached" to pick him at number 2 when he leads the league in sacks? Sometimes these draft analysts can be misguided. After all, is it not about winning the Super Bowl rather than receiving accolades for a stellar draft. Ask the Patriots if they are happy right now that they were said to have great drafts the past few years or that they were so adept in their Free Agency signings. My humble opinion.

Go Rams!:r

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)