Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

NFL Combine: Biggest Risers/Fallers?

The combine is right around the corner, and nothing is ever the same for fans of the NFL Draft afterwards. Players get re-evaluated, beaten from head to toe and more often than not, the consensus picks in February are proven incorrect.

With this in mind, which player(s) do you think will improve their stock the most at the NFL Combine and which players will see their draft grade fall significantly?

djdeeznutz Guest

Re: NFL Combine: Biggest Risers/Fallers?

Biggert Fallers:
    Micheal Oher: idk what drills they do but if they do the same as the DE his footwork will be exposed in that hurdle type thing.
    BJ Raji: He will still be the 1st DT taken but i think he does bad on the bench press only does about 18 an falls to the Broncos
    Mark Sanchez: Just never understood why he left USC. He will have to throw to different recivers that he will not be comforatable and he will be exposed and drops to the Jets or the Chiefs in the 2nd round
    Everette Brown: idk know why i just got a feeling his 40 time will be 4.8 and really hurt him
    Ron Brace: Finaly gets to leave Raji's shadow. However he fails in the 40 time and get tired during the combine which makes him fall to the 3rd round.
    Rey Malauga: He will clock in close to 5 and push him out of the top 15.
    Andre Smith: His slow feet and big body will just make him do horrible at the athlectic drills that Monroe and J. Smith will excell in.
    Aaron Maybin (falls out of 1st round): He wont have a bad Combine but all the other DE will have a good combine

Biggerst Risers
    Jeremy Maclin (no Crabtree on the 40)
    Percy Harvin (predicting 4.32 on 40)
    Knowshown Moreno (pushes him higher then Beanie Wells)
    Brian Orakpo
    Jarrod Gilbert (pushes him to 1st then becomes Gholston)
    Donald Brown
    Brian Cushing
    James Laurinitis (pushes him over Maluga)
    Jason Smith (sets record for fastest 40 for an OL)
    Eugene Monroe
    Larry English
    Tyson Jackson
    Last edited by djdeeznutz; -02-18-2009 at 07:31 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Players I think will rise:

Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State - strong arm and athleticism will impress scouts.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - will be one of the fastest WRs.

Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly - with his size, a decent 40 time will vault him into top 4 rounds.

Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - will look great in drills. If he does well on the bench, he'll be a clear top 10 pick.

Ron Brace, DT, Boston College - will emerge from Raji's shadow somewhat and show he is one of the stronger players in the draft.

Vontae Davis, CB, lllinois - will show great speed, causing some to question if he might be a better prospect than Jenkins.

Players I think will fall:

Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - in a sense, he has nowhere to go but down. He will be overscrutinized to the point that some will question if he is the best QB in the draft.

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama - his measurements will be a concern, even if he shows good footwork. He could be one of those those "too much analysis" fallers who becomes a bargain in the mid first round.

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas - will likely lose the top DE spot to Everett Brown, who I think will be faster (though not necessarily better).

James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State - won't be as fast or athletic as other LBs, but will outplay them on the field. I actually hope he falls to the Rams in Round 2.

Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon - with his height (I read that he's actually under 6'0), if he does not run a great 40, scouts will conveniently forget about Bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu and label him as "too short." Never mind that for four years in the Pac 10 he averaged over 90 tackles per season.

07McCarthy is offline Registered User

What bout Devin Moore...RB from Wyoming? SPEED

Quote Originally Posted by 07McCarthy View Post
    What about him? Have you seen him play? Do you think he's a good prospect? Tell us why he'd be good for the Rams.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State - won't be as fast or athletic as other LBs, but will outplay them on the field. I actually hope he falls to the Rams in Round 2.
    This pleases me...

Seriously, Top 3 OT/Laurinaitis would be one hell of a draft.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Can anyone explain to me , if BD's low opinion of the 40 dash time is typical of football evaluators, why players don't run in pads & helmets. Hell, make 'em carry the ball.

Is this just a media-driven circus event?

If so, make Miklasz & Co. run one ,too. THAT I would pay to watch.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 07McCarthy View Post
    In my mock drafts ive been puting this guy as our 6th round pick.

What about him? Have you seen him play? Do you think he's a good prospect? Tell us why he'd be good for the Rams.
    AVENGERRAM TAKES ME SERIOUSLY ON THIS ONE!

Devin Moore has great speed. However i dont see how this is anything to do with this thread cuz he is not a combine invite. Eventhough he has good stats im not going to give them cuz i know u hate college stats (lol u just hate when i say Crabtree caught 231 passes).

The guy is 5-10 190 pounds. He has extremly poor size. However he has the speen and the hands. He loves running routes and catching the ball. Which would be great fow the screens we will run in our WCO. Duribilty is an issue thou. He is a nightmare for LBs who cannot catch him and a guy who will humiliate DBs with his special juking abbilities. He is a guy who will find the opening the OL gives him and take it. Another positve is that he doesnt fumble it. Another weakness of Moore that he will not fight for the extra yards, cannot continually take the hits, not good for those short yards, sux at blocking (yea itz even worse than a typical RB) and tries to avoid the bigger lineman.

Are you familiar with Spags old team's running offense? Well if your not the way they did it was they had a 3 RB system. Where Jacobs was the guy who set the pace an blew up defenses with his trucking. den Ward came and got situational yards. Then in the 4th dey put Bradshaw in to run by the bruised (by jacobs) defenses.

We have a Jacobs like RB in S-Jax (however Action Jackson is way better). We also have Brian Leonard who can play Ward's part. And then Moore.

If we decide for a 2 RB system:

Moore is the exact opposite of S-Jax. So he can prove to be a good change of pace back.

So Avenger, Nick what do u think about Devin Moore in the 6th round. Sorry bout the non combine invite in this thread nick. I just want to support Moore (almost like Crabtree lol Avenger).

eldfan is offline Registered User

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama - his measurements will be a concern, even if he shows good footwork. He could be one of those those "too much analysis" fallers who becomes a bargain in the mid first round.

I heard T.M. on ESPN radio say that Andre Smith is not going to do any drills and that his foot work is poor and he did not think he would make a good LT.
    :ramlogo:

So how am I doing so far?

Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State - strong arm and athleticism will impress scouts.

Have not heard much about him, though his 40 time wasn't bad.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - will be one of the fastest WRs.

Nailed that one! 4.30!

Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly - with his size, a decent 40 time will vault him into top 4 rounds.

He ran a 4.57, which should be fast enough with his size to get him in the top 100 picks.

Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - will look great in drills. If he does well on the bench, he'll be a clear top 10 pick.

Another one nailed! His bench was very good (33 reps) and he could be on the Rams' short list.

Ron Brace, DT, Boston College - will emerge from Raji's shadow somewhat and show he is one of the stronger players in the draft.

He did well on the bench (32 reps), but Raji did even better (33 reps).

Vontae Davis, CB, lllinois - will show great speed, causing some to question if he might be a better prospect than Jenkins.

Still waiting on this one.

Players I think will fall:

Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - in a sense, he has nowhere to go but down. He will be overscrutinized to the point that some will question if he is the best QB in the draft.

There has definitely been some questioning of his status, and may believe that Detriot will pass on him.

I think I underestimated this one. He's sinking like a stone after his his non-performance.

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas - will likely lose the top DE spot to Everett Brown, who I think will be faster (though not necessarily better).

Swing and a miss on that one.

Jury's still out.

Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon - with his height (I read that he's actually under 6'0), if he does not run a great 40, scouts will conveniently forget about Bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu and label him as "too short." Never mind that for four years in the Pac 10 he averaged over 90 tackles per season.

Jury's still out.
    Not bad so far, if I do say so myself!