Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: NFL combine: Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson? Pick your flavor

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: NFL combine: Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson? Pick your flavor

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I've said this before, I'm tired of "unrefined"projects with great measurables and potential. Give me the guy who is polished and ready to go. Matthews is that guy.
    Robinson may not be as "polished and ready to go" as Matthews in the passing game, but I definitely think he's the better run-blocker coming out of college. If we were drafting a starting LT for next year I'd probably go with Matthews, but with Jake Long manning that spot I think Robinson would be the better fit at RT. He's a beast in the run game, and after a year to two of good coaching he has the skills to replace Jake Long and be a monster LT in the future.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Robinson may not be as "polished and ready to go" as Matthews in the passing game, but I definitely think he's the better run-blocker coming out of college. If we were drafting a starting LT for next year I'd probably go with Matthews, but with Jake Long manning that spot I think Robinson would be the better fit at RT. He's a beast in the run game, and after a year to two of good coaching he has the skills to replace Jake Long and be a monster LT in the future.
    The idea of drafting Greg Robinson just to put him at the RT spot at #2 in the long run would make me question the Rams scouting department/FO. You use a Top 5 pick at OT to protect a QBs blind spot. I would be worried about Greg Robinson starting at LT Week 1 regardless of combine stats and interviews. The LT spot is meant primarily for reliable pass protectors.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

He's a beast in the run game, and after a year to two of good coaching he has the skills to replace Jake Long and be a monster LT in the future.
    We've gone this route in the past, and it has not worked out well. See Jason Smith and Alex Barron, who were both raw, with supposed huge "upsides" and enormous "potential". Just my opinion, but at this point, with all the turmoil on the OL the last several years, I'm tired of screwing around with "potential". Going with the best chance to get a guy who's "polished and ready to go" is the where we should look.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

We've gone this route in the past, and it has not worked out well. See Jason Smith and Alex Barron, who were both raw, with supposed huge "upsides" and enormous "potential". Just my opinion, but at this point, with all the turmoil on the OL the last several years, I'm tired of screwing around with "potential". Going with the best chance to get a guy who's "polished and ready to go" is the where we should look.
    Further to your point, I think this is a crucial year for the Rams both at key positions (QB) on the field and on the sidelines (coaches), so having a guy ready to go from day 1 will be essential.

Go Rams!
    Mikey likes this.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Give me Matthews every day of the week. He can start day 1 at LT or RT. I have doubts about Long being back day 1, he's a big man who's developing injury problems. Big guys don't go through three years of assorted injuries then all of a sudden get healthy, see Orlando Pace. When and if Long comes back Matthews can slide to RT and is a big upgrade over Barksdale.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Give me the bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, more athletic one with the greater wingspan, if Clowney is gone and we can not trade down.
    sosa39rams and DE_Ramfan like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Basically, you can't go wrong. Just pick your flavor.
    Kind of reminds me of the discussions over Eugene Monroe vs Jason Smith prior to the draft back in 2009. We had the #2 overall pick that year as well. Who did I prefer? Jason Smith. He supposedly had a mean streak, a violent side, and was labeled a "mauler" He "mauled" our salary cap and that was about it ..

This year, I think I'm with Mike - better safe than sorry.
    RealRam, r8rh8rmike and RockinRam like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I hate that you guys keep comparing Jason Smith to Greg Robinson. They couldn't be further apart. Smith is a low-life who obviously never gave 1 damn about football. He had no passion and drive to succeed, not to mention he was soft and had concussion problems. Robinson is 100x a better prospect than Smith. He came out a year early because he had to feed his family...Outside of being good at run blocking they have nothing in common.

You can teach pass pro, especially with an amazing coach like Paul Bouadreau who has made many guys' careers. Give me the guy that you can't teach: Measurable's, nasty, power, strength, length, girth.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Kind of reminds me of the discussions over Eugene Monroe vs Jason Smith prior to the draft back in 2009. We had the #2 overall pick that year as well. Who did I prefer? Jason Smith. He supposedly had a mean streak, a violent side, and was labeled a "mauler" He "mauled" our salary cap and that was about it ..

This year, I think I'm with Mike - better safe than sorry.
    Since were bringing up the past, should I also mention that Jeff Fisher has never drafted an O-Lineman in the first round before?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Since were bringing up the past, should I also mention that Jeff Fisher has never drafted an O-Lineman in the first round before?
    Are you sure about that?

Go Rams!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I hate that you guys keep comparing Jason Smith to Greg Robinson. They couldn't be further apart. Smith is a low-life who obviously never gave 1 damn about football. He had no passion and drive to succeed, not to mention he was soft and had concussion problems. Robinson is 100x a better prospect than Smith. He came out a year early because he had to feed his family...Outside of being good at run blocking they have nothing in common.
    Your comment is rather ridiculous, as it's entirely based in hindsight. Scouting reports at the time praised Smith for his leadership, competitiveness, and work habits.

No one should be making any predictions about Greg Robinson's future success based solely on what Jason Smith did or didn't do in the NFL, but there certainly are some situational similarities between 2009 and now, at least when it comes to the debate we find ourselves in between these two prospects.
    RockinRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    No one should be making any predictions about Greg Robinson's future success based solely on what Jason Smith did or didn't do in the NFL, but there certainly are some situational similarities between 2009 and now, at least when it comes to the debate we find ourselves in between these two prospects.
    Agreed. My comparison between Smith and Robinson was based on perceptions going into the draft that both were/are, considered less polished prospects with "potentially" high ceilings. If the Rams stay at #2, I'd rather see them minimize the risk, and go with Matthews, who is widely considered the most pro ready offensive lineman in the draft. IMO, the Rams don't have the luxury of grooming a prospect, and hoping he reaches his potential.

For those making references to Alex Barron and Jason Smith, let me remind you that Greg Robinson is a different person. Each of them have a different set of parents, and as far as I know, they are not even related.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-23-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    For those making references to Alex Barron and Jason Smith, let me remind you that Greg Robinson is a different person. Each of them have a different set of parents, and as far as I know, they are not even related.
    Again, the comparison is based on widely held perceptions going into the draft. Sure, they are different people, but they're seen as similar in development coming out of college, unrefined. Thanks for the reminder anyway.

Again, the comparison is based on widely held perceptions going into the draft. Sure, they are different people, but they're seen as similar in development coming out of college, unrefined. Thanks for the reminder anyway.
    And that is as far as the comparison goes.

I'm sure hundreds of players have been seen as similar in development at this stage. Some go on to stardom and some don't.

I just find it curious that you chose the negative side of the arguement to hang your hat on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast