Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: NFL Combine Preview: Weights and Measures to Watch

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

NFL Combine Preview: Weights and Measures to Watch

With the NFL Combine coming up in a couple of weeks, its time to really start looking ahead to the draft. Here are the weights and measures that I think will have a big impact on the first round and, particularly, the Rams' early selections:

40 Yard Dash

Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    Start with the obvious one. Many believe that Blackmon’s timed speed will prove to be pedestrian. While we can certainly debate whether a time in the 4.55-4.60 range precludes him from being an elite prospect, I think we can all agree that if he surprises and runs a sub-4.50, he’ll cement his status as a top 10 selection.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
    We know he’s talented, and very disruptive (17.0 TFL, 8.5 sacks in 2011). The question is, what is his position? Some at the Senior bowl suggested that despite being undersized for the position at 6’2, 265 lbs., he might fit as a 4-3. In my view, if he can run below a 4.70, he could be a beast at OLB in either a 3-4 or a 4-3.

Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
    The knock on Jeffery is that he got out of shape in the 2011 offseason, suggesting a lack of commitment. While his weigh-in and “eyeball test” will be important, the key with Jeffery will by the 40. If he can “carry” his weight and still run below a 4.50, he could end his current slide and secure a first round grade.

Height

Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
    RG3 is listed at 6’2, but he might not be quite that tall. At what point would his stock drop? 6’1??? 6’0??? 5’11??? As he is the reason the Rams might have the opportunity to trade the second pick, this bears watching.

Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
    While Wright is likely to light up the 40 yard dash, his height could be as big a factor in determining his draft status. He’s listed at 5’10. If he falls short of that mark, well… when was the last time a 5’9 WR was taken in the first round?

Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
    Claiborne’s performance this year was so good, I doubt he’ll fall beyond the first half or Round 1, but his height could determine whether he’s a top 7-8 pick, or falls to middle of the first round. I’ve read some reports suggesting he is not 6’0, as some have him listed.

Weight

Matt Kalil, OT, USC
    He’s listed at 295 lbs. That is marginal for an NFL LT. If that is, in fact, his weight, he’d better be a beast on the bench press. My guess is he will show up at the Combine having added 10-15 lbs of muscle, bringing him in line with the standard LT size. He’ll need to carry the weight well, or some could question whether his “playing weight” might be lighter than optimal.

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
    He’s rumored to be one of the most agile 350 lb. players you’ll ever see. But, with any player that big, if he’s not “in shape” (i.e. shows up at 360+), that will be a big red flag. If you’re Poe (or his agent), you may want to throw the name “Vince Wilfork” around a lot in front of NFL scouts.

Bench Press

Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina
    Brown is a superb athlete. The biggest question, though, will be whether he will be able to hold up at the point of attack playing at around 230 lbs. The bench press will, rightly or wrongly, be deemed by many as a litmus test of this ability. If he is viewed as “strong,” some will overlook his size.

Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    Everyone is looking for the next great TE, and Fleener is at the top of this year’s class. The concern will be whether he’s just a big receiver, or if he can perform the full array of TE duties. His strength will be in question, and his bench press will be seen as the barometer.

Short Shuttle

Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
    Some view him as the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. Others see him as a very solid RB, but not a top 10 pick. The 40 time will be important for Richardson, but many will also be interested in his quickness or “football speed.” If he is viewed as exceptional in that category, he’ll be a lock for a premium pick.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Combine Preview: Weights and Measures to Watch

I'm sure RG3 will throw out the names Michael Vick and Drew Brees if he's questioned about his height. So I doubt that would affect his draft status.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Short Shuttle

Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
    Good point.

Another number that will get some press (pun intended) is Richardson's bench number. He's a RB that will put up as many or more reps than the FBs. I don't know that bench reps is an uber-important number for scouting a RB, but his number will be amazingly high for the position.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'm sure RG3 will throw out the names Michael Vick and Drew Brees if he's questioned about his height. So I doubt that would affect his draft status.
    I'd say he'd bring up Brees more than Vick. I don't think that RG3 wants to be viewed in the same light as Vick, who is an athlete first/QB second, nor should he be, given the quality of his arm. Maybe his role model should be Fran Tarkenton, who played at 6'0, 190 lbs.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd say he'd bring up Brees more than Vick. I don't think that RG3 wants to be viewed in the same light as Vick, who is an athlete first/QB second, nor should he be, given the quality of his arm. Maybe his role model should be Fran Tarkenton, who played at 6'0, 190 lbs.
    Point taken, but I was just looking at it from the stance that you can be successful in the NFL in spite of your lack of ideal height. Not because he would want to immulate Vick or even Brees for that matter.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
    If he falls short of that mark, well… when was the last time a 5’9 WR was taken in the first round?
    DeSean Jackson came in at 5'9 and a half if my memory is correct.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    And drafted in the 2nd round.
    TekeRam and Rammed like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

And also Jackson is pretty much a one trick pony. If he's not running a 9 route, he's not catching the ball.
    I believe!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Our very own Mark Clayton came in at a close 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    And drafted in the 2nd round.
    What could have been, could have had our very own productive Diva.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

What do you guys say about making a sticky thread that has updated results of combine events for key players?

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    What do you guys say about making a sticky thread that has updated results of combine events for key players?
    Yeah, we'll definitely do that when the Combine starts.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

i think the most important one is Kalil...

idk y no one has touched on it yet but we all know saffold struggled vs. the bull rush so what makes you think someone about 20 pounds lighter wont?

Kalil's weight really has me questioning him however if he comes in over 310 i would have to re-think his evaluation

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'm interested in seeing Blackmon and Jeffery's combine numbers the most. Watching Jeffery in college, I can see that his speed (while not top notch) is very similar to Brandon Lloyds. The one keyword for that is deceptive, good acceleration control and relies on that attribute to get quality separation while his size can already provide moving the chains. The only thing he needs to work on is route running, which can be polished with good coaching.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I'm interested in seeing Blackmon and Jeffery's combine numbers the most. Watching Jeffery in college, I can see that his speed (while not top notch) is very similar to Brandon Lloyds. The one keyword for that is deceptive, good acceleration control and relies on that attribute to get quality separation while his size can already provide moving the chains. The only thing he needs to work on is route running, which can be polished with good coaching.
    Agreed, man. As is every year with the combine, I am most excited for the receivers.

Interesting Tweet from Albert Breer:

@AlbertBreer Albert Breer
    Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon told me he plans to "do it all", including the 40, at the combine. Said he thinks he'll run 4.4/low 4.5s.
    I'm glad Blackmon is planning to run at the Combine. I don't think it would look good for him to wait until his Pro Day, where he could be perceived as "stacking the deck" with conditions that could boost his time.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-07-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast