Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Arrow NFL Draft Countdown Mock 4/18

The 2008 Mock Draft
    By Scott Wright
    Updated April 18, 2008

1. Miami Dolphins - Jake Long OT Michigan - Back in mid-March I was one of the first, if not the first, people to have Jake Long going #1 overall to Miami and I am sticking with it because that is the most logical direction for them to go. A strong case can certainly be made for Vernon Gholston, there's no question about that, but the bottom line is offensive tackle addresses a greater need while also making a lot more sense financially. Miami has absolutely nothing on the roster at offensive tackle beyond Vernon Carey while they currently have a bunch of pass rushing outside linebackers so strictly in terms of "need" Jake Long is a slam-dunk. Perhaps more importantly though at $30+ million guaranteed, which is what the #1 pick will cost, Jake Long will actually be a good value whereas giving a 3-4 OLB that type of money would be grossly overpaying to the tune of 33% since proven Pro Bowl performers like Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter only got $20 million and that was on the open market. Also, there is a reason Jon Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and even Flozell Adams have played for one team their entire careers. Teams that have top offensive tackles simply do not let them get away so the only way to land one is to draft him. Miami will no doubt do their best to try and make a deal to trade down but at this point it doesn't appear as though anyone wants to come up so for all the reasons I listed Jake Long gets the edge over Vernon Gholston.

2. St. Louis Rams - Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State - It is beginning to look more and more like this will be a defensive lineman for the Rams. If Jake Long is here he will likely be the pick but if he goes #1 then St. Louis will choose between Gholston, Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long. There has been a lot of chatter about how much the Rams love Dorsey but defensive end is a much more pressing need than tackle and they have to find somebody who can pressure the quarterback. The Rams only had 31 sacks all of last season and as good as Dorsey is he'll never be a double-digit sack guy at the next level, that's just not the type of player he is. On the other hand if you get Gholston's speed and athleticism coming off the edge on the turf in that dome and you could really have something. Simply put: Dorsey doesn't solve their problems, Gholston does. Maybe they'll take Dorsey after all but that would be a mistake. This is one of the pivotal turning points in the 2008 Draft and depending on what St. Louis does here the rest of the Top 10 could go in three or four distinctly different directions.

33. Sam Baker OT USC - Orlando Pace played in just 9 games the past two seasons combined so they need insurance.

65. Mario Manningham WR Michigan - With Isaac Bruce gone they are perilously thin at wideout behind Torry Holt and Drew Bennett.

:l

-jake-

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Draft Countdown Mock 4/18

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    The 2008 Mock Draft
    By Scott Wright
    Updated April 18, 2008

1. Miami Dolphins - Jake Long OT Michigan - Back in mid-March I was one of the first, if not the first, people to have Jake Long going #1 overall to Miami and I am sticking with it because that is the most logical direction for them to go. A strong case can certainly be made for Vernon Gholston, there's no question about that, but the bottom line is offensive tackle addresses a greater need while also making a lot more sense financially. Miami has absolutely nothing on the roster at offensive tackle beyond Vernon Carey while they currently have a bunch of pass rushing outside linebackers so strictly in terms of "need" Jake Long is a slam-dunk. Perhaps more importantly though at $30+ million guaranteed, which is what the #1 pick will cost, Jake Long will actually be a good value whereas giving a 3-4 OLB that type of money would be grossly overpaying to the tune of 33% since proven Pro Bowl performers like Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter only got $20 million and that was on the open market. Also, there is a reason Jon Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and even Flozell Adams have played for one team their entire careers. Teams that have top offensive tackles simply do not let them get away so the only way to land one is to draft him. Miami will no doubt do their best to try and make a deal to trade down but at this point it doesn't appear as though anyone wants to come up so for all the reasons I listed Jake Long gets the edge over Vernon Gholston.

2. St. Louis Rams - Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State - It is beginning to look more and more like this will be a defensive lineman for the Rams. If Jake Long is here he will likely be the pick but if he goes #1 then St. Louis will choose between Gholston, Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long. There has been a lot of chatter about how much the Rams love Dorsey but defensive end is a much more pressing need than tackle and they have to find somebody who can pressure the quarterback. The Rams only had 31 sacks all of last season and as good as Dorsey is he'll never be a double-digit sack guy at the next level, that's just not the type of player he is. On the other hand if you get Gholston's speed and athleticism coming off the edge on the turf in that dome and you could really have something. Simply put: Dorsey doesn't solve their problems, Gholston does. Maybe they'll take Dorsey after all but that would be a mistake. This is one of the pivotal turning points in the 2008 Draft and depending on what St. Louis does here the rest of the Top 10 could go in three or four distinctly different directions.

33. Sam Baker OT USC - Orlando Pace played in just 9 games the past two seasons combined so they need insurance.

65. Mario Manningham WR Michigan - With Isaac Bruce gone they are perilously thin at wideout behind Torry Holt and Drew Bennett.

:l

-jake-
    Wow, Manningham drops all the way to 65. I would be fine with those picks and would consider that a solid first three.
    Just Fix It

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

That works for me. I still say the more well-rounded DE would be the better choice, but I wouldn't complain about it.

P.S. I hate that Orlando Scandrick goes at #66.....I'm hoping he'll be there in the 4th.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Wow. Vernon Gholston > Chris Long. I thought I'd never see the day.

Either way, I like both candidates and will be pleased with one of the two. Anything out of that, I'd have to scratch my head.

And Manningham that late in the draft? wow.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I would not be very happy with those selections.

Gholston - I like him, but I like Chris Long better.

Baker - he's on my 10 foot pole list. Had a horrible Pro Day according to reports. Looked stiff and unathletic.

Manningham - Yeah. That's what we need. A WR who ran a 4.6+ at the Combine and has a history of failed drug tests.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I'd much rather have C. Long than Gholston, but I don't mind the 2nd and 3rd round choices at all.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I would not be very happy with those selections.

Gholston - I like him, but I like Chris Long better.

Baker - he's on my 10 foot pole list. Had a horrible Pro Day according to reports. Looked stiff and unathletic.

Manningham - Yeah. That's what we need. A WR who ran a 4.6+ at the Combine and has a history of failed drug tests.
    Oh, it's not as bad as all that, is it? I agree with the Gholston/Long aspect, but Baker is indicative of the talent available in the 2nd, and Manningham, who to his defense ran a 4.42 at his pro day, certainly has all the skills.........as long as the Rams are comfortable with any character issues.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Oh, it's not as bad as all that, is it? I agree with the Gholston/Long aspect, but Baker is indicative of the talent available in the 2nd, and Manningham, who to his defense ran a 4.42 at his pro day, certainly has all the skills.........as long as the Rams are comfortable with any character issues.
    With Devaney, it looks pretty slim that Manningham gets picked.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If Manningham is there in the 3rd I think we need to take him as he's a borderline first round talent. Yes, he had some behavioral issues, but if we can satisfy ourselves with that, then its a value pick we shouldn't refuse.

As for Baker, he's on my 10 foot pole list too... but that's mainly because he's a Trojan. Av's right though, he looked horrid at his pro day, I'd rather reach for Nicks or go WR in the second.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What makes me shiver a little is that a majority of the OT's broadly considered "Day One Picks" do not fall below the late second. That means if we're going to grab a guy like Hardy in round 2, chances are, we'll have to settle for a Carl Nicks in the third.

Interesting that Manningham falls, but moreso, that Reggie Smith does. He might a worth heir apparent to Corey Chavous if he falls into the third round.

Moreover, though he's currently going in the second in this projection, I'd absolutely love to see Patrick Lee in horns.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I'm not fond of Baker, but I agree with what Wright said in the chat that Manningham is a perfect fit for us. He ran a 4.38 40 at Michigan's Pro Day. Given his record as a deep threat, I'd tend to figure the pro day numbers are a better reflection of what he is capable of. He is fast, has good hands, makes tough catches, runs routes well, picks up yards after the catch, and they say he comes up with big plays when it really counts. Using a high second round pick on him is arguably a justifiable risk, but picking up in the third would qualify as a steal in my opinion.

keith m. klink Guest

Istill can't justify Gholston at #2 and i won't change my mind . if the RAMS feel that BAKER is the pick in the 2nd round and is worth that selection , then get him .

As for MANNINGHAM . NFL combine , told a LIE to the COACHES about DRUGS USE . HE told a LIE that he knew they would find out about , and they are suppose to hire this guy . If he was that dumb last month , he's that dumb this month .

I'll take W. FRANKLIN , or D. AVERY or someone other than him .

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

What do you mean you can't justify it? Rams need explosive pass rusher, Gholston is explosive pass rusher.

Hmm...player that was supposed to be first round talent, but character issues dropped him into the third where he was picked up by the Rams. Anyone you know? Who isn't starting?

USC Linemen haven't been doing that well in the recent years. Winston Justice was supposed to be first round talent, those guards with the names with all vowels haven't been that great either.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    As for MANNINGHAM . NFL combine , told a LIE to the COACHES about DRUGS USE . HE told a LIE that he knew they would find out about , and they are suppose to hire this guy . If he was that dumb last month , he's that dumb this month .
    Sure, it was stupid, but he wouldn't be the first to have lied in an interview process. Even successful coaches such as George O'Leary and even the Vikings' former VP of Pro Personnel, Fran Foley have mischaracterized items in their past. Truth be told, without access to interview transcripts, we don't know whether this was a flat out lie, a misunderstanding, or somewhere between. I'm just saying if we don't trust injury rumors, how do we know whether this hasn't been blown out of proportion, too? After all, we seem to be relying on the same kind of "my insider sources tell me" kind of reporting on this as we do the other.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Hard to deny Gholston's potential, or the other hand - for a club that
    has whiffed repeatedly on guys with great numbers and loads of potential, it's hard to deny his disappearing in games and even against mediocre teams.

It's true that good teams have the luxury of taking a shot and trying
    to develop guys.

He is an intriguing player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast